Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Gas Prices Hypothetical

Old 09-01-2005 | 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Prices Hypothetical

With the rise of gas price increase being discussed in numerous forums - including this one, I thought I present a brain teaser hypothetical for you guys to ponder about.

Since I live in So Cal, so this theory would be directed towards only Southern Californians.

Ever since gas prices increased to $3 per gallon, I have personally noticed there is less traffic on the freeways, even during rush hour. On Friday Night, it took me 1 1/2 hour to go from Irvine CA to Porter Ranch CA - Distance about 80 miles; this is during rush hour traffic! Normally this trip would take an average about 2 1/2 - 3 hours back when gas prices were in the mid $2 per gallon. Of course, my logic would lead me to believe if gas prices increased to $4 dollars per gallon, the drop in traffic would be considerable. People who travel on the freeway to and from work everyday averages about 15-25 miles of work traveling, not to include all of their weekly traveling such as groceries, and going out to have fun. Now given that your average car consumes about 14 gallons per fill up, and given distance during rush hour of traveling; it would be safe to say most people fill up 1 1/2 times per week, thats roughly 5-6 times per month.

Lets address the first issue... traffic. Stop and go traffic by far is the most harmful to your car no matter what you drive. Given the reduce traffic, stop and go traffic on the freeway has greatly decreased; ultimately giving your car (brakes, clutch, and gas mileage) a break. So right there it saves you wear and tear on your car.

I did a break down for pricing for my car. I would have to spend an additional $10 per month per .50 cents of gas price increase; Thats NOTHING.

Personally I wouldn't mind if gas prices went to $4.00 per gallon. Not to mention all the uninsured drivers out there would probably park their POS at home and not roam around the streets posing a threat to the rest of us.

Increase in Gas prices means all the soccer moms would limit their traveling to once a week, as opposed to 2 or 3 times per week. Also SUV's Trucks, and other large displacement engine vehicles wouldn't be around as much - Great for us because we drive small cars.

So less traffic, less soccer moms in their SUV's, lets rednecks running around in their trucks, less uninsured motorist running around in their POS, less high school kids (most of them get money from parents)

Personally, I think we all will be a lot safer now that gas prices is going up!

So for high gas prices!!
Old 09-01-2005 | 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by S4_dukar,Sep 1 2005, 10:47 AM
With the rise of gas price increase being discussed in numerous forums - including this one, I thought I present a brain teaser hypothetical for you guys to ponder about.

Since I live in So Cal, so this theory would be directed towards only Southern Californians.

Ever since gas prices increased to $3 per gallon, I have personally noticed there is less traffic on the freeways, even during rush hour. On Friday Night, it took me 1 1/2 hour to go from Irvine CA to Porter Ranch CA - Distance about 80 miles; this is during rush hour traffic! Normally this trip would take an average about 2 1/2 - 3 hours back when gas prices were in the mid $2 per gallon. Of course, my logic would lead me to believe if gas prices increased to $4 dollars per gallon, the drop in traffic would be considerable. People who travel on the freeway to and from work everyday averages about 15-25 miles of work traveling, not to include all of their weekly traveling such as groceries, and going out to have fun. Now given that your average car consumes about 14 gallons per fill up, and given distance during rush hour of traveling; it would be safe to say most people fill up 1 1/2 times per week, thats roughly 5-6 times per month.

Lets address the first issue... traffic. Stop and go traffic by far is the most harmful to your car no matter what you drive. Given the reduce traffic, stop and go traffic on the freeway has greatly decreased; ultimately giving your car (brakes, clutch, and gas mileage) a break. So right there it saves you wear and tear on your car.

I did a break down for pricing for my car. I would have to spend an additional $10 per month per .50 cents of gas price increase; Thats NOTHING.

Personally I wouldn't mind if gas prices went to $4.00 per gallon. Not to mention all the uninsured drivers out there would probably park their POS at home and not roam around the streets posing a threat to the rest of us.

Increase in Gas prices means all the soccer moms would limit their traveling to once a week, as opposed to 2 or 3 times per week. Also SUV's Trucks, and other large displacement engine vehicles wouldn't be around as much - Great for us because we drive small cars.

So less traffic, less soccer moms in their SUV's, lets rednecks running around in their trucks, less uninsured motorist running around in their POS, less high school kids (most of them get money from parents)

Personally, I think we all will be a lot safer now that gas prices is going up!

So for high gas prices!!
Nice write up. Made a lot of good points, I also live in Socal (Riverside area) and I've noticed less traffic on the 91 freeway(somtimes) as of late, which is horrible usually up until 9-10 at night sometimes.
Old 09-01-2005 | 12:35 PM

Eternally optimistic.
Old 09-01-2005 | 01:21 PM

WOW. Based on the increase of gas if you bought six 55gal drums and a pump you could save almost $200 bucks in four months or more.

-Chris
Old 09-01-2005 | 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

moving to S2000talk
Old 09-01-2005 | 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there any solid proof there the reason there are less cars on the highways now is directly related to gas prices? I think its possible that since the long weekend is coming up, many people take vacations before or after the long weekend, so there would naturally be less cars this week and next week. Still got a few good points though
Old 09-01-2005 | 05:26 PM

I read a few days ago that revenues from state gasoline taxes are down because people are driving less or using the vehicle which gets the better mileage. That appears to be the first bit of data confirming that there may be less traffic on the roads due to higher gasoline prices.
Old 09-01-2005 | 06:43 PM
Banned

Nice writeup
Old 09-01-2005 | 06:44 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

They will jack it up to $5.00/gallon,for a couple of weeks,then will bring it down to $3.50,and everybody will think,It's a bargain.!
Old 09-01-2005 | 07:02 PM

The New Jersey state government has been trying this method of increasing gas prices to decrease auto traffic for a while. I've been told that when gas was around $2.50 that half was a "use tax" from the state level.

I'm not sure if this has had a material affect on NJ's traffic but I do know it has effected my wallet.

Chris

Quick Reply: Gas Prices Hypothetical