Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

car insurance between states

Old 08-22-2007 | 08:02 AM

Default car insurance between states

i was wondering if anyone have idea how the insurance system works as far as with your regular driver lisence between states goes. i know a few people from so cal here to mississippi, and they have had their lisence changed to MSs, pulled their driving record from here, came out all clean, so they claimed clean record when they went to get their car insurance. been couple years since, and no problem. i mean these insurance companies, this is their business. can they really sorely go with your DL number and what you claim? wouldn't they be able to see all your driving record when they pull your social security number and all???
Old 08-22-2007 | 08:14 AM

No pretty much any time you switch your drivers license to another state nothing transfers. You get a clean license. When the insurance company checks they just check the new number and what ever shows up is what they go by.

Now if you live on the border of two states and you just go across to your neighboring state it might not work.

I have worked in insurance for tens years and i have never seen it not work though.
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:21 PM

So. if i get a FL license and a new insurance company my traffic accident is gonna disappear, and my insurance will be reduced?Since i have a NC license.
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:41 PM

I dont think so, i belive all the insurance and DL are computer connected.
If you have had an accident in the last 5 yrs its gonna show up.
Old 08-22-2007 | 02:56 PM

some states share license data. Not all do, likely because not all states have the infrastructure to do so. Just because it is on a computer doesn't mean every computer in the land can automagically read and make sense of it.

In addition, insurance carriers have to be licensed in each state they operate in. Some companies might operate in multiple states, but that's no guarantee they track data on each driver from state to state. So company that operates in both Mississippi and California would have no reason to believe a driver that moved from MS to CA was the same person with a bad record in MS and a good record in CA. I suppose they could do a nationwide search of DL records cross-referenced against a SSN for each new customer, but I'm not sure I endorse that kind of monitoring, and it would be rather expensive to implement and a hassle to operate.
Old 08-22-2007 | 02:59 PM

i couldn't believe it either. living in the 21century, you'd think everything will be connected, but the guy i spoke to said he's had a few speeding and had his lisence suspended once and nothing showed.
Old 08-22-2007 | 03:26 PM

you have to understand that the DL records are kept in databases that are not uniform across the country. Some states use a DL number based on a SSN, some use numbers based on the application date and location, some are sequential, whatever. And the records themselves are not foramtted uniformly. One state might catalogue everything with a separate field for first, middle, last, maiden, etc., while another state might list everything by the complete name. Birthdates might be dd-mm-yyyy or yyyy-dd-mm; addresses might be street, apt #, city, state, zip, and others by street and apt. #, city, county; expiration dates might be based on application date, birthdate, or some other arbitrary method and may or may not be listed.

In addition, these DL databases typically restrict access to certain physical locations and are segregated from regular civilian communications networks, meaning to connect CA with MS requires a wire to connect a physical location in MS with some place in CA, and the administrators and regulations in MS regarding access to their DL system would very likely prohibit any scheme to provide widespread access to the system outside of their control. So connecting CA DMV's with the MS system would require CA being willing to submit to MS oversight and management. Now imagine trying to coordinate the various regulations and restrictions demanded by 50 different states over a vast physical distance. And taking into acount the various posible ways the data could be formatted, organized, and searched, and you'd require each DMV to maintain numerous search facilities and each search would need to be performed multiple times to get all the data from the various systems.

Beyond the cost and time, the practicalities are rather prohibitive. Even a standardized national DMV would be unwieldy and impractical, as specific rules and policies vary state by state, and sheer volume of data is impractical to handle efficiently at that scale. Every DMV in the nation needs to be able to search and modify large amounts of data daily, not even considering the demands of the various state and local offices that require access for their purposes. Try to run all those demands into one facility located a continent away from some of the customers, and you are asking for catastrophic headaches.

This is the 21st century, which means there are numerous possible ways to store data, and most data systems like DL databases are based on technology, software, and organizational schemas that are up to half a century old or more. Computer database technology is more oriented around protecting the integrity of the data than inter-operating with disparate systems. There are very real drawbacks to making every effort to provide easy access to such data, and database systems are not inherently compatible.
Old 08-24-2007 | 08:25 AM

thanks for the explanation GT2003. i really didn't think it would be too hard to see someone's driving record by their SSN.