Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

CART: Gets worse every day. . .

Old 11-05-2001 | 03:35 PM

I've never liked CART one bit, though Honda is always dominating the game but now that they're pulling out for a complete focus on F1 ... Which is a very very good thing, hell CART will become a second class competition nevertheless.

Old 11-05-2001 | 03:37 PM
20 Year Member

Originally posted by Stealthy_S2K
I fall asleep on the grand stand during Indy GP this year AT THE TRACK with 18000RPM engine zooming by me all the time.
Say what. . where I went to school they called that passed out. Personally, I only had a couple beers before the start, so I enjoyed the whole race outside turn 2.

I didn't see any other S2000s on the road to or from, but did meet another owner from the Green Bay area with a white one in the camping area.
Old 11-05-2001 | 03:42 PM
20 Year Member

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
I've never liked CART one bit, though Honda is always dominating the game but now that they're pulling out for a complete focus on F1 ... Which is a very very good thing, hell CART will become a second class competition nevertheless.

Thats hard to believe; how many races have you watched? It has had some of the best road racing ever IMO. I've attended F1, LeMans, etc. and I hate to see it go in the crapper but nothing stays the same for ever.
Old 11-06-2001 | 01:56 AM

Well since they will be using the same engine formula as IRL in the future they should combine the series into two leagues like baseball and football. Let the Indy 500 be the Superbowl where both series run together. CART can be mostly road courses and IRL can be mostly (or all) ovals. Each group would have their own feeder series and at the end of the year there can be an "All Star" race.

Just a thought.
Old 11-06-2001 | 05:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]Well since they will be using the same engine formula as IRL in the future they should combine the series into two leagues like baseball and football.
Old 11-06-2001 | 06:10 AM

With the impeding demise of CART, I have to say I'm quite irritated at their inability to produce an effective series. They clearly have the better drivers, witness this year's 500 finishes. Personally, I think ovals are as boring as watching golf on TV.

What I have been doing this year to make up for the lack of CART (or preparing myself for it, rather) is to watch the ALM races. I find the differing classes out on the track make for more interesting commentary, i.e. if the Corvettes are punishing the Vipers again, they can switch to Audi vs Panoz. ALM doesn't do ovals, they run in the rain, etc., usually making for interesting races. Hopefully, that series won't bite the dust....
Old 11-06-2001 | 07:21 AM
JRM

CART s ownership is responsible and they always have been. They are just paying the ultimate price for their own stupidity. You can't ignore the obvious things cause they will come back and bit you in the end. I just hope no one gets injuried from this stupidity, as things fall apart.
Old 11-06-2001 | 07:34 AM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

JRM-

We race fans are the ones getting hurt. We're losing a very competitive racing series that's been around forever.
Old 11-06-2001 | 09:18 AM

CART is also a democracy whereas the IRL like NASCAR is a benevolent dictatorship. Guess which is the better way to run a racing series?

CART reminds me of the old adage about committees

"A camel is a just a horse that was designed by a committee."
Old 11-06-2001 | 11:53 AM

NO PENSKE, NO HONDA???????
What is this world coming to?
First of all- I hate watching races on oval tracks.
second- I hate to watch IRL and ecspecially Nascar.
third- I HATE NASCAR!!!!! ( how can anyone like that crap?)
fourth- And now I'm not going to be able to enjoy CART?

The only good racing circuit left is Formula 1 and LeMans.
(I don't really care for the Trans-Am series)

Quick Reply: CART: Gets worse every day. . .