Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Caught Speeding at 103 mph

Old 01-10-2005 | 03:33 AM

Default Caught Speeding at 103 mph

Well, finally a nice day here in ohio so I decided to take the Z out for a spin. I hadn't driven it in a month.

I was at an intersection outside of town and turned right along a country road. I was feeling like ripping off a few gears so off I went.. 1st...2nd...3rd...ahh, nice...4th... and finally settled into 5th . Looked at the speedo and was cruising at 103 mph. Looked in the mirror and a cop was about 1/8-1/4 mile back with his lights on. Damn!

Didn't no what to do so I slowed down (probably the best thing). He caught up with me and I pulled over. He sat in his car for what seemed like for ever. I was really puzzled too because I never saw him and my passport 8500 never went off. I was sweating bullets.

He came up to the door asked for drivers license and insurance and said
Old 01-10-2005 | 04:50 AM

hah, There is no way that he clocked you. He progbably gave you a ticket for only 15 over so you wouldn't have to go to court. He knew that you were speeding but didn't know by how much. If he gave you a ticket for 70 in a 50, you most likely would have had to gone to court. And if you are stuck going to court you are more likely to contest the ticket. Contesting a ticket without proof of speed can be thrown out easily, if you can get the cop to admit that he doens't have proof of your speed.
Old 01-10-2005 | 05:13 AM

Just checked the ticket. It states he clocked me using laser. My 8500 NEVER went off. When it goes off its loud as hell.
Old 01-10-2005 | 06:07 AM
Former Moderator

In Ohio always request to see the radar. They should have it locked in and you have a right to see it if that's how he said he clocked you.
Old 01-10-2005 | 06:55 AM
Banned

get a lawyer. Cops don't tell you things in a "round-a-bout" way. You almost never need to go to court for a speeding ticket, unless the cop specified you were endangering life or property.

If your county lets you go to traffic school, do so, or get a lawyer, who will get adjudication for the ticket, meaning you pay the fine and promise to not do it again. If you do it again, you get the same lawyer to do the same thing all over again. The process costs little more than just paying the fine, and the lawyer can keep the ticket off your record, so it is far cheaper in the long run than just paying the ticket, once you add up insurance premiums and the costs of further tickets down the line. The easiest way to screw yourself out of your license and your money is to try to go to court yourself and attempt to argue your way out of a fine.
Old 01-10-2005 | 07:17 AM

get a lawyer. i just got out of a racing ticket last week with one. all i got was 6 months probation and a $750 fine. not to bad
Old 01-10-2005 | 07:58 AM

I don't believe it's possible to use laser in a moving vehicle. I was under the impression that the cop had to be stationary and usually out of the vehicle to get a clean laser reading.
Old 01-10-2005 | 08:02 AM

I might sound crazy, but why not pay the ticket and move on? You got off extremely lucky.
Old 01-10-2005 | 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by koala,Jan 10 2005, 12:02 PM
I might sound crazy, but why not pay the ticket and move on? You got off extremely lucky.
I get where you are comming from. And I agree, I did get lucky. I'm not bitchin' but at the same time I want to get out of the situation with as little "damage" as possible. At this point I'm just trying to figure out what's the best way to play it out.

And I'm still confused as to why he would write "very cooperative" in the comment section on the ticket (He even pointed this out to me). Its kinda like your math teacher putting a blue ribbon sticker on a notice to serve detention.

My only guess is that he's suggesting that if I go to court that the judge will go easy on me.
Old 01-10-2005 | 09:59 AM

You did get lucky, but don't just pay the ticket.

Paying for breaking a speed law is a ridiculous notion altogether, you did no one any harm, you're only paying for the law, there is no wrongfulness here.

Always remember, no one cares if you live or die, hell, they don't even care if you speed, all they want is your MONEY, and they're going to get it one way or the other.

Call the clerk of court, ask for the D.A.'s name, politely ask him if you might be able to pay double the fine to get it reduced to a non-moving violation (no points). Driving school takes care of your points, but it still shows as a violation, and your insurance company will assuredly remind you of that upon getting your next ticket. If he says he'll do it, show up the day of court with cash, if he says forget it, ask a local attorney if such things are done. You may be in an area where you cannot get the ticket reduced, then again, you may get lucky.

NEVER argue with the judge, NEVER argue with the Police Officer, NEVER argue with the D.A. Your answer to EVERYTHING is "Yes Sir".

Quick Reply: Caught Speeding at 103 mph