Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Caught Speeding at 103 mph

Old 01-10-2005 | 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by S2Kguy,Jan 10 2005, 11:59 AM
Paying for breaking a speed law is a ridiculous notion altogether, you did no one any harm, you're only paying for the law, there is no wrongfulness here.
the fine is a more of a deterrent...I'd pay it and be thankful that I didn't get caught at 103 mph!
Old 01-10-2005 | 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by S2Kguy,Jan 10 2005, 01:59 PM
Paying for breaking a speed law is a ridiculous notion altogether, you did no one any harm, you're only paying for the law, there is no wrongfulness here.

Always remember, no one cares if you live or die, hell, they don't even care if you speed, all they want is your MONEY, and they're going to get it one way or the other.
Driving 53 mph over the speed limit is a rediculous notion altogether.
I care if you come by me at 103 in a 50. I understand that there are bullshit traffic laws, but there are also bullshit drivers.

Pay the ticket and slow down. Grandma in the right lane is not expecting someone to be coming up that fast on them, so when she moves infront of you at 45 and you smash right through her trunk into the back of her head, the world will not care about you, but many will weap for ol' granny.

SLOW DOWN.
Old 01-10-2005 | 10:42 AM

I called the court house. Lady said $65 court cost and $30 fine and 2 points. I asked about taking a driving course to get the points reduced. She said its a one time deal in Ohio and they usually only allow it when point are high 8-10.
Old 01-10-2005 | 10:43 AM

:I might sound crazy, but why not pay the ticket and move on? You got off extremely lucky.
he could have tagged you for wreckless driving or something else on the deep end
Old 01-10-2005 | 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ninethreeeleven,Jan 10 2005, 02:40 PM
Driving 53 mph over the speed limit is a rediculous notion altogether.
I care if you come by me at 103 in a 50. I understand that there are bullshit traffic laws, but there are also bullshit drivers.

Pay the ticket and slow down. Grandma in the right lane is not expecting someone to be coming up that fast on them, so when she moves infront of you at 45 and you smash right through her trunk into the back of her head, the world will not care about you, but many will weap for ol' granny.

SLOW DOWN.
Dude, It was a two lane country road. no other traffic (except the po-po 2000 ft behind me).
Old 01-10-2005 | 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Jan 10 2005, 10:07 AM
In Ohio always request to see the radar. They should have it locked in and you have a right to see it if that's how he said he clocked you.
Always take a ticket to court, if you don't have a leg to stand on just pleed for a lessor fine/points. I have always recieved a lessor fine.

I'm surprised this is correct. Maybe Ohio has some law that says a police officer must prove his case to the defendant in a traffic incident. In every stat I've been in usually he only needs to prove it to a prosecuter, a judge, and rarely a jury not the dude he's pulling over. Also you can't always LOCK in a number on a radar gun so that's one crazy law, I'm not saying your wrong just wondering what law this is your quoteing. Note that typically askinig such a thing will get you in more trouble.
Old 01-10-2005 | 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by no_really,Jan 10 2005, 10:55 AM
get a lawyer. Cops don't tell you things in a "round-a-bout" way. You almost never need to go to court for a speeding ticket, unless the cop specified you were endangering life or property.

If your county lets you go to traffic school, do so, or get a lawyer, who will get adjudication for the ticket, meaning you pay the fine and promise to not do it again. If you do it again, you get the same lawyer to do the same thing all over again. The process costs little more than just paying the fine, and the lawyer can keep the ticket off your record, so it is far cheaper in the long run than just paying the ticket, once you add up insurance premiums and the costs of further tickets down the line. The easiest way to screw yourself out of your license and your money is to try to go to court yourself and attempt to argue your way out of a fine.
You must have never fought a ticket. I have three times and 2 tickects thrown out altogether(on stop), one probation before judgment and one reduced fine. I never had an attorney. You're not a criminal you just violated a regulation and no that's not the definition of a criminal. These judges and police don't think that average speeder is a bad person, unless you are. So put on the suit comb your hair be respectfull and discuss the situation calmly.

I wouldn't challange the police officers charge, you did it and he's going to look more credable than you. I would say that the officer was incredably nice and professional, you were surprised to see him, after he asked you how fast you were going to come back with a ticket that read 70mph instead of 65. You think that he made a slight error and you appologise for the infraction. The judge will look at you and if you look nice talk well and seem genuine will probably lesson the charge quickly and send you on your way. Can you say Probabation before judgement because I'm telling you unless you go in there with a motley crew T, a mullett and a tattoo of a swatstikker on your forhead or start talking crap he's going to let you off even easier than the police officer. Also note the officer will like the fact that you said he was professional and polite, you never know when you might run into him again .
Old 01-10-2005 | 12:19 PM
Member (Premium)

A lawyer gives you a better chance than you going in there alone. The D.A.'s and defense attorneys are usually friendly with each other ( at least a lot more friendly than you are with the D.A.). $200 or $300 for an attorney is a lot cheaper than what your insurance will go up for the next three years. My ex-father-in-law was an attorney, and you would not believe all the backroom deals and handshake aggreements that go on out of sight in the halls of the courthouse. I had a speeding ticket torn up in front of me in the halls of the court house (by the cop who gave it to me).

Attorneys are like divorces, they're expensive because they're worht it. But its usually cheaper than increased insurance rates. I don't always understand people who want to represent themselves. Attorneys are professionals who represent people for a living. I, personally, would never go to court without an attorney (unless I'm picking someone up).
Old 01-10-2005 | 02:11 PM

I got pulled over doing a 100 mph in a 55 when i was 17...this was the first time i had ever gottne pulled over....got a lawyer for $500 and got off with 60 hrs community service+0 points...was lucky they did not take my license....so he had no idea how fast you wre going, when you get pulled over for triple speeds, the cop is definitly not a happy guy because he had to risk his life just to chase you down, no way in hell he writes you for only 15 over the limit...In any case, get a lawyer for $300 and make sure it gets bumped down to something with no points for insurance reasons
Old 01-10-2005 | 03:08 PM

I wouldnt want to contest it...go to court...and then see the radar print out that says 103.

Quick Reply: Caught Speeding at 103 mph