Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Caught Speeding at 103 mph

Old 01-10-2005 | 03:11 PM
Member (Premium)

Not neccessarily. In my case i got pinched for 90 in a 55 (we had slowed down from around 120) and willful speed competition (racing). My buddies and I were on our way to the track and we all took off from a stoplight. There were no side streets for at least two miles and no businesses. Just an empty divided four lane. That's for the racing flamers. I learned my lesson and don't do it anymore. Anyways, we got pulled and were very polite and the cop was really friendly with us and even somewhat sympathetic. You see, in NC 15 mph over the limit and they can take your license on the spot and take you to jail. In excess of 80 mph, same thing. Willful speed competition, same thing plus you can have your car impounded/siezed. Long story short, I got an attorney, got it reduced to careless/reckless driving, and kept my car and my license and stayed out of jail.

In other words, cops aren't always dicks when they pull you for going really fast. It just depends on the person you are dealing with and your atitude. Cops are people too. They're just like you and me, only they can take you to jail.
Old 01-11-2005 | 04:31 AM

I'm sure you don't have to go to court, but it could be a good idea. You could get driving school or probation.
Old 01-11-2005 | 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by JustAyoungMC,Jan 10 2005, 07:08 PM
I wouldnt want to contest it...go to court...and then see the radar print out that says 103.
What radar gun model has a printer attached? Please send me some info because I've never seen such a thing.
Old 01-11-2005 | 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by terd ferguson,Jan 10 2005, 04:19 PM
A lawyer gives you a better chance than you going in there alone. The D.A.'s and defense attorneys are usually friendly with each other ( at least a lot more friendly than you are with the D.A.). $200 or $300 for an attorney is a lot cheaper than what your insurance will go up for the next three years. My ex-father-in-law was an attorney, and you would not believe all the backroom deals and handshake aggreements that go on out of sight in the halls of the courthouse. I had a speeding ticket torn up in front of me in the halls of the court house (by the cop who gave it to me).

Attorneys are like divorces, they're expensive because they're worht it. But its usually cheaper than increased insurance rates. I don't always understand people who want to represent themselves. Attorneys are professionals who represent people for a living. I, personally, would never go to court without an attorney (unless I'm picking someone up).
I saw plenty of people with laywers at my cases and all but one was for DUI or DWI. The one that was for speeding, well that dude had to pay the whole fine + court cost. I got PBJ but then again I kissed the judges ass.
Old 01-11-2005 | 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by JustAyoungMC,Jan 10 2005, 07:08 PM
I wouldnt want to contest it...go to court...and then see the radar print out that says 103.
He had to be on the move by the time I hit 100+. If he clocked at anything over 70+ I think he would have told me up front to scare the crap out of me.

Besides, if the officer wrote the ticket for a speed different than that actually measured (even if it was slower) isn't it like false evidence. Isn't it his job to document and report exactly what occurred? I'm no expert at this, but it seems to me the officer is playing the role of a judge when he does this. And, how does he explain this to the judge, "I caught him speeding at 103 but I wrote a ticket for 70, I wanted to make sure the punishment for the crime wasn't too severe your honor. Basically, I decided to let a reckless operator go on a measly 15 mph ticket.
Old 01-11-2005 | 07:37 AM

Actually he has the right to change it only because he's trained to also visually detect your speed. As such the radar is only to be used as a tool not absolute proof. Besides if you brought that up (that he lowered it) the judge can raise it during the trial.
Old 01-11-2005 | 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel,Jan 11 2005, 11:37 AM
Actually he has the right to change it only because he's trained to also visually detect your speed. As such the radar is only to be used as a tool not absolute proof. Besides if you brought that up (that he lowered it) the judge can raise it during the trial.
Yeah, the judge doesn
Old 01-11-2005 | 08:32 AM

i think he put that on the ticket to help you. no doubt about that.
Old 01-11-2005 | 10:01 AM

Typically they write on the back of there copy of the ticket the relevant information pertaining to the stop. That way they can act like they remember the incident. He probably ment to write that on his but accidentally wrote it on yours. Either way it's good./
Old 01-11-2005 | 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by pulp350z,Jan 11 2005, 12:20 PM
But my thoughts keep coming back to the comment he wrote on the ticket, "very cooperative". What good does it serve his case to do this, does it make a difference if I do go to court and beg for mercy, and why would he go out of his way to do this???
How old are you? If you're a younger driver then maybe he was trying to alert the judge (or DA) that you aren't the stereotypical "young punk in a sports car with a crappy attitude." Perhaps he's aware the judge or DA is more willing to help when younger drivers are polite rather than rude or disrespectful.

As far as helping his "case" goes...he wrote you a speeding ticket, not a ticket for poor deportment. In your particular case, your behavior after he stopped you doesn't have any bearing on the offense you're charged with. You were nice, so it sounds like he's trying to help you out. There are some very nice cops out there, contrary to popular opinion.

Quick Reply: Caught Speeding at 103 mph