Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Diesel Hate

Old 08-17-2007 | 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Aug 17 2007, 08:00 AM
CO2 is just fuel burn. CO2 is not like carbon monoxide or soot, which can be cleaned up by better technology. All the carbon that goes in to the engine is going to come out as CO2 no matter whether the technology is modern or not.
Huh, thanks for correcting me on that matter.
Old 08-17-2007 | 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 17 2007, 04:49 PM
I'd say 95% of the pick up trucks out there are not used for what they were made for. Then worse off, people chip them, floor it, and use half the worlds gas reserve along with severly polluting all the air around their big ass exhaust outlets.

And people wonder why we have energy problems
coming from a guy with a hugh intercooler: the irony is killing me
Old 08-18-2007 | 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mistman,Aug 17 2007, 09:49 AM
You'd be surprised w/the gears I think. I expected to see low mileage and higher than I would like hwy RPM's however I get my best mileage @ ~70 mph @ 2300 rpm's (16mpg unloaded), 60 mph is right at 2000 (right where the engine has a bit of vibration). Pulling w/them is a dream, it spools up pretty quick off the line and never runs out of pwr, I don't drive 100 mph or even 90 so don't really have a top speed issue, and when I finally get some new tires I can go up a size or 2 and still have good gearing.

My rock crawler has 4.88's (and 2 t-cases) in it, hwy cruising w/that is NOT fun but it rarely see's pavement.
Holy crap. There is another guy here that is into rock crawling? I thought I was the only one.

My stock 05 Dodge will smoke if I floor it, not the crazy smoke coming from a hopped up diesel but very noticable. I get 19-20mpg around town. 325hp and 610ftlbs stock. A lot of the nicer "chips" have an in cab display that will give you a few different settings. On the lower settings you are making more power and getting better mileage. I might get one if all my free money didn't go into building my new crawler. My truck redlines in 6th gear at 99 MPH.

Now I wouldn't make it a habbit of messing with diesels, especially Dodges. They be be extremely fast.

Fast diesels video
Old 08-18-2007 | 07:23 AM

[QUOTE=iam7head,Aug 18 2007, 01:02 AM] coming from a guy with a hugh intercooler: the irony is killing me
Old 08-18-2007 | 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by N2oExpresS2k,Aug 17 2007, 07:48 AM
When I'd be in my buddy's dodge 3500 I'd smoke ppl out whenever I got the chance. It's hilarious when you're on the other side of that 5 inch exhaust. That dually was putting down 405hp and probably over 700lb/ft of tq.
Wow! You're so cool! And since that "smoke" is highly cancerous, you can laugh when those people lose their hair in chemo, too.

BAN!
Old 08-18-2007 | 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Aug 18 2007, 10:23 AM

However,

Have you seen a diesel floor it and compared it to a little 4 cylinder gasoline engine?

Compared gas milages? I bet the average truck is 15 AT BEST I can get near 30 on the highway (double the mileage)

Also the crap that comes out of diesel exhausts is carbon monoxide among other things, which is proven to cause caner, lung disease, etc.
I just posted that I get 20 MPG around town probably better if I could keep my foot out of it, because we were talking about diesels. Can you do double that in your S? Also can your S tow my boat or my buggy or another S for that matter? Can your S carry a desk, a coffee table or a full set of 40x13.50x17 tires? I know my S can't do any of those things. That's why I have my pickup. They have their place. You can bitch all you want but I bet anytime you need to move something big you call up a friend with a truck to come help you just like the rest of non-truck owners.

On to more productive posting. First off anyone running a test pipe can go ahead and stop bashing diesels right now. Starting in 09 diesels will have to meet the same pollution standards as gas engines. Also if you live in the sticks, your government may not require the stations to sell the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel. I'm not sure what the law is reguarding ULSD but I know its all they sell around here...
Old 08-18-2007 | 11:05 AM

yea yea yea, talk all the bs about "smoking people" just wait until you get the chance to blow a big black cloud of smoke on someone who just pissed you off on the road. Trust you will take it, and you WILL laugh your ass off as you drive away.

anyways, I have the diesel because we build trailers and it's my tow rig.
Old 08-18-2007 | 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by 44Runner,Aug 18 2007, 01:54 PM
I just posted that I get 20 MPG around town probably better if I could keep my foot out of it, because we were talking about diesels. Can you do double that in your S? Also can your S tow my boat or my buggy or another S for that matter? Can your S carry a desk, a coffee table or a full set of 40x13.50x17 tires? I know my S can't do any of those things. That's why I have my pickup. They have their place. You can bitch all you want but I bet anytime you need to move something big you call up a friend with a truck to come help you just like the rest of non-truck owners.

On to more productive posting. First off anyone running a test pipe can go ahead and stop bashing diesels right now. Starting in 09 diesels will have to meet the same pollution standards as gas engines. Also if you live in the sticks, your government may not require the stations to sell the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel. I'm not sure what the law is reguarding ULSD but I know its all they sell around here...
You obviously didn't read my post either, I said AVERAGE your on the higher end of the norm with ~20mpg.

Obviously they have their place as anything does, but as I stated (again) MOST drivers just use those stupid things to drive back and forth from work all day long, never using their towing abilities, extra carrying capacity, off roading ability, etc. Granted maybe I have to live in a redneck area to see that but around here they are simply highway cruisers.

Also its not 2009, and even if it was that doesn't account for the probably millions of trucks on the road that do not have to conform to that standard. Sure its a start, but won't pay off till those 1980 pick ups finally die off.
Old 08-18-2007 | 12:33 PM
jah

all pickup trucks are ghay, there are sometimes you need one but most of the time not. i hate to even passenger in these things, i can just feel the slooooow.

torque sux too, only 4those that got into the turns to slow.

things have changed: drive a land boat to show you hung with stupid to long.
Old 08-18-2007 | 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by jah,Aug 18 2007, 03:33 PM
all pickup trucks are ghay, there are sometimes you need one but most of the time not. i hate to even passenger in these things, i can just feel the slooooow.

torque sux too, only 4those that got into the turns to slow.

things have changed: drive a land boat to show you hung with stupid to long.
i think both sides of the arguement can agree you're an idiot

Quick Reply: Diesel Hate