Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Female equality

Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by shareall,Jan 7 2008, 11:24 AM
The thing is, it's not like switching a light. It's not a simple feat to change attitudes that have been around for eons. That's not to say people shouldn't be responsible for their own views. I'm very independent (at times to a fault), but there is still part of me that likes the feeling of being protected by my partner. Do I like it? Not especially, but it's there and so far I haven't been able to will it away.

Most of the OPs examples are less about feminism than compromise in relationships IMO. I don't like/fully understand football, but I'll watch it with the hubby once in awhile. That doesn't mean he has to watch something he doesn't like to make things equal. He could participate in something else that I enjoy and he doesn't and things will balance out.
mocky is whipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!

(don't worry. me too. ask brian how whipped I am)
Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabre,Jan 7 2008, 04:38 PM
Suffer with the S.O. for the sake of the relationship?
Personally, I don't see it as "suffering" at all. If I hated football for example, I'd try to find something else we could do together that he enjoys more than I do. If one half of the couple views compromise as suffering, neither person will be happy.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shareall,Jan 8 2008, 07:36 AM
Personally, I don't see it as "suffering" at all. If I hated football for example, I'd try to find something else we could do together that he enjoys more than I do. If one half of the couple views compromise as suffering, neither person will be happy.
If you're indifferent about something, then sometimes you do it with them because making them happy also makes you happy without being really painful for you.

There are some natural feelings that are very hard to get rid of. One that jumps to mind for me is that I HAVE to be much bigger than the girl I'm with. It's that feeling masculine and dominant feeling, that you could shield them completely if need be. Now some women would say that's ridiculous, that they can take care of themselves and don't need to be coddled by some man. Oh well. I probably will never shed that feeling, among others.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by zeiss,Jan 7 2008, 12:01 PM
Why? Is your sense of your own maleness so fragile that it is threatened by the idea that a woman might be your equal?

An incisive comment, blithely ignored by all.

1. Anyone can ask/demand anything. You have the right to respond with what you feel is appropriate. Doesn't mean that you have to give in to somebody's whining or skewed values.

Women can do just about anything I can do faster, better, and typically with more style. I'll still hold the door open and listen when needed to.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by INTJ,Jan 8 2008, 12:48 PM
Women can do just about anything I can do faster, better, and typically with more style. I'll still hold the door open and listen when needed to.
A very modest statement, one that most guys wouldn't admit. I can still aim my pee pee while standing up better than they can.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by zeiss,Jan 7 2008, 01:01 PM
Why? Is your sense of your own maleness so fragile that it is threatened by the idea that a woman might be your equal?
thats the thing, they are not equal..I see women as different, not equal.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Enthralled,Jan 8 2008, 11:57 AM
thats the thing, they are not equal..I see women as different, not equal.

trying to compare men and women is like comparing apples to oranges. i do agree that women are extremely hypocritical, but that's just how they are.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 PM

Wow. Some of you guys seem to be harboring more than a bit of ill feeling toward women. Interesting. Sad, but interesting. But hey, look on the bright side - I heard burkas.com is having a sale. Perhaps you could stock up.

Also, I'm confused - Since when did having a uterus become a prerequisite to hypocracy?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by INTJ,Jan 8 2008, 11:48 AM

An incisive comment, blithely ignored by all.

I sometimes fall into traps, but not often.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sleepy,Jan 8 2008, 02:36 PM
Wow. Some of you guys seem to be harboring more than a bit of ill feeling toward women. Interesting. Sad, but interesting. But hey, look on the bright side - I heard burkas.com is having a sale. Perhaps you could stock up.

Also, I'm confused - Since when did having a uterus become a prerequisite to hypocracy?
Have you been around any women?

Quick Reply: Female equality