Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

'The Fast and the Furious' movie

Old 06-23-2001, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw that movie last night. That movie was very good. A lot of action which I like......That asian dude driving S2000 is Korean and from what I heard, he became very popular in Korea(He was in many TV shows) because of this movie.
Old 06-24-2001, 02:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tanqueray
[B]

I've got to ask: what races weren't portrayed in a negative light?
Old 06-25-2001, 03:52 AM

No one cares man, stop makin sumthin of nuttin.
movie totally rocked, awesome summer flick., but i didnt like the way hollywood potrayed white americans.
Old 06-25-2001, 09:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lvs2k
[B]This movie is not particularly kind to Asians.
Old 06-25-2001, 10:16 AM
Member (Premium)

When's the last time you met an Asian with the name RJ... RIVERA? Rick Yune is Korean-American. Went to Wharton. Did the trader thing and then did the modeling thing for Polo and Versace. I've met him before when I was in Seoul last summer.

And as to your rant, Richard, I think all of us Asian-American guys have to deal in some ways with being stereotyped as passive, sexless individuals in the media, in the American "community." I didn't run into this type of thinking until I took an Asian-American literature class in college. The things I read and discussed during that quarter, in that course changed the way I perceive myself and the world around me. It opened up my mind.

It's going to take some time to bust through the generalizations. I'm always encouraged when fellow Asian-Americans who understand "what's up" are in the spotlight and work to bend the rules a bit. I, too, see the Asian type-casting. That one Asian dude from Goonies is still around playing nerdy roles.

Let's just do our part, you know? Whatever it may be.
Old 06-25-2001, 10:29 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't want to start a flame here, but heaven forbid that we Asians (I'm Indian....and yes, it's apart of Asia) get stereotyped to be smart and/or rich.

Granted, I've seen roles for Asians that don't deal with computers, as doctors, convenient store owners, or as kung-fu masters....and they are far and few (I'm think football player in The Replacements, King and I, Farewell my Concubine, Mississippi Masala, and so on).

However, there are worse things to be stereotyped as. I love the fact that when my clients at work see me, they see as a technical genius, but when they see me sit in or fascilitate important meetings....I'm supposed to play the passive "yes man" role. When I open my mouth and something smart comes out of it, I get twice the respect I really deserve....(once for being the business genius that I am and the other for being perceived as the technical guru).

In college, when I hung out with my fraternity brothers, who are black, we'd get stopped, searched, and get warned about causing trouble. I always felt as if the cops went easier on the group when I was with them....we dressed like college students, carried book bags, carried Marquette University student id's, etc. There were many a time I was glad that I was Asian when these situations came up.
Old 06-25-2001, 06:32 PM

Hmm... What about Mr. Baseball? It portrays postive Asian-American role models, such as the baseball manager as well as the baseball team as a whole. It even has a decent female Asian as both the love interest and the bridge between the stuck-up American player (selleck) and the coach.

Yes, the baseball team as well as the culture seems against Selleck in the beginning, but that is the same as many other newcomer-type movies. In the same genre, for example, Corbin Bersen's (sp) character in Major League, or the southern pitcher that harassed the vodoo fellow.

On the same topic, how do you folks feel about the changes made to Rising Sun to portray a WHITE villian as opposed to the ethnic Asian that performed the murder in Crichton's book?
Old 06-25-2001, 06:52 PM
pfb
Gold Member (Premium)

I usually like mindless car movies... but this one was a POS in my opinion. Ridiculous stereotypes for every group of people represented, 1/4 mile races that went on forever, every 18 year old driving a $50K+ "tuner" import, ajd the "Honda 2000" as a drag racer.

I didn't even find any of the winged, decaled and nitrous laden cars the least bit desirable, including the S2K. My favorite cars of the movie where the blown Charger and the Ferrari. The only two decal-less cars in the movie!
Old 06-25-2001, 08:13 PM

Stinker!
Old 06-25-2001, 08:45 PM

Dudes,

I saw the pre release and last sunday I saw it again. The movie is lots of fun to watch. Nice shots great cars and some bulshit. Example "What the &^%$ is a "Motec Exhaust". Motec only makes engine management systems. Attitudes are not overdone and have you ever driven a GSX with a blown engine. I did last week... By the way. The GSX (in the movie) is in reality a GS (Front wheel Drive) and changed to RWD. Also, in reality the Supra won but they turned the boost down. And further more, the Ferrari, is way slower than most cars in the movie. I guess they payed the producers a good sum. I actualy beat a faster 348 with my Turbo 16G and Link system in old Miata!! OK, I'm starting to sound negative. I is the only import car racing I know off. And the cars and driving is MUCH better than "Gone in 60 seconds". That movie was to americanized. They actualy took the Supra shots out but when you look at the list of stolen cars, they mention the Supra TT. I'm European and have driven and raced manny cars. I thing American cars are overrated Junk. The s2000 is ABSOLUTLY KILLER. Fantatic handling and a little underpowered. I also own a Supra TT (now single turbo) and these two cars are the best cars available. Today my s2000 is in the shop, so is my Supra so I had to drive the Porche 928s... I realy miss driving a real car. Go see the movie!!

Roelof.

Quick Reply: 'The Fast and the Furious' movie