Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Citizen issues Cop $500 ticket

Old 04-25-2008 | 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by lowrthnu2.2,Apr 22 2008, 09:31 AM
I like how the cheif said a "legal" parking space like it was a joke
Yeah why should the popo have to follow the laws all they have to do is enforce them
Old 04-25-2008 | 08:57 AM
Former Moderator

It's the least we can do...they are underpaid and underappreciated...might as well let 'em have a power trip once in awhile.
Old 04-25-2008 | 08:58 AM
Former Moderator

And don't forget, as smracer31 reminded us...cops aren't all bad. In fact, during our S2000 event this past weekend in the mountains, we encountered some really cool cops. But it's a shame that they are a minority.
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:15 AM

cop got pwned. serves him right.
Old 04-25-2008 | 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ajlafleche,Apr 24 2008, 06:01 PM
That kind of stuff pi$$es me off, too. I can recall some years ago driving on the Mass Turnpike and seeing all these out of state police cars screaming down the passing lane to get to a funeral for a fallen officer in Boston. Also when I had the same turnpike commute, I'd regularly see the county sheriff van passing everyone at well above the speed limit to get to work. If I had passed a patrol car at those speeds, I'd have gotten a well deserved ticket.
regardless of the situation, as officers of the law/public safety, if they're going significantly faster than traffic, they should warn the soccer moms that they're coming up from behind at mach 0.5 by using their lights for safety's sake. they have the lights up there for a reason.

to be honest, if they're on duty driving fast to get somewhere with lights on, i'm not going to spy on the police to find out if what he's doing is really important enough to use lights for. while it's wrong to misuse/abuse the emergency equipment etc if it isn't an emergency response (ie lunch break, late to work), there are some gray areas, so i'll usually just give them benefit of the doubt until it appears otherwise.

that being said, flagrant illegal parking to get takeout faster is just abuse of the office/standing, and hoorah for that attorney. that type of blatant douchebaggery gives a lot of good cops a bad rap, so for the sake of the name of the good police officers in the area, it's good that attorney called the idiot out.

I was further disappointed with the chief's response. He can disagree with the attorney, but blowing it off with a bogus defense is not the right answer. Either address the issue at its root or just don't comment. His response sounded like "Since there's a possibility there could be a murder or robbery during lunch hour, my officers have a right to cut in line at Arby's. Cutting in line while grocery shopping is fair game too, so long as the officer is in uniform." That's the attitude i got from it, anyway. Glad he's not in the Army--then he'd have a big gun!
Old 04-25-2008 | 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by smracer31,Apr 24 2008, 06:03 PM
everyone likes to complain about cops until they need one. its a fukin parking spot who gives a shit
I've needed cops plenty of times, and when they came, guess what? They were completely and utterly useless. They even antagonized me for no good reason.
Old 04-25-2008 | 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by smracer31,Apr 24 2008, 06:03 PM
its a fukin parking spot who gives a shit
Novel thought.

That same cop, or one of his buddies will tag you in a second if you take that spot.

Go give it a try, and tell the cop giving you the ticket that line.

It sounds good and it will probably work well.

Let us know how it plays out.
Old 04-25-2008 | 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by airgate,Apr 25 2008, 08:57 AM
It's the least we can do...they are underpaid and underappreciated...might as well let 'em have a power trip once in awhile.
Underpaid are they?

I agree, they don't get a lot of compensation directly from the govt. But they can make bank on 'side' gigs that utilize their govt issued equipment (cars, uniforms, guns, badges). 3 of the top 5 annual incomes among govt employees in one state were...COPS.

Also, this is a dream for them.
- carry a gun
- executioners rights
- authority of others

It attracts a particular type of individual, and they get the above bennies that no other job can offer for their skill set.

A guy with a foot fetish will work at low wages to work in a shoe store. He will do it because he wants to do it, it satisfies his needs in a way that money cannot.
Old 04-25-2008 | 06:46 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Ruprecht,Apr 25 2008, 02:04 PM
Underpaid are they?

I agree, they don't get a lot of compensation directly from the govt. But they can make bank on 'side' gigs that utilize their govt issued equipment (cars, uniforms, guns, badges). 3 of the top 5 annual incomes among govt employees in one state were...COPS.

Also, this is a dream for them.
- carry a gun
- executioners rights
- authority of others

It attracts a particular type of individual, and they get the above bennies that no other job can offer for their skill set.

A guy with a foot fetish will work at low wages to work in a shoe store. He will do it because he wants to do it, it satisfies his needs in a way that money cannot.
Actually some shoe guys that work at Nieman's make 100k per year.