Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

anyone regret having kids

Old 05-04-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.... he is not 2 1/2 I need to stop saying that...
He will be three on June 9th. My other little guy will be 1 in September.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Definitely do not regret it. My daughter is awesome and my 6-month-old son is a joy. Doesn't mean they're always enjoyable, only that the overall experience is very rewarding. Kids are amazing!

Now, sometimes I do regret other people having kids.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Former Moderator

I won't give you the standard "hard work, but worth it" answer. So far it's been a cakewalk.

My daughter is 5 and has been easy to parent up to this point. She's kind, loving and very sensitive. She does chores without complaining and has yet to throw a fit in a store when I tell her she can't have something.

She gets an allowance of $5 a week and I make her save $2 of that in a piggy bank she can't touch. Of the $3 she can spend a week she has managed to save even about $75 of that in the past year. With that money she can buy anything she wants without input from me or her mother. Of course she makes some dumb decisions but that's what it's about.

She goes upstairs at 8:15pm every night to go to bed. She gathers her things and goes upstairs without complaint. Our friends think we have some sort of mind control device implanted in her. Most mornings I wake her up at 8am to get her ready for school; she sleeps like a champ.

I'm a researcher, analyst and statistician while she will most definately be some sort of artist. She colors, draws, paints, sings and dances all the time. She's into gymnastics and swimming. Embracing her artsy side is my biggest challenge.

Are there times I wish I could golf 4 days a week like I used to? Yes.
Do I wish I could climb back on a big cubic inch chopper and go for a ride? Yes
Would I go back and do things differently? Hell no.

When she's a teen ager she'll get 10 feet of rope. Every time she messes up that rope gets a foot shorter. The last 3 feet are a noose. Those are the same rules I had and they worked quite well.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by dyhppy,May 4 2009, 03:08 AM
i hear the same thing, but wonder if parents feel it, but simply cannot admit what they are really thinking as it would make life stuck and unbearable.
Most people probably feel it's socially unacceptable to say they regret having children, even though they might have misgivings. I've worked with many parents and while every single one loved their children deeply, some regretted the circumstances (ie timing, who the other parent was, not having enough money to provide for them, being forced to keep an unwanted pregnancy, etc.). I think the vast majority of people see their children as blessings overall, but there are some who obviously regret it and it shows in the way they care for their children.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 kids. My son is 4 and a half and my daughter is almost 3. Of course they are a lot of work, but they are so fun. The things they say, and do. Watching them grow and learn. Teaching them about life. Snuggleing with them.

You have to make sure you are ready, and if you are questioning whether or not you want kids you probably are not ready.

It also depends on what you want out of life. I like a simple life. I like to go to work, go home hang out. If you want to travel the world, meet mysterious people etc. then kids may be not for you.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry16117216

Pics of my kids, for those interested.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:28 AM

I can't imagine a parent regretting having children. I've got a 2yo boy and can't imagine life without him. I love him more than life itself.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 AM

It was wonderful when they were at home, and it's wonderful now that they've moved out.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 AM

I regret having kids.

My wife was being nice and wanting kids as a means of control. While all the signs were there, I was young and stupid. When she had the three kids that she wanted she filed for divorce and a restraining order right away and said that I could stay "if I obeyed her." I do not know what lies she told in order to get a restraining order, but no one would tell me.

She got very mad at me for packing and leaving, but I told her with a divorce pending and a restraining order I could not stay for fear of going to jail. She repeated that if I were to obey her in all things, I could stay.

She spent the next 5 years trying to get me to "come back home," but never cancelled the restraining order. I paid child support but rarely got to see my children. When I complained about the lack of visitation I was ignored. Indiana is the absolute worst state to get divorced with children in. I still pay over HALF of my take home pay in child support and my youngest is 22 years old. I have not seen two of my three kids in over 4 years and they are not talking to me at all. Seems that they were told that the reason they never seen me is because I would call and cancel, which is, of course, another lie.

I deeply regret having kids, and if I had know how easy it is for a woman in Indiana to give a man a choice of "Slave or Financial Destitude" I would not have even gotten married, let alone have children.

I love my children, but I realized quite awhile ago that I really do not have any.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 AM

How do you get stuck still paying child support when your children are all adults?

Quick Reply: anyone regret having kids