Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Driving School Experiences?

Old 01-31-2002, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving School Experiences?

Do you guys have any recommendations or experiences with driving schools that you could share. If so was it worth the time and money and what did you learn exactly....?

thanks,
Ntilt
Old 01-31-2002, 04:50 AM

The answer is a resounding YES. Drivers Edge has a very good program in Texas. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. In fact, I learned more in the two days ont eh track with the instructor than all the time I spent thrashing dirt roads as a kid. And noting is more exhilirating than driving hard through a turn in a four wheel drift sliding towards the tire gaurd rails, feeling the tires hook up and being one with your car. Do it!
Old 01-31-2002, 05:10 AM

I attended a two day PCA school at Watkins Glen last year. It was well worth the $275. I learned a lot about handling my car (and me) at the limits and different high speed driving strategies. It was a nice mixture of classroom sessions and hands-on driving experience. I plan on returning this year, if they'll take a non-Porsche again.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:28 AM

What kind of driving schools?
I went to Skip Barber's school but I was going for an SCCA license. For which you need two schools. The second school I went to was done by the SCCA.
I have been an instructor at various PCA schools for autoX and time trials. If you want to compete in the SCCA you need to go to an SCCA accredited school. If you just want to explore your limits start autoXing.
As for what I learned at Skip Barber. I learned how to drive a FF around Riverside. By the time I went to Skippy's school I had been racing in the PCA for five years. I am sure I learned something but that was a loooong time ago.