Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Is this bad? or just wrong?

Old 12-02-2006 | 08:58 AM

Default Is this bad? or just wrong?

Ok heres the deal my insurance is in my moms name so i am no where on the plan. I am just worried when i go to get insurance in a few years they will wonder about my past insurance or question me driving for 6 years with no insurance in my name. I am not worried about the accident part or getting pulled over. Just kinda worried about in the future. We do this because when i was 18 i was stupid and got a ticket for doing 78 in a 35 and now the insurance company will take every penny they can no matter what car i have. Thanks for the help you guys have been nothing but helpful in the past. And lets keep the flaming about the ticket to a minimum i know i messed and was dumb.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2006 | 09:24 AM

first of all, insurance would not know that you got cited for goint 78 in a 35. all they see are how many points you have on your driving record. now i don't know how many points one receives for such excessive speed in your state, but hypothetically if it's 2, then all insurance will see is that you have 2 points and will not know exactly how you got those 2 points. for all they know you could had gotten those 2 points from getting cited 2 different times for turning without signalling. nonetheless, the detail is not important. the fact remains you have 2 points and your insurance rate will be based on that.

one of the first things insurance will ask when you reapply for insurance is whether or not you have continuous insurance under your name for at least the past 18 months. if not, then they will charge you a higher insurance rate for the next few years. insurance are very systematic when it comes it determining rates for an individual. they take consideration of points on driving record, past insurance claims, age of driver, year make and model of vehicle, location, and a bunch of other criteria, and a computer will computate the rates to charge. they're not gonna ask why you didn't have you own insurance the past couple of years because reality is that there can be lots of reasons, and they really don't care what it is. it could be that you didn't own a car under your name the past 2 years, or you haven't been driving for the past 2 years, etc.
Old 12-02-2006 | 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Dec 2 2006, 10:24 AM
first of all, insurance would not know that you got cited for goint 78 in a 35. all they see are how many points you have on your driving record. now i don't know how many points one receives for such excessive speed in your state, but hypothetically if it's 2, then all insurance will see is that you have 2 points and will not know exactly how you got those 2 points. for all they know you could had gotten those 2 points from getting cited 2 different times for turning without signalling. nonetheless, the detail is not important. the fact remains you have 2 points and your insurance rate will be based on that.

one of the first things insurance will ask when you reapply for insurance is whether or not you have continuous insurance under your name for at least the past 18 months. if not, then they will charge you a higher insurance rate for the next few years. insurance are very systematic when it comes it determining rates for an individual. they take consideration of points on driving record, past insurance claims, age of driver, year make and model of vehicle, location, and a bunch of other criteria, and a computer will computate the rates to charge. they're not gonna ask why you didn't have you own insurance the past couple of years because reality is that there can be lots of reasons, and they really don't care what it is. it could be that you didn't own a car under your name the past 2 years, or you haven't been driving for the past 2 years, etc.
Ok thanks i guess i need to go down to the police department and ask how many points i have against me. When i did an online quote it said about $160 a month is that about right? That is about what the bank said it would be this was for a 00-01 S2k with less then 55K. Oh and i am 20.

Thanks for any additional help that is given. And the past two cars have been in my name so i dont know if that will say anything to the insurance company.
Old 12-02-2006 | 09:48 AM

Sounds right, the S2000 is a high insurance rate car.
Old 12-02-2006 | 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by CBR2200,Dec 2 2006, 10:48 AM
Sounds right, the S2000 is a high insurance rate car.
Right now its $86 dollars for my 03SI that full coverage and in my moms name. I figure i would be looking for a different car this summer fall. I will have about 9K-10K to spend after selling the ep. So i can get a S2k in the 16-18K range and pay it off in about 18 months or so. then switch the insurance to my name.
Old 12-02-2006 | 10:13 AM

It might be cheaper to switch over the insurance now... not sure how long you are planning on keeping the Si, but the premiums on an S are already pretty bad. If you are comfortable driving around with liability only on the S once you've paid the bank off then the 25% premium for lapsed insurance (atleast that is what it is with our insurers) won't be nearly as bad.
Old 12-02-2006 | 10:16 AM

$160/month really isn't that bad, considering you're only 20. i'm older than you, but since i'm in a metropolitan area in CA, i'm paying more than that.

btw, you go to the DMV to find out how many points you have on your driving record, and not the police station.
Old 12-02-2006 | 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Malloric,Dec 2 2006, 11:13 AM
It might be cheaper to switch over the insurance now... not sure how long you are planning on keeping the Si, but the premiums on an S are already pretty bad. If you are comfortable driving around with liability only on the S once you've paid the bank off then the 25% premium for lapsed insurance (atleast that is what it is with our insurers) won't be nearly as bad.
well i figure either A. when i get the loan down to say 4Kish refinance and get cheaper payments or B. Just keep the insurance in my moms name until i pay it off. That way i will be able to afford it and by some goodies for the S. Even thought i plan to keep it pretty stock.
Old 12-02-2006 | 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=VTEC_Junkie,Dec 2 2006, 11:16 AM] $160/month really isn't that bad, considering you're only 20.
Old 12-02-2006 | 10:19 AM

my advice is to give a few insurance companies a call and get a few quotes. rates can vary quite significantly amongst different companies.

Quick Reply: Is this bad? or just wrong?