Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Cop radar detector question

Old 06-14-2006 | 12:23 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by wizard8100,Jun 14 2006, 05:21 AM
You could also go to the police department first, or just call, and request the specs and calibration procedures yourself (freedom of information act.)
I tried that a few years ago with the Highway Patrol and they would not release the info. For every straight cop I've met I've met atleast 3 crooked ones.
Old 06-14-2006 | 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 714s2k,Jun 14 2006, 10:05 AM
Just a few weeks ago I was at a light behind a cop. The light turned green and I guess the cop didn't see it. I flashed my lights twice and he still didn't budge, so I honked at him. He moved about a foot, stoped and looked at me in his rearview and then went. We made our turn and he continued to drive slow so I got over and passed his ass, but with staying in the speed limit.
That's pretty funny. I always hate seeing a group of cars all going 50 mph on the highway, afraid of passing the cop in the slow lane, when the speed limit is 65 mph. I usually end up flashing the timid idiot in the fast lane so that I can go on my way. People are just too paranoid.

Back to topic. Good luck w/ the trial. Sorry to say, but even though you were wronged, the judge will see the 3 other tickets and probably won't be too lenient.
Old 06-14-2006 | 04:50 PM

Can you give a little more information on the position and direction of the police car. When you said you saw the car, where was it relative to you and what was is doing? Was it approaching you in the oncoming lane, stationary, in your lane ahead or behind?? Also, when you said he drove away and then appeared from behind, where did he drive away to? Are you sure it was the same car?
I might be able to help but I don't fully understand what happened before you got pulled over.
Old 06-14-2006 | 05:23 PM
Former Moderator

4 tickets in a month?? Sounds like a bad habit to me.
Old 06-15-2006 | 03:22 AM

I've accumulated 4 tickets in 2 years all while in college up in Nor Cal. As I drove back to So Cal for summer break, I got ticketed twice. I'm not going to go into the story about the first one, but the second one, I was totally bummed out, so I drove at the speed of traffic.

So the first time I saw the cop, I was in the fast lane going 71. I saw a white highway patrol car strolling along the shoulder to the far right at maybe 30, so knowing the speed limit is 65, I braked. That's when I caught his attention, and I'm driving a white S2000 that's so new, I haven't even gotten my license plate yet. So he drives up next to me as I drove at 65mph and after about a mile, he gives up a drives off. About 2 miles later, I see him 2 lanes to my right and 1 car ahead. I was going 69 at the time, following traffic, so I'm like whatever. He slowly drifts back a few cars, all while I watched him do it. About 2 minutes later, while still doing 69, he pulls up next to me and flashes his lights to pull me over. He says he's been following me since I did the sudden brake going 71mph. He claims I was going 90 at the time. Mr. Popo said he let me go but I kept up with him in traffic, so he was goign to get me for sure and clocked me going 81mph. Anyway, that's the full detailed story. It'd be great if you could actually help me cutuesday.

I mean, I'm from So Cal. We watch our rear view mirrors more often than straight. I knew exactly what he was trying to pull. I just never expected him to lie to me and conjure up fake evidence. This will probably feel like being raped up the ass if I get my license taken away.
Old 06-15-2006 | 12:34 PM

Alx did you look at ticketassassin.com? They tell you how to beat tickets and will give more help if needed. It's for California drivers. Take a look.
Old 06-15-2006 | 01:20 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. So he was travelling in the same direction as you the entire time. A couple of things you should know. As you saw, the radar control unit displays two speeds, the target speed and the patrol vehicle speed. You stated that he showed you on the radar that he was going 109 to catch up to you. When the operator locks the display, it locks both numerical readouts. Meaning that when the officer locked the unit at 81, the patrol vehicle was travelling 109. This is different than clocking you at 81 and THEN going 109 to catch up. The target speed of 81 and the patrol speed of 109 occured simultaneously. So now you need to know why this happened. There are many scenarios and not enough time to explain each.

The overwhelming majority of radar devices are capable of clocking moving traffic while the radar is stationary and only oncoming traffic while the radar is in a moving vehicle. Some of the newest and most advanced units are capable of clocking moving traffic while moving in the same direction but this is new technology and these units are quite rare.
My advice is to contact an experienced traffic attorney. Because of your previous record, a judge is not likely going to have much confidence in your innocence. The attorney will be able to find out what type of radar unit was used. If it does not have same direction technology, then you will have a good case. If it does have this technology, the 109mph patrol speed raises several other doubts to the proper determination of your speed, but again, this would take a lot of space and a traffic attorney can explain it just as well.
Remember however, you admitted to travelling 69 and the officer probably wrote that in his notes. Unless the district attorney decides to drop the case because your attorney can prove that the officer is lying, you will be convicted of 69 in a 65 based on your confession. Still, 69 is better than 81.
Old 06-15-2006 | 01:37 PM

cops are stupid. isn't it a bit dangerous to drive 100+ mph just to write a ticket?
Old 06-15-2006 | 01:44 PM

What if when he went back to the car he radar'd other cars until he got someone going that speed?
Old 06-16-2006 | 03:14 AM

I actually never admitted to 69. I said I was going the speed limit and following right behind another car, so if I was guilty of 81, so would the 5 surrounding cars around me.

Quick Reply: Cop radar detector question