Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

CART race - Tracy fined; Servia flips

Old 10-15-2001 | 12:11 PM

Default CART race - Tracy fined; Servia flips

Who watched the race yesterday? Oriol Servia went for a nasty tumble. Was that his HANS device that came flying off?? Glad to hear he is fine, no (serious injuries).

Geez, Paul Tracy has the worst luck (and the worst temper). I just read he was fined $50,000 for his behavior. I agree with it all except for the pit lane thing........looked like Castroneves pushed him into the barrier rather than the other way around. My 2 francs........

What's up with CART??? They're loosing momentum fast............this sucks, I would hate to see the series disappear. It's really exciting to watch.
Old 10-15-2001 | 01:20 PM

No that was the covering for the cockpit...his HANS device was still attached...thankfully!

Ditto on the fine, I think it was one of those sh*t happens things. He was lucky he didn't get fined up to $200k for the clown comment though
Old 10-15-2001 | 01:27 PM

I watched the race yesterday, and it was pretty interesting. I still think Gil De Ferran deserved the win, unfortunately because of all the yellow flags, he didn't. But I do believe Gil clinched the Driver's Championship, and Penske Honda clinched the Constructor's Championship.

Servia's flip was scary, I thought it only happens in Hollywood ( Driven ). It's interesting to see where Cart is going in the near future with it's plans to switch to normally aspirated engines.

Tracy could have gotten slapped with a fine up to $250,000 for his comment about the chairman for Cart but he does make a harsh point.

powered by:
HONDA
Old 10-15-2001 | 01:38 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

For some reason this thread is hanging up my computer. Check out the other CART thread on this forum.
Old 10-15-2001 | 02:34 PM

I saw the race. I really couldn't tell what happened to Paul, becasue the camera angle was obscured by a bridge, but it looks like Castroneves pushed him into the wall.

De Ferran hasn't clinched the driver's chamionship yet, but he's really close. Honda DID clinch the manufacturer's championship though.

The crash was pretty scary. Oriol's car went airborn and then straight into the ground, which caused it to flip end over end. Good thing he had the HANS device on. Probably saved his life.
Old 10-15-2001 | 02:45 PM
Former Moderator

I think the HANS device saved his life, no question.
I also agree 100% with Tracy, he was dead on in his remarks, although not as eloquent as he could been. I'm glad that he didn't get the whole fine, but I think any fine is a joke. When the orginization is so poorly run, and everybody knows it, I think drivers speaking out on equlity, saftey, and the well being of the series is very important. The things is CART won't learn a thing from it, with thier high and mighty attitude.
Kinda makes me wish I didn't love it so much,
Old 10-15-2001 | 02:52 PM

Tracy is right, and it's a damn shame. I've been to several CART races as well as NASCRAP, F1, ALMS, IRL, Trans AM and SCCA. Hands down CART offers the closest, most exciting racing and at a damn fair price. CART has SO many GREAT events and I'm going to miss it when it's gone (soon).

With respect to Tony George; well, he is evil, but did allow coolers at this years USGP when he could have gotten away with banning them and forcing me to buy beer at $5 a can as opposed to $5 a six pack.

Well, maybe the demise of CART will be good for the AMLS. They will be running at Road America, Mid-Ohio, Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca - the best road circuits in the US.
Old 10-15-2001 | 03:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

I've been to all three days of every Long Beach Grand Prix and Fontana CART race. I can't imagine life without CART -- the most exciting form of racing. (F1 is more like a demonstration of technology.)

The HANS device absolutely saved Servia's life. That was really scary -- a double back flip! I'm so happy he's OK, especially after the Zanardi tragedy. It was nice to see Papis do donuts after he won and say afterwards that he did it for his good friend Alex. (His donuts weren't as stylish as Zanardi's, though -- practice, I guess.)
Old 10-15-2001 | 03:11 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&highlight=CART

Good reading - HONDA are you out there?