Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Caught Speeding at 103 mph

Old 01-11-2005 | 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jmc1971,Jan 11 2005, 02:33 PM
How old are you? If you're a younger driver then maybe he was trying to alert the judge (or DA) that you aren't the stereotypical "young punk in a sports car with a crappy attitude." Perhaps he's aware the judge or DA is more willing to help when younger drivers are polite rather than rude or disrespectful.

As far as helping his "case" goes...he wrote you a speeding ticket, not a ticket for poor deportment. In your particular case, your behavior after he stopped you doesn't have any bearing on the offense you're charged with. You were nice, so it sounds like he's trying to help you out. There are some very nice cops out there, contrary to popular opinion.
He definitely meant to write it on the ticket because he made a point to explain that he did it.

I'm 32. I understand what you mean about punk kids. But at the same time, as soon as I saw him in the distance through my rearview mirror, I immediately slowed down. Essentially, I let him catch me. I could have made it real interesting if I wanted to run (he was driving an Impala). He wasn't close enough to see my license plate even with his camera. I definitely had the upper hand, but at the same time, no reason to make a bad situation worse.

I don't have a beef with cops. I almost became one myself. I try and treat them with as much courtesy as possible because I respect the job they do and the crap they have to put up with. I know some are bad apples but thats true about any occupation. The good ones shouldn't take the rap for the bad ones.
Old 01-11-2005 | 05:50 PM
Banned

Amen ninethreeeleven!
Old 01-12-2005 | 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel,Jan 11 2005, 09:18 AM
What radar gun model has a printer attached? Please send me some info because I've never seen such a thing.
many models can be hooked up to a video camera which can then have evidence printed off of it.

first link when searching for laser gun: http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/speed1.htm

shows examples of printouts.
Old 01-13-2005 | 06:18 AM

Yeah I'm not talking about the UK. You'd be hard pressed to see that here also I've never seen a police officer bring his video tape into a court room. It won't happen for a traffic violation because he doesn't need it.
Old 01-13-2005 | 12:28 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I'd go to court and speak with the prosecutor. The points mean nothing to them, the county or anything else. In many cases, the fine for a zero point violation is just as much, plus the addition of court fees, etc... Even a double fee ticket and no points is less costly in the long run than a two point ticket, once the insurance company is involved. A zero point ticket with a big fine still gets the local authorities their money.

For a 15 over offense (the most minor in Ohio? - In NJ 14 is 2 points, 15 is 4 points), they should reduce to a zero point without hesitation, especially if you have a clean driving record.

If the prosecutor doesn't want to offer a lesser offense, pay the fines and walk. You probably don't want to go under oath in front of the judge with the officer's testimony against yours.

That's been my experience so far.

FYI: In NJ, they have instituted a mandatory $250 surcharge for all pleas to a zero point lesser offense. We get 2 free 'Unsafe Operations' in a rolling window (5 years I think). The third is a mandatory reckless driving for 4 points.
Old 01-13-2005 | 12:44 PM

Cops can be decent. Some years ago when I was in college, I was following a car on a curvy two lane road, double line all the way, at 30 mph when the limit was 55mph.

After about 10 miles I passed him when I had the chance. Of course, a state trooper was coming in the opposite direction. I saw him make a U-turn in my rear-view mirror. I decided to take my chances and immediately pulled over. Because I made it easy and undramatic for him to catch up with me, he let me go with a warning.
Old 01-13-2005 | 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by munckee,Jan 10 2005, 11:58 AM
I don't believe it's possible to use laser in a moving vehicle. I was under the impression that the cop had to be stationary and usually out of the vehicle to get a clean laser reading.
while I'm not saying the cop lied, laser has to be used from a stationary position. Radar can be used while moving. Usually if a cop uses laser, one cop would be stationed farther down the road so that he/she could easily track down the speeding vehicle if signaled by the stationary cop.

I believe you still have the right to ask for documented proof of your speed if you go to court...so I think you have a good chance of fighting this. But I do agree that getting knocked for 65 while doing 103 is extremely lucky!
Old 01-13-2005 | 01:41 PM

Ok, I have had my spent my fair time in court rooms for my lead foot. I got a ticked in Ohio when I had a S/C T-Bird in College we were averaging 85+ miles an hour back from NYC. I got busted because of the truck dirvers talking about me on the CB. I saw th Cop Prior to him getting a speed on me. I was busted @85 in a 55 in Ohio. The trooper was very cool walked up said can I have lic and insurance and I will be back with your ticket. less then 5 min latter he was back wrote the ticket for 75 in a 55. I went to court to see what could be done, I plead not-guilty and asked to talk with the D.A. The judge asked why I would plead not guilty and read the troopers notes to me in the court room not good considering they noted the truck driver CB chit chat. He then asked what I did (I had a FedEx uniform on since I worked for them) told him I went to college and drove a FedEx truck. He then asked what It would take to make this go away today, I explained insurance my job etc... He asked if I would plead a 65 in a 55 and I told him no contest. I do not remember how much $$$ later but it was worth the time.

Just remember if you go in solo with out help.

Ask to plead not-guilty and ask for a D.A.
If no one will deal with you, you can have a continuance.
Atty are very good at making things go away.
Old 01-13-2005 | 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel,Jan 13 2005, 09:18 AM
Yeah I'm not talking about the UK. You'd be hard pressed to see that here also I've never seen a police officer bring his video tape into a court room. It won't happen for a traffic violation because he doesn't need it.
ok...so I proved that he may have visual evidence...failing that your own post would also have the same impacts I discuss.

If he doesnt need evidence...and the cop knew he was going faster than he wrote on the ticket...then in court he could easily just say "fine i was trying to let this guy off cuz i saw it wasnt TOO dangerous etc etc.....he was going alot faster...lock him up"

not saying it would/is likely to happen...but if you already got off so easily I dont think pleading innocent is the way to go...

I would work towards traffic school or something akin to that.
Old 01-14-2005 | 07:56 AM

I never said to plead innocent nor do I remeber any of the replies saying anything of the sort. However i would plead not guilty and point out my quote.

. I would say that the officer was incredably nice and professional, you were surprised to see him, after he asked you how fast you were going to come back with a ticket that read 70mph instead of 65. You think that he made a slight error and you appologise for the infraction
In any of the 50 states I have yet to find one letter of anything requireing the police officer to show the offender proof under any circumatances.

Speeding isn't a jailable offence. I gave the speil earlier and i would garantee that unless you look like charles manson he'd get off with a reduced fine or reduced points.

Quick Reply: Caught Speeding at 103 mph