Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Diesel Hate

Old 08-18-2007 | 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 18 2007, 03:18 PM
You obviously didn't read my post either, I said AVERAGE your on the higher end of the norm with ~20mpg.

Obviously they have their place as anything does, but as I stated (again) MOST drivers just use those stupid things to drive back and forth from work all day long, never using their towing abilities, extra carrying capacity, off roading ability, etc. Granted maybe I have to live in a redneck area to see that but around here they are simply highway cruisers.

Also its not 2009, and even if it was that doesn't account for the probably millions of trucks on the road that do not have to conform to that standard. Sure its a start, but won't pay off till those 1980 pick ups finally die off.
Of course the law doesn't do anything now but that is your governments fault and not that of us owners. I'll have to go back to my test pipe comment there. You put your cat back on and we'll talk.

I have never heard of a diesel pickup getting mileage as low as 15mpg. I agree that there probably are far too many people using them just because with no need for them. I actually don't NEED a diesel. Everything I do with my truck could be done with a gas engine, although the diesel does it better.

When looking to buy a new pickup getting a diesel makes a lot of since. It is significantly more money up front but it gets much better gas mileage, can tow better and lasts longer with a much higher resale value. That is why you see more and more of them on the road...
Old 08-18-2007 | 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 44Runner,Aug 18 2007, 01:03 PM
i think both sides of the arguement can agree you're an idiot
agree
Old 08-19-2007 | 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 44Runner,Aug 18 2007, 04:20 PM
I have never heard of a diesel pickup getting mileage as low as 15mpg. I agree that there probably are far too many people using them just because with no need for them. I actually don't NEED a diesel. Everything I do with my truck could be done with a gas engine, although the diesel does it better.

When looking to buy a new pickup getting a diesel makes a lot of since. It is significantly more money up front but it gets much better gas mileage, can tow better and lasts longer with a much higher resale value. That is why you see more and more of them on the road...
Well I'm somewhat generalizing on my comments. When I say trucks I'm including gasoline and diesel. Yes I do agree diesels getting better gas mileage then gasoline and sure they are better as far as towing. The problem still remains many people buy these trucks to drive on the highway back and forth...surely no towing / offroading and never even using the extra space. Thats why I get annoyed at them for the most part is that its a complete waste plus, yes, the black puffs of diesel smoke in your face is disgusting (if the driver wants to be an ass).
Old 08-19-2007 | 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 19 2007, 10:57 AM
Well I'm somewhat generalizing on my comments. When I say trucks I'm including gasoline and diesel. Yes I do agree diesels getting better gas mileage then gasoline and sure they are better as far as towing. The problem still remains many people buy these trucks to drive on the highway back and forth...surely no towing / offroading and never even using the extra space. Thats why I get annoyed at them for the most part is that its a complete waste plus, yes, the black puffs of diesel smoke in your face is disgusting (if the driver wants to be an ass).
You're right. So from now on the truck owners will ONLY use them for WORK, and you can ONLY drive youe S2000 on the track.

Or from now on we can all drive 4 door, hatch back hybrids.

See my point?
Old 08-20-2007 | 04:32 AM

I never said they wern't allowed to buy one, I said I get annoyed when I see the typical non-needed highway cruiser truck. I think if anything is put to waste people can relate with the same feeling.

I also never said they would ONLY be allowed to use them for off roading, towing, hauling, etc. It would be nice to know they used them ONCE to do any of those things. Obviously NO car is bought to fulfil one process and thats it. FWIW, I do bring my s2k to the track but thats not its only job.
Old 08-20-2007 | 06:58 AM
CG

I've got a horse farm and a diesel P/U. It's rarely started unless we need to haul a trailer, make a run to the feed store, etc. I've only seen it belch smoke maybe 4 times in about 40,000 miles.

I will freely admit laughing when it surprised me and farted out a 3 second black cloud on one occasion. I was on highway with a 55mph limit with no passing zones behind a Prius with
Old 08-20-2007 | 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mistman,Aug 17 2007, 08:14 AM
Bummer, everyone hates that!

That's why people think diesels suck so bad, my '06 doesn't smoke at all, even at WOT. Now if I chipped it and re-did the exhaust it would probably smoke like a tractor but I prefer a cleaner burn, at least an invisible burn. Don't know why people think they need sooo much more pwr out of the more modern trucks, the only reason I say modern is because they already have GOBS of power. Personally 600 ft lbs of torque is plenty for what I haul, alot of the guys chipping and hopping up they're trucks don't even use them as trucks, sort of a psuedo hot rod, doesn't make sense to me. If it were a 10 yo deisel, maybe I could see opening it up some but my '97 w//225 hp and 500 ft lbs of torque was even enough for what I do, just not enough truck.
My wife's F-250 has the fuel economy chip. Without chip it gets about 15.5 MPG running empty. With chip 19.5 MPG empty, about 15 MPG with 5,000 lb. trailer, and 11 - 13 MPG with her 11,000 lb. fifth wheel RV.

Any more questions about why the chip?

Up hill ramps onto the interstates are fun with the 5,000 trailer. It does not affect acceleration much. The turbo just screams a little louder.
Old 08-20-2007 | 03:03 PM

Mine blows a ton of black smoke, because I programed it. I have different settings, the one I'm on now just gives it a little more power and torque (about 50 hp and 150 ft lbs). When I bump up the settings is when I leave a black cloud of smoke.

So diesels don't blow black smoke unless the air is restricted or you program them too.

Either way black smoke is waisted power.