Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Finally got ticketed for no front plates

Old 01-21-2010 | 12:42 PM

very frustrating......seems ya can never just run and pick-up a case of beer when ur feeling it.....thank goodness i'm moving again lol
Old 01-21-2010 | 12:45 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Teawins21,Jan 21 2010, 12:27 PM
So if you hit a wall at 30 with the license plate wedged between the windshield and the dashboard, that plate is going to fly backwards at 30mph and hit you in the face? I'm not physicist by any means but I just can't see that happening.
Re-read my post. Where did I say you hit the barrier head on?
Old 01-21-2010 | 02:24 PM

Ok... and re-read my post. I didn't say that you said anything about hitting a barrier head on. However, I do see how my post can imply that. Also, it's pretty hard assume from your post you meant hitting the wall with your rear end. Obviously side impact could be thrown out because a 30mph side impact on a s2000 would not be fun. At the same time by you stating that it's going to fly at your like a frisbee doesn't make sense given the angle of the how the plate sits on our dash board...

You are assuming that I believe it's impossible to recieve any kind of damage from a unsecured plate in your dash. That's not true.

But has there ever been any report of somebody getting killed or hurt by a plate that was placed on the dash? Just out of a local group of friends, I know there are atleast 10 people I know of that run their front plates like this.

anyway, like I said.. I'm not physicist so I really don't want to argue about this because I could be completely wrong. If it makes you happy, I retract my statement of, "It's probably not that dangerous..."
Old 01-21-2010 | 02:37 PM

My ex girlfriend got her her cheek bruised by a half filled water bottle when she got T-boned.

I'd say you got a pretty good chance of getting cut up if your license plate is flying around the cabin.
Old 01-21-2010 | 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by JasonX82,Jan 20 2010, 05:23 PM
In CA, You dont even have to be in the car to get plate tickets!!!

Talk about Service NIceee!!!
True Dat!

I got one of these while my car was parked at the train station WITH A CAR COVER ON IT!!

I roll up the cover and placed on my windshield was a ticket for no plates.

Yup, instead of catching criminals (who have stolen stereos from the same lot) they have the time to lift my cover and write me a ticket.
Old 01-21-2010 | 05:31 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Teawins21,Jan 21 2010, 03:24 PM
Ok... and re-read my post. I didn't say that you said anything about hitting a barrier head on. However, I do see how my post can imply that. Also, it's pretty hard assume from your post you meant hitting the wall with your rear end. Obviously side impact could be thrown out because a 30mph side impact on a s2000 would not be fun. At the same time by you stating that it's going to fly at your like a frisbee doesn't make sense given the angle of the how the plate sits on our dash board...

You are assuming that I believe it's impossible to recieve any kind of damage from a unsecured plate in your dash. That's not true.

But has there ever been any report of somebody getting killed or hurt by a plate that was placed on the dash? Just out of a local group of friends, I know there are atleast 10 people I know of that run their front plates like this.

anyway, like I said.. I'm not physicist so I really don't want to argue about this because I could be completely wrong. If it makes you happy, I retract my statement of, "It's probably not that dangerous..."
If you think n=10 is somehow sufficient to suggest safety...

If you hit a fixed barrier at 30mph and the license plate comes flying at you... whether straight on or spinning like a frisbee, you're going to take damage.

I didn't say that the plate was going to fly at you like a frisbee. I was trying to impress upon you that getting hit with the sharp edge of a license plate would be bad. If I had said, "it'll fly at you straight," you may have said, "I don't think it'd fly at me straight... it'd turn over and hit me with the flat part." I was trying to make the point.

Plenty of people don't appreciate the dangers that they put themselves in every day.

License plate in windshield = bad, unless you're riveting that bad boy to your dash.

http://abstracts.iovs.org/cgi/conten...ract/46/5/5033
Ocular Injury Tolerance to Projectile Impacts During Motor Vehicle Collisions
J.C. Boak1, C. Lau1, A.J. Bellezza2, A. Saari1 and P.A. Cripton1
1 Mechanical Engineering, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
2 Exponent Failure Analysis Associates, Philadelphia, PA

Commercial Relationships: J.C. Boak, None; C. Lau, None; A.J. Bellezza, None; A. Saari, None; P.A. Cripton, None.

Support: Partners for the Advancement of Collaborative Engineering Education (PACE) General Motors Canada

Abstract

Purpose:

Injury due to small projectiles contacting the eye at high velocity can be devastating because of potential loss of vision. Ocular injury tolerance data can aid automotive design by recommending limits on the allowable speed, mass, and shape of projectiles associated with airbag deployment or vehicle damage during motor vehicle collisions. Our objective was to synthesize the available eye injury tolerance literature to identify any gaps in eye tolerance data that could be critical for automotive safety design.

Methods:

STAPP Car Crash Conference Proceedings and Pubmed databases were searched via keyword, topic, and related papers. Special attention was paid to corneal and scleral injuries as these appear to be the minimum threshold for vision–threatening eye injury due to projectile impact.

Results:

Impacting the eye with projectiles of different size, shape, mass and speed result in different injury patterns and different minimum injury thresholds. Kinetic energy and momentum are projectile parameters commonly presented as experimental injury criteria for the eye. Foam particles with momentum between 7130 and 39,890 mg*m/s caused corneal abrasions ranging from 10% to 75% of corneal surface area. Sharp projectiles with tip angles between 30 and 45 degrees penetrated the cornea when traveling with 10 to 90 mg*m/s of momentum. Metal BB's can cause scleral globe rupture when fired at the eye with at least 22,400 mg*m/s of momentum or 0.67 J of kinetic energy. Blunt metal projectiles with a diameter between 12.5 mm and 4.5 mm were found to rupture the sclera when impacting with more than 2.08 J of kinetic energy. With increasing diameter, projectiles require more energy to rupture the sclera.

Conclusions:

Neither kinetic energy nor momentum alone represent a sufficient injury tolerance criterion because different injuries of different severity can be caused by two impacts with the same energy or momentum due to projectile shape parameters such as sharpness. Therefore in order to incorporate ocular mechanical deformation effects, we conclude that ocular injury tolerance should additionally be quantified by the globe strain and strain rate.

A new experimental study is needed to assess the relationship between mass, speed, size, shape and the type of injury caused when projectiles impact the eye. The parameters should span the gap between the sharp and blunt projectiles previously studied. Eye response should include mechanical loading parameters such as globe and cornea local stresses and strains.
Old 01-21-2010 | 05:33 PM
Banned

I just say Fuk the police and be done with it. They are only meter maids with a gun, they have the bad attitude because they fail at life and the only way they can gain any sense of selfworth is being a tool and stealing money for the state.
Old 01-21-2010 | 05:36 PM
Former Moderator

From the data:
Blunt metal projectiles with a diameter between 12.5 mm and 4.5 mm were found to rupture the sclera when impacting with more than 2.08 J of kinetic energy.

If the leading edge of the plate striking the eye had a 4.5-12.5 mm thickness.
Assuming the plate was 2/10ths of a pound and flying at 30mph.

Conversions:
m = 0.2 pound = 0.09071847399995 kilogram
v = 30 mile/hour = 13.4112 meter/second
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solution:
kinetic energy (K) = 8.1583253141561 joule

That plate has 4x enough energy to burst your eyeball.

Have fun with that.
Old 01-21-2010 | 07:19 PM

Honestly, I just skimmed though the majority of your post. I do apologize if I missed anything important. You obviously have more time and effort than I to try and do all this research.

Like I said, for the third time, I'm not arguing that you can't get injured from the plate! I'm not sure what you don't understand about that.

Tomorrow, I'm going to find all the loose change and small pieces of dirt that has fallen in my car because I think the article stated something about a BB could severely damage some part of your eye. If anything, it'll be a good excuse to clean up my car.
Old 01-21-2010 | 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kyushin,Jan 21 2010, 06:33 PM
I just say Fuk the police and be done with it. They are only meter maids with a gun, they have the bad attitude because they fail at life and the only way they can gain any sense of selfworth is being a tool and stealing money for the state.
Man, you sure do hate the popo's!

I do have to say that not all cops are so bad. I've personally met a few pretty cool cops.

Quick Reply: Finally got ticketed for no front plates