Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Gas Prices Hypothetical

Old 09-01-2005 | 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 bucks a gallon is not bad atall.

over here i pay just alittle under
Old 09-02-2005 | 03:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up. On the east coast (NOVA) I still see the same old people on the road no traffic change but then again our gas prices just hit 3.00 yesterday so I will see if this changes anything....
Old 09-02-2005 | 03:34 AM

I'll never hang up my keys. Let the prices of fuel rise, the US still doesn't pay as much as most other places in the world. If the costs result in even one less person off the road, the better for me and my drive.
Old 09-02-2005 | 04:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good points!

Wish the same thing to happen in Greece! Until now gas is up and traffic keeps up!
Old 09-02-2005 | 04:42 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good stuff.
Old 09-02-2005 | 07:22 AM

excellent write-up.

the only thing I don't like about higher oil prices (resulting in the higher fuel prices we're seeing) is that the House of Saud and other Middle Eastern monarchs are becoming even more outrageously wealthy.
Old 09-02-2005 | 07:43 AM

I paid 3.68$ in NJ last night, but there was no traffic coming over the GW Bridge so It all equaled out in my mind
Old 09-02-2005 | 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by zboy,Sep 1 2005, 12:35 PM
Eternally optimistic.
Agreed.

What we're seeing now, with regards to less traffic, is more a reaction to the unknown, basic shock and fear. If gas slowly goes up to $8 a gallon, but then levels off, everyone will go back to driving just as much as they did, though they may purchase another car for long trips or trade their current car for something that gets better gas mileage.

Again, look at the price we pay for water.

Nothing is going to stop Americans from doing what they want to do, $12 a gallon is fine with me, I'll just buy an R6 to communte to work on and save my car for the times I need to haul things/people.
Old 09-02-2005 | 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by S4_dukar,Sep 1 2005, 12:47 PM
With the rise of gas price increase being discussed in numerous forums - including this one, I thought I present a brain teaser hypothetical for you guys to ponder about.

Since I live in So Cal, so this theory would be directed towards only Southern Californians.

Ever since gas prices increased to $3 per gallon, I have personally noticed there is less traffic on the freeways, even during rush hour. On Friday Night, it took me 1 1/2 hour to go from Irvine CA to Porter Ranch CA - Distance about 80 miles; this is during rush hour traffic! Normally this trip would take an average about 2 1/2 - 3 hours back when gas prices were in the mid $2 per gallon. Of course, my logic would lead me to believe if gas prices increased to $4 dollars per gallon, the drop in traffic would be considerable. People who travel on the freeway to and from work everyday averages about 15-25 miles of work traveling, not to include all of their weekly traveling such as groceries, and going out to have fun. Now given that your average car consumes about 14 gallons per fill up, and given distance during rush hour of traveling; it would be safe to say most people fill up 1 1/2 times per week, thats roughly 5-6 times per month.

Lets address the first issue... traffic. Stop and go traffic by far is the most harmful to your car no matter what you drive. Given the reduce traffic, stop and go traffic on the freeway has greatly decreased; ultimately giving your car (brakes, clutch, and gas mileage) a break. So right there it saves you wear and tear on your car.

I did a break down for pricing for my car. I would have to spend an additional $10 per month per .50 cents of gas price increase; Thats NOTHING.

Personally I wouldn't mind if gas prices went to $4.00 per gallon. Not to mention all the uninsured drivers out there would probably park their POS at home and not roam around the streets posing a threat to the rest of us.

Increase in Gas prices means all the soccer moms would limit their traveling to once a week, as opposed to 2 or 3 times per week. Also SUV's Trucks, and other large displacement engine vehicles wouldn't be around as much - Great for us because we drive small cars.

So less traffic, less soccer moms in their SUV's, lets rednecks running around in their trucks, less uninsured motorist running around in their POS, less high school kids (most of them get money from parents)

Personally, I think we all will be a lot safer now that gas prices is going up!

So for high gas prices!!

I don't like higher gas prices because I'm a cheap bastard, but even an increase of $1.50 a gallon would not have a significant inpact on my wallet.
Old 09-02-2005 | 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is it won't be just gasoline that increases in price.
Every item from food to furniture will increase in price due to the higher shipping costs. I for one would gladly live with a little longer commute in return for a lower cost of living.
Unfortunately I believe that there are going to be longer term effects to this spike than most of us anticipate.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices Hypothetical