Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

excessive speed ticket

Old 02-20-2008 | 01:26 PM

Default excessive speed ticket

Hey guys
I got a speeding ticket during winter break for "110+." My brother got out of one of his tickets by sending in the written declaration from Ticket Assassin so I decided to send in the written declaration. Thing is, I got a letter saying that my citation requires a mandatory court appearance.

1. Now this happened during winter break when I was at home so my court appearance is at Superior Court. Is there a way to move the case up to the Bay area because I go to school up here.

2. What are my options? Should I get a lawyer or should I just show up to court? How much are traffic lawyers anyway?"

Also, if i hire a lawyer, do I have to show up to court or does the lawyer go in my place?

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:29 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

If you show up without a lawyer, the judge is going to suggest you reconsider.
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:30 PM

These are all details of California law and have nothing to do with S2000s. This is totally the wrong forum to be asking them.
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:39 PM

i got a ticket for 120 in a 55. paid the ticket with a check through the mail and that was that. it was around $180. not sure if it's different in your state.

if you get a lawyer you need to show up with him. thing is, i don't think you will get out of it. i would save the lawyer fees and just pay the ticket.
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted521,Feb 20 2008, 02:39 PM
i got a ticket for 120 in a 55. paid the ticket with a check through the mail and that was that. it was around $180. not sure if it's different in your state.

if you get a lawyer you need to show up with him. thing is, i don't think you will get out of it. i would save the lawyer fees and just pay the ticket.
Where do you live? I'm moving there.
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:48 PM

How old are you? If you're young, it may be in your best interest to lawyer up in hopes of at least keeping the ticket off your record by possibly getting some type of driving school/community service. Sounds like your ticket is equal to Reckless Driving which would explain why you HAVE to go to court. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:49 PM

Where did you get the ticket?

I experienced this in Calif. Definitely get yourself a lawyer that is local to where you got the ticket. They will appear in court for you and probably get you a reduced fine. If you got the ticket out of Calif, I don't know then.
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:50 PM

Good Luck...in Cali, if you're going over 100 mph thats enough to have your license suspended for 6 months last I heard and I believe its multiple points on your record...But I believe that's the worst!!! Just be happy you didn't get your car towed on the spot, yes they can do that too.

Homo Sapien is right about the situation with the judge...Give a call to a lawyer and at least get a consultation on the situation you're in so you're not in for any little surprises.

Again, Good Luck.
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:59 PM

Im from the bayarea too, I got one before going 95mph in a 55. It IS A MANDATORY apperence. If your lucky you can get the fine lowered, traffic school, etc.

But if your under 25y/o then alot can/will happen, if youve gotten speeding tickits before (w/in 2-4years) and gone to TS within 18months then more to the bad side.

Did they send you the courtisy notice? If so it should show the fine amount and info on the back and numbers to call to move the court location etc.

PM if you need more info or Q's, since ive been threw this ALOT.
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:59 PM

I hate these kinds of threads, sure cops can be assholes and give unnecessary tickets sometimes, but dude you were going 110+ mph.... wtf? And since theres a cop involved I assume it was a public road which is an idiotic thing to do IMO. Pay your ticket, and stop speeding. Stop trying to get out of a situation that your reckless driving created. You commited a crime so pay the consequences.

Im not going to lie there are times that I go well over the speed limit, but if your going more than 110 mph on a public road and start complaning because you got a ticket.... just doesnt make any sense to me...

Quick Reply: excessive speed ticket