Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Cops driving like idiots!--Rant

Old 11-28-2001 | 05:49 AM

Default Cops driving like idiots!--Rant

Last Saturday, my wife and I took the S2k for a little cruise to Carson City. On the way back, I looked in my rear view mirror, and saw some one flying in and out of traffic.
It turned out to be a NHP trooper. He must have been doing 80-90 in a 50 zone. (No lights or siren) As he blew past us, he passed a string of cars by going into the suicide lane. My first thoughts were that this was BS. He had no right to jeopardize someone by driving like a moron.
As we approached the traffic light, he pulled in behind a pick-up that had passed me earlier. As the light turned green, he lit em up, and pulled him over.
At first I had thought about putting in a phone call, but the last thing that I need to do is stir up the shat with the cops since I have to work with them. So, I reluctantly let it drop.

Well,,, this afternoon guess who stopped by the station to pee?
The cop. During his usual whining, he mentioned that he had been written up over the weekend for careless driving. I was about to explode .
He was in complete denial about his carelessness.
In order for him to get written up, there must have been several complaints about him. I couldn't have been happier!
Old 11-28-2001 | 07:28 AM

A few months ago I saw an unmarked police car use the carpool lane on a freeway onramp. I caught up with him later and he was alone in the car. When I got to work I e-mailed the CHP with the license number. A week later I got a phone call from an LAPD captain who came to interview me and ask me to identify the car and driver. Apparently he wasn't supposed to take the car out of the county, much less break traffic laws.

Last week I got a letter from the LA police chief saying that the officer had been disciplined.

Sometimes the system works.

Old 11-28-2001 | 08:33 AM

I don't want to get started in this thread but, a year ago while driving to work in my Nissan 4x4 truck in the morning going through a small town, 35mph speed limit, the following thing happened. I'm in my lane, nobody is in front of me, the road has a rather large bend in it that goes up a hill, you can't see too far up the road because of trees and houses. All of a sudden I notice coming towards me is a police car with the flasher on, as the car gets closer to me I realize two things, this guy is flying, clearly double the speed limit, and the fool is in my lane because he just passed someone. Now the siren comes on and I'm looking at a head on collision. (Thanks for all those driving schools!) I swerve to the right to get onto the shoulder and then go even farther to the right on the grass as the cop car goes by my driver's door. At this point my legs are just trembling and I sat there on the side of the road for a minute or two to get my composure back. I then drove to work and never did anything about it. I have some bad karma with the police and I just did not have the confidence to go make a report and it all went down so fast I could not even describe the kind of car the cop had passed which put him in my lane in the first place. Of all the situations I have had on the road and the track, this is the closest I have ever come to seeing myself taken away in an ambulance. End rant.
Old 11-28-2001 | 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Triple-H
I don't want to get started in this thread but, a year ago while driving to work in my Nissan 4x4 truck in the morning going through a small town, 35mph speed limit, the following thing happened. I'm in my lane, nobody is in front of me, the road has a rather large bend in it that goes up a hill, you can't see too far up the road because of trees and houses. All of a sudden I notice coming towards me is a police car with the flasher on, as the car gets closer to me I realize two things, this guy is flying, clearly double the speed limit, and the fool is in my lane because he just passed someone. Now the siren comes on and I'm looking at a head on collision. (Thanks for all those driving schools!) I swerve to the right to get onto the shoulder and then go even farther to the right on the grass as the cop car goes by my driver's door. At this point my legs are just trembling and I sat there on the side of the road for a minute or two to get my composure back. I then drove to work and never did anything about it. I have some bad karma with the police and I just did not have the confidence to go make a report and it all went down so fast I could not even describe the kind of car the cop had passed which put him in my lane in the first place. Of all the situations I have had on the road and the track, this is the closest I have ever come to seeing myself taken away in an ambulance. End rant.
That's just bloody ridiculous!! Any cop worth his salt wants to catch the bad guys, answer the distress call, whatever he's responding to, but it takes some pretty common sense judgement calls too! In the situation you describe, there would have been a terrible smash by the sound of if YOU hadn't taken the avoiding action!.... Crazy!!
Old 11-28-2001 | 11:17 AM

living in LA, I always see cops driving too fast or just driving crazy. I see them breaking laws all the time. Looking at magician's experience, maybe it's time to start reporting them.

Triple H, what you described was very scary. That cop almost killed you.
Old 11-28-2001 | 04:19 PM

I constantly see cops driving around talking on mobile phones.

Its illegal here.