Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Extent of Police powers

Old 04-08-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extent of Police powers

Okay all you lawyers two questions

#1 can the police give you a ticket for a moving violation in a parking lot (i.e. doing donuts) ?

#2 can police give you a ticket for a moving violation in your driveway ((i.e. doing donuts?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what hapened ted?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by exceltoexcel
Okay all you lawyers two questions

#1 can the police give you a ticket for a moving violation in a parking lot (i.e. doing donuts) ?

#2 can police give you a ticket for a moving violation in your driveway ((i.e. doing donuts?

Thanks

Answer is:

1: It depends. If it's a public parking lot, yes. If it's private property, no. But if the owner/proprietor asks you to leave you have to. Now check your local laws, these things can vary by state/county/city.

2: No, your driveway is private property. They cannot ticket you on /your/ private property. They can arrest you for breaking the law or ticket you on your driveway if you were just speeding on the road. (personal experience)
Old 04-08-2004, 11:19 AM

My buddy got into an accident He was driving his volvo and some lady backed in to him. His car mush have over 8K worth of damage we were all discussing rather or not the police have a right to issue a moving citation in a parking lot and if so could they do it on your drivway. Mostly it's just a burning question of authority. I don't think they should be allow to apply laws that are designed for public roads to private albit private for public use property.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:19 AM

They can do anything they want, period. All you can do is fight them in the court of law. That's what so B.S about the American judicial system.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:20 AM

Parking lot that's not your property... yes if other vehichles, people, or property is there for endangerment of property.

On your own property. As long as no one else or no one else's property is present, they can't touch you.

What happened?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:22 AM

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:22 AM

The incident can be recorded, but it will be different than a moving violation. It will be recorded as an Incident reoprt (property damage).
Old 04-08-2004, 11:23 AM

i just think cops ing suck.... plan and simple. they pick on kids who have nicer cars then they do. and just because they are older and are police officers they can talk down to people especially people around my age(20) with disrespect. i tell them to off when they act like that. never once have i got into any trouble because my father is a lawyer and i know how far they are allowed to go with me.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:23 AM

But it ultimately depends on what state you're in.

Quick Reply: Extent of Police powers