Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Finally got ticketed for no front plates

Old 01-21-2010 | 09:23 AM

lol at lunch today i told someone about the front plate ticket thing... ohio resident.. literally did not know you were required to have it on the car. thought it was optional.

he drives a ford escape. i bet he never gets pulled over for it in his life.
Old 01-21-2010 | 09:34 AM

I got pulled over for no front plate 3 times in one day, on I-45 in TX coming back from houston to dallas.

First guy pulls me over, asks me why I dont have one (i have an aftermarket front bumper) and said well go look at my front bumper, I dont have a place to put it (no holes) (yes i know this is a BS excuse ) he said ok put one up in your windshield when you can, gave me a warning.

2nd guy pulls me over, after seeing me while he was on an overpass that goes over the freeway, turns around, gets on the freeway, shoots me with radar for a few minutes, catches up to me (im going between 0-5 over at the time) gets beside me, gets in front of me, and drops back and pulls me over. No front plate, 2 cops in this car, one just checks out the car on the passenger side the whole time, other one tells me he pulled me over for no front plate, says to get one asap, i say ok, gives me a warning.

3rd guy comes out of nowhere and pulls me over, I was going 10 over at the time, but my radar detector didnt go off so I knew what was coming. Big guy, is all official and is like "SIR THE REASON FOR THE TRAFFIC STOP IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO FRONT LICENSE PLATE" (yes the caps is necessary ) I just act dumb this time, saying "oh i had no idea blah blah" guy comes back
"SIR IM GOING TO GIVE YOU A WARNING, (actually hands me a printed out warning) THIS IS NOT A VIOLATION, THERE IS NO COURT APPEARANCES etc. etc. etc.

finally made it back home. Didnt put the front plate on, dont even know where it is tbh. Sure it was a pain getting hassled, but it calls for good stories
Old 01-21-2010 | 09:40 AM
Former Moderator

I don't feel comfortable having metal projectiles in the car ready to launch into my (or my passenger's) face in the situation of a car accident.

I don't spend very much time looking at the front of my car. And I hate hassles. So I put the front plate on.
Old 01-21-2010 | 09:42 AM

lol@cops telling you to put it in the windshield. that is extremely dangerous and a terrible idea.
Old 01-21-2010 | 10:08 AM

It's probably not that dangerous. I don't there can ever be enough velocity for that plate to do any damage to you. If there is.. you're probably already dead....
Old 01-21-2010 | 10:10 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Teawins21,Jan 21 2010, 11:08 AM
It's probably not that dangerous. I don't there can ever be enough velocity for that plate to do any damage to you. If there is.. you're probably already dead....
So untrue. How much force would it take to damage an eyeball?
Old 01-21-2010 | 10:16 AM
Former Moderator

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/woman-in...aptop-20090416/
Old 01-21-2010 | 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Teawins21,Jan 21 2010, 02:08 PM
dude.. what?

car is moving at 65 mph
car hits something and stops to about 0 in only a matter of a split second
*any unsecured object in car continues to move at 65 mph*
Old 01-21-2010 | 10:31 AM
Former Moderator

30mph crash with a concrete barrier. Pretty much nobody gets hurt in an S2000. Now stand there and let me throw a license plate like a frisbee at your face at 30mph.
Old 01-21-2010 | 11:26 AM

yeah it's something a lot of people don't think about. i got it etched into my brain at a mandatory 8-hour course florida sent me to for a heavy speeding ticket (see....classes can work ) . i learned that objects often are the sole cause of death in accidents........or at the least, can mess you up; i don't have any projectiles in my rides.

anyway OP, i've never lived somewhere that required the front plate. as ur neighbor in PA, that sux

and no beer at gas stations here FTL

Quick Reply: Finally got ticketed for no front plates