Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Citizen issues Cop $500 ticket

Old 04-22-2008 | 07:51 AM

Default Citizen issues Cop $500 ticket

Citizen issues Cop $500 ticket

Every bit helps. Maybe when I retire my hobby will be starting a 'Neighborhood Watch' program, but it will be a "cop watch" program. Solicit volunteers, lease a couple of cheapo cars, equip with digital cameras and vid and go on patrol to document law breaking and ethics issues among cops. Ahhh...I have a dream.
Old 04-22-2008 | 08:59 AM

Now he won't be able to cross the street w/out getting a ticket. Should've just let it go.
Old 04-22-2008 | 09:22 AM

More Power to him!

The cops aren't supposed to be above the law. I learned way back in high school that you could make a citizen's arrest &/or report police officers for their actions.

I personally believe they are held to a higher standard than you or I since they are supposed to know the laws and are sworn to uphold the law. I've never figured out how to catch a speeding police car tho. They are not supposed to speed unless they are responding to a call AND have their lights on, but they routinely use their cars as opportunities to drive as they please.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
Old 04-22-2008 | 09:31 AM

I like how the cheif said a "legal" parking space like it was a joke
Old 04-22-2008 | 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Apr 22 2008, 09:22 AM
I've never figured out how to catch a speeding police car tho.
A few years ago I was going to work and saw an unmarked police car use the carpool lane on the freeway onramp. I later caught up with it and noticed that the driver was alone in the car. I copied down the license number and, when I arrived at work, phoned the California Highway Patrol to report it; I didn't know to which agency the car belonged, but I figured that with the license number they'd be able to figure it out. A couple of hours later I gotr a phone call from an LAPD sergeant asking me if he could come interview me later that afternoon. I met him in the parking lot at work and I gave him all the details.

It turns out that the officer driving that car wasn't supposed to take it out of Los Angeles County; he was in Orange County when I saw him. Apparently he got in big trouble.

Sometimes the system works.
Old 04-22-2008 | 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by magician,Apr 22 2008, 09:46 AM
Sometimes the system works.
Wow. That is refreshing.

More public awareness of incidents like that would go far in curbing cynicism regarding the police. The good stories rarely make the news.
Old 04-22-2008 | 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Apr 22 2008, 11:22 AM
More Power to him!

The cops aren't supposed to be above the law. I learned way back in high school that you could make a citizen's arrest &/or report police officers for their actions.

I personally believe they are held to a higher standard than you or I since they are supposed to know the laws and are sworn to uphold the law. I've never figured out how to catch a speeding police car tho. They are not supposed to speed unless they are responding to a call AND have their lights on, but they routinely use their cars as opportunities to drive as they please.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

In my experience, most all cops are good cops, but it really rubs me the wrong way when the few feel they are above the law--at least obey the law when you're in uniform.
Old 04-22-2008 | 11:01 AM

I'm glad he was fined. I too hate it when cops feel like they are above the law. They take no hesitation in ticketing others. I would like to see more incidents similar to this happen and hopefully they will understand the feelings we the citizens feel when things like this happen.
Old 04-22-2008 | 12:23 PM

lol!!!!
Old 04-23-2008 | 08:54 AM

This guy has the right to stop you, search you, and put a bullet in your head.

The court favors his word over yours.

His noble goal is to make our world a better place. To protect, and to serve.

The light fell upon him before he was able to scurry under the baseboard.

The funny/sad thing here, is that he will do more time for the cows, than if he would've murdered a guy over a traffic stop...had he murdered a guy, he'd have administrative leave (with pay of course) and then back on the circuit in 20 days.

In the Garden State

Quick Reply: Citizen issues Cop $500 ticket