Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Diesel Hate

Old 08-16-2007 | 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, encountered this once shortly after I bought the car in 2001.

I was driving in Pittsburgh on parkway east just past the Squirrel Hill tunnel. I got stuck behind some diesel pickup while driving (not tailgating) with my top down. It was pretty obvious that the driver intentionally floored it twice (with no where to go) just to shoot black sooty smoke out the tail pipe. It was the laughter with his passenger that gave it away.

I just made sure I got around him. For some reason, they looked surprised.
Old 08-16-2007 | 06:54 AM

I've got an '06 pwr strk dually 4x (w/front coils and a 5 link), stock w/325 hp and 600 ft lbs of torque. It'll accelerate better than one would expect from an 8k lbs truck but the really amazing thing to me is that w/the dual rears and all that weight I can corner better than some cars. It'll start to lean into a corner, barely, then it settles and you can keep accelerating and it feels like your on rails. I drive 55 miles one way every day along a nice twisty river road, I've looked down at the speedo and have taken corners at similar speeds to the s2000, thought I was hitting the corner pretty good in the S but it just felt like I was motivating along in the truck. Obviously when push comes to shove the S will walk all over it but again I think people would be pretty impressed with what a modern diesel truck can do.
Old 08-16-2007 | 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mistman,Aug 16 2007, 10:54 AM
I've got an '06 pwr strk dually 4x (w/front coils and a 5 link), stock w/325 hp and 600 ft lbs of torque. It'll accelerate better than one would expect from an 8k lbs truck but the really amazing thing to me is that w/the dual rears and all that weight I can corner better than some cars. It'll start to lean into a corner, barely, then it settles and you can keep accelerating and it feels like your on rails. I drive 55 miles one way every day along a nice twisty river road, I've looked down at the speedo and have taken corners at similar speeds to the s2000, thought I was hitting the corner pretty good in the S but it just felt like I was motivating along in the truck. Obviously when push comes to shove the S will walk all over it but again I think people would be pretty impressed with what a modern diesel truck can do.
Old 08-16-2007 | 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mistman,Aug 16 2007, 06:54 AM
I noticed that I can do sweeps at about the same in both S or Dually. Dually's handle well because of the 8' track on the rear.

Have you driven the new ford twin turbo? it sucks, no power and the brakes suck. But everything else I like.
Old 08-16-2007 | 08:47 AM

Nope, haven't tried out the 6.4. It took a lot to sell my '97 and upgrade knowing all the issues w/the 6l (never had 1 issue w/the 7.3), but it seemed like by the end of '05 most issues had been worked out. I won't let them reflash mine as it's running strong and I'm getting 16 mpg unloaded.

The only thing I'm not really happy with is the spring rates, I got every upgrade I could get on the Lariet package (almost as well equiped as a nice Bimmer), including 15k hitch and 4.3 gears but should have upgraded the springs to the snow plow rate. The front bottoms easily with a load and I get some (o.k. a bunch) of bump steer which is a poor design if you ask me. My dad has an '05 so I knew about the bumpsteer, apparently the heavier spring rates will eliminate most of it. I haven't done it yet and just turned 30k miles, soooo I guess it's not really THAT bad, just a bit dissapointing. Other than that I think I'll have this truck a loooong time, I like it and it'll pull a house (litterally, I yanked down on old biulding on my property with it, could have used the tractor but the truck was closer )
Old 08-16-2007 | 06:59 PM

4.3 gears??? screw that, I got the 3.73's, I couldn't imagine any other gears for hwy driving.
Old 08-16-2007 | 07:07 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Yea we have stupid red necks that do that over here..
We were coming back from a meet in livermore and some truck decide to cut our group off and land himself in the middle of us.
He had tons of black smoke and he thought he could take us (everyone was driving a civic except me)
But every civic just passed him with ease (all civics had engine swaps) and we all laughed at him making sure he can see us too..
I watched as his red neck turned redder and he put his sun glasses on. lol
Old 08-16-2007 | 08:41 PM

...And the sad thing is that all these hillbilly trucks give a bad name tho diesel engines. Yes, the old engines can be very dirty if they are not well tuned; but the truth is that they might be very much the future in powertrain technology, wether you like it or not! And believe it or not, modern diesel engines are actually cleaner than regular gasoline engines, at least as far as CO2 emissions. The technology has already been proven twice at Le Mans, and I can't wait to see diesel cars back in California. So no diesel bashing please !
Heck, if the s2000 was available with a 200 hp, 240 ft lbs of torque, and with the 9k RPM, I'd trade mine in a heartbeat!
Old 08-16-2007 | 08:42 PM

I also like trucks myself, but I hate certain truck drivers who think they're invincible.
They tailgate innocent drivers like crazy, not knowing what's gonna happen to the other driver if he rearends him.
I try not to mess with any trucks, cuz it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen if you get in an accident w/ one.

Dan
Old 08-17-2007 | 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by chairmnofthboard,Aug 16 2007, 06:59 PM
4.3 gears??? screw that, I got the 3.73's, I couldn't imagine any other gears for hwy driving.
You'd be surprised w/the gears I think. I expected to see low mileage and higher than I would like hwy RPM's however I get my best mileage @ ~70 mph @ 2300 rpm's (16mpg unloaded), 60 mph is right at 2000 (right where the engine has a bit of vibration). Pulling w/them is a dream, it spools up pretty quick off the line and never runs out of pwr, I don't drive 100 mph or even 90 so don't really have a top speed issue, and when I finally get some new tires I can go up a size or 2 and still have good gearing.

My rock crawler has 4.88's (and 2 t-cases) in it, hwy cruising w/that is NOT fun but it rarely see's pavement.

Quick Reply: Diesel Hate