Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Drivers with short fuses

Old 12-02-2001 | 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers with short fuses

I was driving the evening a little past 6:30 to Circuit City to return somethings I had bought. I was driving down Colorado in Pasadena when this car make a left turn straight at me. I maintain my speed as he comes close to hitting my car. He then moves back into the center lane, which he should have only attempted. I gain about one block or more until I slow down to make an illegal left turn. He catches me and also makes the illegal turn into the parking lot. I enter slowly and he follows. I watch to see what he's going to do waiting to see if he's just going into Circuit City also. There's about 20 spaces, but he doesn't take any so I go around the lot and he still follow. So I go around one more time then proceed to park. He starts to park next to me, but angled so I can't reverse out without angling. I try to reverse and leave and everytime I do he reverses at more of an angle so I can't get out. We do this about 3 or 4 times. Then I just stop my car. This huge black guy gets out. We'll I'm not waiting to see what happens and since he left a gap in front of me enough to get out I do. This dude chases after my car and starts throwing something at it. I circle the lot back towards the exit and he runs towards his car. My girlfriend was freaked. After leaving the lot I parked on a street for a few minutes to catch my breath and reflect.

I wonder now. What would have happened if I didn't take off. Why is there road rage?
Old 12-02-2001 | 11:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dang, that's just freaky. One time I was biking in venice beach when when I almost hit this big black guy on roller blades. He yelled "GET OUTTA THE WAY LITTLE KID!" Heh, that jus freaked me out, but the guy jus continued passing by me.

well anyways I bet that one guy would've done somethin to u or ur car if u never took off. I guess there are people who can't cool off easily from road rage!
Old 12-02-2001 | 11:34 PM

I think many of us have experienced road rage in one form or another, whether as an aggressor or the recipient. it is unfortunate that such stuff happens. i am glad you came out of it ok. Some people just lack the proper maturity to drive ANY car. i must admit, i was once one of them. thank god i came out of that phase.

We just all gotta be careful these days cause there are more loonies out there. I try not to piss people off or get the hell outta there if I do. I guess its about keeping out wits about us and paying attention to everything that goes on around us
Old 12-02-2001 | 11:50 PM

I'm just fortunate I was attentive. If I wasn't paying attention I may not of noticed him following me and I may not have been able to type for a while.
Old 12-02-2001 | 11:55 PM

That's a pretty freaky story...god knows i'd take off too if i saw a huge black guy boxing me in. I've had a similar instance in which an old 4-dr full of guys got pissed at me for tailgating(even though I was keeping a solid 2 car lengths at only 35 mph). Just guys messed up and looking for trouble. They attempted to slam into the side of my car to get me off the road, so I just punched it...they followed. I figured i'd just make a hard right at the next light, but when I started to brake, I noticed they had no intention of braking. So I had to gun it in second gear and run the intersection with a red light. I continued, praying a cop would see my yellow car flying through the streets(course when ya need em' they're never around).....finally I just gathered enough speed to distance myself enough to pull the next hard right turn without them backending me, so I did just that, and once again the car had no intention of braking....as I thought I was about to be rear ended, my back end let a little bit lose and I powerslid along the turn at the car's limit. It was a dangerous situation and the sedan obviously could not handle this turn. They hit the median at a diagonal, and had enough momentum to cross it, and end up on the opposing sidewalk. I just kept on flying down the road, my female passenger was freaking out, and I was also on my cell phone during the whole event cause my girlfriend at the time, just needed to bug me with her bullsh!t. Road rage ranges anywhere from a honk to a chase with intent to harm. Too many of us experience too many forms of it, and I don't understand why drivers out there can't chill out and realize it's not going to solve a damn thing, whatever happened, happened SO LET IT GO!
Old 12-03-2001 | 01:47 AM

It's a crazy world out there for sure, glad your OK.

I just renewed my CCW (conceled handgun permit) this weekend which entailed a review a situations as the one you described (and qualifiying in -6F temps!). In Alaska the "reasonable" person has the "responsibility to retreat" (to avoid) a confrontation.

It sounds like you did just that, and lived to tell the tale. At the end of the day our cars can be replaced, it's just "stuff". Egos heal faster than bullet holes, or whatever the guy had to offer. Egos most certainly heal faster than criminal or civil charges.

911 is a good tool in case like that & let the police intervine.

If all else fails, and things get really ugly really fast, I guess 10x.45cal isn't a (legal) option in CA is it? What do you folks in CA do for personal protection?
Old 12-03-2001 | 09:51 AM

I had a similar incident about a month ago.
When I tried to get out of the car to re-arrange his face, he sped off.
He kept following me to try and see where I lived. The wanker probably wanted to see where I lived so he could do some damage. I lost him quite easily before going home. These people are everywhere so be careful out there.
Old 12-03-2001 | 10:07 AM

whoa, that's pretty extreme...good thing you're alright.
Old 12-03-2001 | 10:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ironwedge
[B]

If all else fails, and things get really ugly really fast, I guess 10x.45cal isn't a (legal) option in CA is it?
Old 12-03-2001 | 10:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TrojanHorse
[B]

Nothing.

Quick Reply: Drivers with short fuses