Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Dealership brands/models etc

Old 07-25-2001 | 07:38 PM
Former Moderator

Default Dealership brands/models etc

I find it interesting when our american friends talk about seeing a Mercedes at the Honda Dealership in....

I have not been to the US much, but when I have been, I noticed dealerships mix their brand of automobiles. Is there a reason why?

In Canada, each brand is specific.. IE.. Honda is Honda, Acura is Acura, VW is VW, Saturn is Saturn, mazda is mazda.. Get my point... needless to say there are a lot of dealerships.
To me this makes sense, because the sales people and service technicians can train on a specific brand of automobile they sell and teach their customer better.

What are other countries like....
Old 07-25-2001 | 07:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Honda Gal
[B]I find it interesting when our american friends talk about seeing a Mercedes at the Honda Dealership in....

I have not been to the US much, but when I have been, I noticed dealerships mix their brand of automobiles.
Old 07-25-2001 | 07:51 PM
S2R

There are dealers that sell multiple car makes. Miller Honda/Toyota, Rusnak Audi/Porsche, Browning Lexus/Honda/Acura, etc. In fact I go in to buy a TT and the girl is trying to get me to buy a A4, S4, or Boxster instead.
Old 07-25-2001 | 08:16 PM

Certainly there are many brands of trade-in cars you'll find at dealerships. They likely put them on display to let everyone know how much better their brand is than all these others, else why would people trade them in?

As for having more than one make at a dealership, it makes sense to me. If Honda doesn't make a vehicle to meet your needs (Horrors! Perish the thought!), perhaps Isuzu or Mazda does. Wouldn't the dealer rather you buy a vehicle--any vehicle--from him than from someone else?

Supermarkets have been doing it for years. So have department stores. Why not car dealers?
Old 07-25-2001 | 08:26 PM

In Calgary, there are single dealers that sell Saturn, Saab, Isuzu. Then there's the Mercedes, Land Rover dealership. Suzuki/Hyundai. Porsche/ Audi/ VW. If I looked in the phone book, I'm sure I could find 1 or 2 more.
Old 07-26-2001 | 02:04 AM

Ya I don't get what you're saying either. In Vancouver there are tons of dealers that sell different makes though obviously owned by the same company. Eg. An Acura dealership sells used Mercedes, Porsche, TT, etc. There are Nissan/Infinity dealerships. Oldsmobile/Cadillac/Pontiac etc. dealership. Then there's dealerships like Brian Jessel this and that, Regency this and that, Carter this and that.

Not sure what you're trying to get at though.
Old 07-26-2001 | 03:25 AM
mav

There's a used Mercedes CLK in Maroone Honda of Miami, the dealership where I purchased my S2000 from a month ago.
Old 07-26-2001 | 05:19 AM
Former Moderator

sorry if I have confused you guys.. I am talking specificly new vehicles. Maybe it is just my province... Maybe is it more of the vehicles that are not related. GM/Olds, Pontiac/Cadillac, yes these are combined.

In Regina, Nissan , BMW, Honda, Acura, Infinity, Mercedes, Toyota, Kia, Hyunda(sp) VW/Audi are one...

As an example, if there is a dealership in the US, Honda/Mercedes, this is what confuses me... The larger Canadian centres could have combination dealerships too, I have not seen it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Howie
[B]Ya I don't get what you're saying either.
Old 07-26-2001 | 05:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Honda Gal
[B]As an example, if there is a dealership in the US, Honda/Mercedes, this is what confuses me...
Old 07-26-2001 | 07:48 AM
Administrator

My local dealship sells Honda's and Chevy's!