Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

do you think NASCAR would achieve a little more respect and prestige...

Old 03-06-2002 | 04:45 AM

Originally posted by integrate
Since you compared to Oprah, who makes MORE than a shitload of money,
Ok, but are we talking about metric shitloads or just standard shit loads?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2KGuy
[B]just like a Camaro's not my kind of sports car.
Old 03-06-2002 | 05:14 AM

NASCAR is only a tiny bit more interesting to me than NHRA. <yawn> I might be more interested if it required more skill than <turn left, floor it, repeat>. So they run three wide and bang doors - that sounds like my daily commute. The cars are almost identical, the tracks are specially prepared, they only race during fair weather, they only turn left. Besides, nobody in my family has "Cooter", "Bubba", or "Junior" on his birth certificate.

I guess I'm just a WRC snob.

snoopy
02 Ford F150L
Old 03-06-2002 | 05:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by snoopy
[B]NASCAR is only a tiny bit more interesting to me than NHRA.
Old 03-06-2002 | 06:09 AM

You make some very good points here,
Thanks S2Kguy. And for the record, I think F1 does take more skill than NASCAR, that would be hard to dispute. But the NASCAR drivers are required to have performance driving certs, which means they have been to several schools and they all know how to race (some better than others). I also think NASCAR is far more competitive. Just about any driver can win. Only a handful of drivers have a realistic shot at points in F1, but I love watching those cars scream around the track, too.

I really don't care if someone doesn't like NASCAR, and it's futile to attempt to convince someone that they should like it. It's not for some people; that's fine. What I don't like is when people like snoopy, et al slam the sport and imply that I am a hick 'cause I like it.

Mingster, with the success of NASCAR and its growing popularity, I think they feel they have a winning approach already. Seeking validation from the gentlemanly enthusiast crowd is probably not where their marketing research is leading them (IMHO).
Old 03-06-2002 | 08:00 AM
Former Moderator
20 Year Member

The point really isn't whether or not you like NASCAR or not. There are many sports I will NEVER watch. That doesn't stop me from respecting the sport or, more often, certain athletes within that sport. I don't watch NHRA and watch maybe 3-4 NASCAR races a year, usually only because I'm a sports junkie and there's nothing better on. I also like watching the NASCAR guys when they do road courses, which happens twice a year if I'm not mistaken. They DO look like fish out of water driving those heavy, torquie (is that a word ) cars on road courses. But I'll never say anything disparaging about those drivers because I have a huge amount of respect for their abilities and have no doubt any one of them could come up to Willow Springs, jump in someone's S2000, and wipe my butt off the pavement.
Old 03-06-2002 | 08:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mystic_350
[B]

Ok, but are we talking about metric shitloads or just standard shit loads?
Old 03-07-2002 | 03:01 AM

As far as oval racing goes Nigel Mansel said it was the most exciting racing he ever did when he went to CART (as the F-1 World Champion).

WRC? Not really "Racing" when it is just against the clock is it? More like time trials. For it to be true racing there needs to be a head to head duel between two or more drivers. As far as watching it on TV it is great to watch the car control but it is not a real "Race" experience. It might as well be an exhibition.

F-1 is a wonderful exhibition of technology but as it has been stated before the guys with the best cars (Ferrari, Williams, McLaren) almost always win and other than a couple of good duels a season between them it is pretty much a parade.

At least with NASCAR, CART and even the IRL, races are super close and the DRIVER means more to the final outcome of the race. I have seen countless finishes in all of these series that are within fractions of a second.

How much of a race is it when Schumacher wins by 30 seconds? Talk about boring! It is still enjoyable to watch for the sake of the technology and the RARE occasion you actually do see some racing for a couple of turns but it is not GOOD racing.
Old 03-07-2002 | 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Bieg
WRC? Not really "Racing" when it is just against the clock is it? More like time trials. For it to be true racing there needs to be a head to head duel between two or more drivers. As far as watching it on TV it is great to watch the car control but it is not a real "Race" experience. It might as well be an exhibition.

F-1 is a wonderful exhibition of technology but as it has been stated before the guys with the best cars (Ferrari, Williams, McLaren) almost always win and other than a couple of good duels a season between them it is pretty much a parade.

Parade and Time Trial eh'? Hmmm... Looks like you're reducing these races to their basic forms, do you really want me to do that with NASCAR? I suppose both could be said to be true, but you know as well as I, the true race is always with one's self.

How much of a race is it when Schumacher wins by 30 seconds? Talk about boring! It is still enjoyable to watch for the sake of the technology and the RARE occasion you actually do see some racing for a couple of turns but it is not GOOD racing.

Good is a subjective term, not an objective one, but your idea of good is a valid one nonetheless.

Sorry guys, had to bring this one back, I just love verbal spar .

Andrew
Old 03-07-2002 | 02:51 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Love NASCAR, love CART, loe many forms of racing. It's racing when it against someone else or the clock. Racing is racing. I was at Vegas last weekend and let me tell you, THOSE GUYS ARE FAST!!!!! TV does not do them justice. I could see the whole track and loved every minutes. I rooted with fans and against fans. There were exciting passes and two distinct moments of GREAT driving of a 3600 pound vehicle at 170 MPH. It's driving and it's racing. 'Nough said!!!
Let's see you drive that close to that many cars at 170 MPH!!