Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Anyone see the M3 with the M5 V8 at 24 hours of Daytona

Old 02-06-2001, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone else see the M3 that was run at the 24 Hours of Daytona last weekend. They shoe-horned an M5 V8 into the new M3. And we thought the M3 was a pretty bad car. Now wait till they drop the V8 into it.
Old 02-06-2001, 12:23 PM

Yeah, I saw that. The M3 is already a great car, but stuff an M5 V8 in there and...... you have one REALLY awesome ride!!
Old 02-06-2001, 12:51 PM

Yea, I saw it up close. I crew for the Genesis Racing BMW's #9 & #10. Our #10 M3 finished 9th overall and 6th in GT out of 80 cars (40 GT cars). In fact both cars finished the race which is an accomplishment in itself. Bill Auberlen set the second quickest race lap in the GT class in our #10 car. He was only slower than the V8 M3. He is one awesome driver. The V8 is actually shorter than our I6 cylinder so it fits quite well in the car.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:02 AM

JMark, didn't happen to take any photos did you? I'd love to see some of the event and the V8 e46 M3.

Congrats to your team for a good showing!
Old 02-07-2001, 10:44 AM

No, didn't have time too. Try http://www.theracesite.com
Old 02-07-2001, 10:59 AM

BMW is going to offer the M3 with the V8 option. Originally it was supposed to be late this year but I believe that they have delayed until next year.
Old 02-07-2001, 06:22 PM

Car is question has been known under a few different names, M3GT, M3 Lightweight... basically a gutted e46 M3 that will have the V8 engine. It's to be unveiled at a euro auto show later this year, rumored to be starting around $70k.
Old 02-07-2001, 09:32 PM

OK, Since we are on the topic of E46M3. Personal, I have mine on the list. Currently number 7 in my local dealership. With NASDAQ continuing stay around 2500, most likly I will move up the list. Anyway, Through BMW Digest "RUMOR" has it that BMW is still having problem with E46M3 engine. Appearently the head-gasket will not last long. Therefore, it failed the longivity test. According to the rumor, most likly we will not see the car to the "MASS" until September. The V8 from M5 in Rolex is a stock M5 engine with some mod. I have got this info from the people who went to PTG open house organized by BMWCCA. PTG is going to get DTM M5 engine late this year. Now, they are going to kick some 911s ass.

I have heard too rumor about V8 engine in E46M3. Personally, I don't see that happen. Even though, they are putting V8 in E46 body. The Le Man govern body feels that they have to equal the playing field with 911GT3s that powered by 3.6 flat-6. That is why they are allowing PTG to put V8 in E46. However, it doesn't mean that BMW will not put a V8 in production E46. I guess only demand will tell. Seriously, I don't want to pay $60K+ for a 3 series. Just like not many people spend $55K for a MB C43 2 years ago or a C36 @$50K 4 years ago.
Old 02-07-2001, 10:33 PM

Not sure if you're up to date on the e46 M3 but they are being sold as we speak in Europe. #1's on the lists in the US already have March allocations and have already placed their options, first cars will be on the road here in April. All engine problems have been fixed as far as I know. I'd highly doubt BMW would finally release a car so highly acclaimed and scrutinized without fully testing it, which they have for quite some time (and including several delays).

I also believe the V8 M3 will come out. Enthusiast will gobble them up, I myself would gladly pay the projected $70k pricetag over the much more expensive 911 GT3 price (if it was even available in the US). BMW will be able to sell every M3GT they put on the market. Plus, not knowing specifically how GT class works, but for WSBK (motorcycling) it's a necessity to sell "X" amount of steet versions to compete with a model in the championship. Case in point being my RC-51.
Old 02-08-2001, 10:00 AM

Remeber M3 LTW? I have several dealership couldn't sell them at all. The fact, One guy that I know bought a M3LTW for $32K. Would any dealership go for that options? YES, but the population of people like us is so small that it might not even be a concern for marketing. Trust me, I read BMW digest and Roundel all the time. Too much speculation on V8.

I am sure everyone has seen that Porsche 911GTR in the magazine or in autoshow. In order for Porsche to sell that car @ 350K each. They have to sell 800 cars a year in order to get even with production cost. There are only 1000+ of us that are on S2000online. That is less then 10% of US car sells. I don't think we can make a huge difference in Honda's decision.

I think all human being want something they can't get. Once we have it, we start to b*tch about it. Example: European always envy us to be able to buy E36M3 at such a low cost. even though, it means less horse power and different suspension. They don't care. But, in this side of the pond, we are complaining that BMW is not selling 321HP "Euro" version here in the US. And, still be able to keep the price arond $40K. That is just not going to happen. I think V8 is a nice addition to E46M3. But, I really don't know how that is going to affect the weight distribution of the car. As we already know E46M3 distribution is 53/47. With a V8? That number is not going to be anywhere close to 50/50.

I think this is a great topic to talk about. Unless there is a solid evidence of V8 going to sell in US. I am sure, PTG will be the first one to know.

Quick Reply: Anyone see the M3 with the M5 V8 at 24 hours of Daytona