Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Casual sex

Old 11-24-2003, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bubbastook
An unrequired action is always more honest than one that is forced. The above diatribe makes no sense at all. Please consult those who make your thoughts for you and write a more cogent response.
While an unrequired action is arguably never less honest than one that is forced, to say that it is always more honest is untrue: one can do something totally honestly and willingly even in the presence of external compulsion.

The "diatribe" does make sense when you stop to think that the decision to marry, and to commit to lifelong actions of the type JonBoy is describing, is unrequired and therefore honest. His point is that this unrequired--hence, honest--action is incredibly profound because it carries commitment for a lifetime.

Try to avoid the personal attacks--". . . those who make your thoughts for you . . ."--they don't become you.

Whilst you're at it, practice quoting others; removing the "[/QUOTE]" makes it difficult to see where JonBoy's thoughts end and yours begin.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:49 AM

Again, please consult those who make your thoughts for you and tell me how on earth an action which is externally forced could possibly result in anything which is stronger or more honest than that which results from internal feelings.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not trying to argue, just looking for a clarification. What's the difference between judging and passing judgement?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by bubbastook
Again, please consult those who make your thoughts for you and tell me how on earth an action which is externally forced could possibly result in anything which is stronger or more honest than that which results from internal feelings.
Nobody said that it could.

Does suggesting that someone else makes our thoughts for us give you some sort of internal satisfaction that would be missing in our absence? If so, I, for one, am happy to have helped.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brantshali
I'm not trying to argue, just looking for a clarification.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:57 AM

I thought I had asked JonBoy for clarification. Do you make his thoughts for him or just his answers?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Former Moderator

bubba,

As magician requested before, please refrain from that veiled personal attack. Everyone here has expressed personal thoughts and feelings and is trying to discuss this maturely. Repeating a precise phrase that is counterproductive just to be a smartass isn't appreciated.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by magician
Old 11-24-2003, 12:00 PM

Only if you believe that good people are incapable of doing bad things.

God loved David, and made him a king over his people. David committed adultery and murder; in fact, he had a good run at breaking all ten of the commandments.

True, the distinction may be subtle, but the ability to appreciate subtlety is arguably a measure of one's intelligence.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Former Moderator

Hmmmm...point taken, magician.

Quick Reply: Casual sex