Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Another "My Bad"...This Time With Turtle Wax

Old 03-03-2002, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "My Bad"...This Time With Turtle Wax

It rained all day here and by 8:00PM I was bored out of my gourd. I decided to go to the garage and spend some time with my car. I had just washed it the day before and it was perfectly clean. So I turned on the music and decided to wax it.

Hurricane (my son) keeps his Jeep car care products on the same shelf with mine. I reached for my "Wet Look" wax only to find that it was gone (that Jeep has been pretty shiney lately). So I decided to use some of his Turtle Wax. Not my first choice, but it was all I had.

With the Outerbanks Run coming up I wanted the car to REALLY shine so I applied the wax pretty liberaly. Starting on the hood I immediately noticed this Turtle Wax is a little different. "Smells kind'a like a public restroom air freshener" I thought. It was a fairly "soft" liquid, unlike any other liquid wax I've used. The hood was finished so I decided to put it on the front facia and fenders. TWO coats just to be sure!

When I finished I noticed that the wax on the hood was still wet. "Hmmmmmm, better check the drying time on this stuff" I thought. I raised the bottle and started reading from the top..."Turtle Wax Tire Wax, Polishes and....WAIT A MINUTE!!! Tire Wax?!!"

Holy CRAP!!

I'll NEVER get this stuff off!

How embarrising! I can't let JAGlady see this! She'll never stop making fun of me!

I frantically started wiping.....and wiping....and wiping!! Soon I had it all over my hands and arms, kind'a like a TAR BABY! And, of course, it was then that I heard the garage door open. *Gasp* JAGlady!!

I must have looked like the proverbial deer caught in headlights after running through the Soggy Bottom Mud Flats. She immediately knew something was up! "What's going on?"

I gulped and tried NOT to let my eyes dart over towards my car. ".......Oh, nothing, dear." I quickly walked to the rear of my car to head her off. "I'm just cleaning up."

"What's that awful smell?" she said.

"Just some hand cream." I replied with a cheesie smile on my face.

"Kinky!" she said, as she turned around and left.

WHEW! Spared once again!

Fearful that she would return, I decided there is nothing more I can do tonight. I'll have to sleep on this to come up with a solution. Hopefully when I go back to my garage in the morning jI won't find my paint lying in the floor!!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Old 03-03-2002, 04:24 AM

Use dishwashing liquid and water. Over and over and over again. I've never heard of tire wax, but it's probably just some dressing. You might want to invest in some glasses too

If you let the s2k sit out in the rain for long enough, it will probably wash out.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:28 AM

damn the jeep (if hurricane is 17 or 16 he is excused he gets blamed for too much already) I don't know if it will work for tire wax but DAWN takes off every other coat of polish known to man. I've heard people talk about using it to clean the car before their first coat of zaino. Dawn, just a thought.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:03 AM

Dawn should take it off...

Sorry but I'm still laughing! that sucks
Old 03-03-2002, 05:07 AM

yea, i couldn't remember which one. all of them are fine, dawn is better.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:55 PM

Well I FINALLY got all that CRAP off my car. What a mess!!! I used my regular car wash soap but had to wash it 4 times to get it all off. Of course, by that time I had washed the shine off too.

I decided to wax it and went out to buy some new wax. I found Zymol Cleaner and Wax.... at Walmart of all places! I decided to give it a try.

It went on realy fast and gave a superior shine to regular wax....almost Zaino-like in 1/3 as much time.

I'll have to see how long it lasts. With my luck, It'll get the ultimate test before long, I'm sure!!
Old 03-03-2002, 01:01 PM

Haha...i got a good chuckle out of the first post...

Good to hear you solved your problem.

Cheers,

Bryan
Old 03-03-2002, 01:06 PM

Mybad,

LMAO thats why you always want to read the labels before you applyh anything on your car
Old 03-03-2002, 01:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, there are other ways JAGlady can hear about this! Hmmmm, let me think!

Just kidding of course.

That reminds me of a day back with my old Black S2000. I was busily washing my S2000 and she was really shining up too! I reached for what I thought was the windex for the windshield and WRONG!!! It was the tire dressing! That stuff was everywhere! All in the dash and on the windshield. I had the top down too and the mist carried onto the paint! It was unbelievable and I literally walked away for about 5 minutes before returning to fix what I had done!

I cleaned it up really well and thought my wife would never figure it our but she did! Some of this "dressing" has gooped down a perfect little line in the windshield on the passenger's side. We were driving somewhere (can't remember where) and she looked at the windshield funny and glided her finger across the inside of the windshield. She rubbed it between her two fingers and could smell the strong chemical. She then looked right at me and said, "did you spray tire gloss on the windshield?!"

Wives are awesome!
Old 03-03-2002, 01:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to REVIEW. . .

This is Tire Gloss (aka Tire Wax)

. . .and this is Car Wax

Although, honestly. . .you should be using ZAINO on your baby! For obvious reasons!!!

Quick Reply: Another "My Bad"...This Time With Turtle Wax