Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Diesel Hate

Old 08-17-2007 | 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by froggie,Aug 17 2007, 12:41 AM
...And the sad thing is that all these hillbilly trucks give a bad name tho diesel engines. Yes, the old engines can be very dirty if they are not well tuned; but the truth is that they might be very much the future in powertrain technology, wether you like it or not! And believe it or not, modern diesel engines are actually cleaner than regular gasoline engines, at least as far as CO2 emissions. The technology has already been proven twice at Le Mans, and I can't wait to see diesel cars back in California. So no diesel bashing please !
Heck, if the s2000 was available with a 200 hp, 240 ft lbs of torque, and with the 9k RPM, I'd trade mine in a heartbeat!
I would also like an engine like that, but I doubth that with 240 lb/feet of tq the engine would need to rev past 6.5k rpms.
Old 08-17-2007 | 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I'd be in my buddy's dodge 3500 I'd smoke ppl out whenever I got the chance. It's hilarious when you're on the other side of that 5 inch exhaust. That dually was putting down 405hp and probably over 700lb/ft of tq.
Old 08-17-2007 | 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by froggie,Aug 16 2007, 09:41 PM
modern diesel engines are actually cleaner than regular gasoline engines, at least as far as CO2 emissions.
CO2 is just fuel burn. CO2 is not like carbon monoxide or soot, which can be cleaned up by better technology. All the carbon that goes in to the engine is going to come out as CO2 no matter whether the technology is modern or not.
Old 08-17-2007 | 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by N2oExpresS2k,Aug 17 2007, 07:48 AM
When I'd be in my buddy's dodge 3500 I'd smoke ppl out whenever I got the chance. It's hilarious when you're on the other side of that 5 inch exhaust. That dually was putting down 405hp and probably over 700lb/ft of tq.
Bummer, everyone hates that!

That's why people think diesels suck so bad, my '06 doesn't smoke at all, even at WOT. Now if I chipped it and re-did the exhaust it would probably smoke like a tractor but I prefer a cleaner burn, at least an invisible burn. Don't know why people think they need sooo much more pwr out of the more modern trucks, the only reason I say modern is because they already have GOBS of power. Personally 600 ft lbs of torque is plenty for what I haul, alot of the guys chipping and hopping up they're trucks don't even use them as trucks, sort of a psuedo hot rod, doesn't make sense to me. If it were a 10 yo deisel, maybe I could see opening it up some but my '97 w//225 hp and 500 ft lbs of torque was even enough for what I do, just not enough truck.
Old 08-17-2007 | 08:19 AM

Yea the truck i'm talking about actually was never used as a truck while my boy owned it. The only thing it did as a truck was pick up my ap2 wheels in broward. It was a fun tho..
Old 08-17-2007 | 10:07 AM

Most trucks are built on a simple subframe, similar to an upside down table, with the body attached on top. If a truck was in a side impact, say goodbye to the driver and/or his/her legs.

Most of those things were built to easily accept modification for industrial use. IMO, they are what they are, and nothing really shines about them.

And, yes, newer gen diesels are cleaner than many modern petrol burners. Anyway, goodluck w/ the hillbillies, youre not the only ones who cant stand them.
Old 08-17-2007 | 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by N2oExpresS2k,Aug 17 2007, 11:48 AM
^^ Ban???
Old 08-17-2007 | 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by N2oExpresS2k,Aug 17 2007, 07:48 AM
That's so cool man!

People like you should get a fist full of Abraham Lincoln's from the change compartment to the front grill
Old 08-17-2007 | 04:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say 95% of the pick up trucks out there are not used for what they were made for. Then worse off, people chip them, floor it, and use half the worlds gas reserve along with severly polluting all the air around their big ass exhaust outlets.

And people wonder why we have energy problems
Old 08-17-2007 | 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabre,Aug 15 2007, 07:34 PM
I havent ever had this happen before, but it happened twice today. Curious how many other people it has happened to.

First encounter: A F250 crawling down the left lane (30 in a 45) so I switch lanes and begin to pass. He suddenly floors it, spewing a huge cloud of smoke out "at" me. Thankfully I was already passed and well on my way.

Second encounter: Dodge Turbo Diesel driving down the right lane, decent speed. I just come toodling up and he punches it to cloud the area and when I fall back, he resumes his speed. I come up again and he punches it again, to which I just VTEC through and go on down the road.

Third encounter: ALIENS!

The downside to living in a still-redneck area (not to stereotype).
Anyone else?
not so much from real truck people but i am getting harassed by ricer.

there's 4 "JDM" wannabe civic revv'ing and tailgating me at the freeway entrance, my s is relatively stock and stock looking just to give you an idea how bad it is.

it happens at least twice everyday, always some idoit with honda.

it's almost like they have something to proven to their highschool gf or something.

Quick Reply: Diesel Hate