Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

am i the only one who knows that the

Old 08-15-2007 | 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Aug 15 2007, 08:17 AM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves BY FAR. I have gotten very, very good at coming within 6 inches of clipping cars as I pass their a** while they chill in the left lane. About 10% of the time I'll get a hand gesture or headlight flash.

Another technique I've started employing to 'educate' drivers on the rudeness of cruising in the left lane is by flipping on my right turn signal as I pass them and cut back in front of them. I hope it makes them think for 2 seconds on why I have my right turn signal on. <---"Oh, I'm a retard and shouldn't be driving slow in the left lane." I'm sure most of the people don't get it or else they wouldn't be in the left lane in the first place.
you sir are a good driver
Old 08-15-2007 | 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As noted by several people the left lane for passing is only on certain roads and is noted by a sign.

Talk to a cop or a judge and you will find that in no state is normal speed above the posted limit. Texas' speed limit used to be posted speed or a reasonable speed for the roads and conditions. I successfully got out of a 70 mph ticket on a 40 mph service road because it was 2 a.m. That won't fly anymore.

When I am stopped for speeding and the officer asks me how fast I was going I say "A safe and reasonable speed for the conditions". NEVER give the officer a speed. If you admit to going over the speed limit by even a small amount the judge will use your admission to make sure he doesn't dismiss the ticket.

We are still way off track. The original poster wanted everyone to move out of his way so he could more efficiently speed. He felt that it was the duty of everyone to move out of his way. Although it is customary for many people to do so, it is in no way incumbent upon an individual to comply and you can't get mad at other people for obeying the law.

As others have noted, do your fast and dangerous driving on the track, but on the streets please try not to be a danger.

I just looked up and one of those "damn" ads that are on the site is TRAFFIC LAWS BY STATE www.DMV.org/texas. I guess you could put your state there and get more info.
Old 08-15-2007 | 07:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Aug 15 2007, 06:13 PM
Are you serious, Mark? I've been doing the smack down on vehicles cruising in the left lane on 114 and other major roads here in DFW for years now.

If it were true, it would help to resolve some of my angst as I wouldn't feel as compelled to take the law into my own hands when people are impeding the flow of traffic in the left lane on 3 or more lane roads.
All true!

[QUOTE]
Old 08-16-2007 | 04:18 AM

[QUOTE=Wildncrazy,Aug 15 2007, 06:25 PM] As noted by several people the left lane for passing is only on certain roads and is noted by a sign.

Talk to a cop or a judge and you will find that in no state is normal speed above the posted limit.
Old 08-16-2007 | 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Drivers who think like Wildncrazy ( there are far too many) are the number one cause of road rage in the U.S. I think some posts in this thread are good evidence of that!

It doesn't matter if you are going the speed limit in the left lane. If someone wants to pass you, you are obligated to move over and let them pass. It is not your job to police them and enforce the speed limit by not allowing them to pass. If you want to go 65 in a 65, great. Nobody is stopping you. You can do it all day long in the right lane. But if you think you can let people bunch up behind you in the left lane because it is your God-given right to go 65 all day long in the left lane, you are wrong. The law has been pointed out to you in this thread many times. You won't post links to examples of law backing up your claim because there are none. I don't know why I'm wasting my time. You'll never get it. You'll probably just look on and wonder why all these stupid people are passing you on the right while honking and giving you the finger. After all, you're going the speed limit, right?
Old 08-16-2007 | 11:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Station,Aug 16 2007, 10:59 AM
Drivers who think like Wildncrazy ( there are far too many) are the number one cause of road rage in the U.S. I think some posts in this thread are good evidence of that!
That and cutting people off.
Old 08-16-2007 | 11:21 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

We are still way off track. The original poster wanted everyone to move out of his way so he could more efficiently speed. He felt that it was the duty of everyone to move out of his way. Although it is customary for many people to do so, it is in no way incumbent upon an individual to comply and you can't get mad at other people for obeying the law.

As others have noted, do your fast and dangerous driving on the track, but on the streets please try not to be a danger.
Laws aside, holding up faster traffic leads to a slew of problems on the roads, including congestion and tailgating. The problem is people don't realize they are holding up traffic - they aren't paying attention to the road at all, and that's dangerous.

People need to stop worrying so much about other drivers speeding and get out of the way, into the safer lanes closer to the shoulder I should add. No one should be in the left lane more than needed no matter what speed they go.

Also, one shouldn't do any dangerous driving on a track, thats not what they are for. You should always drive responsibly, but that doesn't mean you can't drive fast. Speed is not equal to reckless driving - its context dependent.
Old 08-16-2007 | 11:28 AM
Banned

/rant on

What about if I'm going 80 in the fast lane and there's a car going 90 flying up behind me. They start flashing their lights and crap, and I give them a nice hand gesture, obviously.

There's a lot of assholes who think the left lane is a free for all lane. Guess what, it's not. If I'm already speeding and you take it upon yourself to fly up on my bumper acting like you own the road, I'm going to drop it into 3rd gear and get on your ass and flash my lights while my hand is out the window flipping you off. Then I'll pass your ass, get in front of you, and slow down to 40 and not allow you to pass while I throw pennies out of my car trying to ruin your paint job. You better hope to god I don't have a bottle or can of some sort, because I will aim it at your windshield.

I've actually run a truck off the road for doing shit like this. And it was a truck with three women in it. I commute 120 miles a day for work, I don't need to put up with your shit while I'm just trying to get home. If you want to go faster than me, that's your business. I'm sorry I'm "holding up traffic" WHILE breaking the law. What makes you so much of a superior person that you can dictate what lane I drive in? If everybody went the speed limit, we wouldn't have this problem, would we?

/rant off
Old 08-16-2007 | 11:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GroovyNeilNeil,Aug 16 2007, 11:28 AM
/rant on

What about if I'm going 80 in the fast lane and there's a car going 90 flying up behind me. They start flashing their lights and crap, and I give them a nice hand gesture, obviously.

There's a lot of assholes who think the left lane is a free for all lane. Guess what, it's not. If I'm already speeding and you take it upon yourself to fly up on my bumper acting like you own the road, I'm going to drop it into 3rd gear and get on your ass and flash my lights while my hand is out the window flipping you off. Then I'll pass your ass, get in front of you, and slow down to 40 and not allow you to pass while I throw pennies out of my car trying to ruin your paint job. You better hope to god I don't have a bottle or can of some sort, because I will aim it at your windshield.

I've actually run a truck off the road for doing shit like this. And it was a truck with three women in it. I commute 120 miles a day for work, I don't need to put up with your shit while I'm just trying to get home. If you want to go faster than me, that's your business. I'm sorry I'm "holding up traffic" WHILE breaking the law. What makes you so much of a superior person that you can dictate what lane I drive in? If everybody went the speed limit, we wouldn't have this problem, would we?

/rant off
Instead of doing all that, why not be aware of the vehicle closing in on you and move over to the right so that it can pass safely and then go back to the left lane? Seems safer to me.
Old 08-16-2007 | 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by GroovyNeilNeil,Aug 16 2007, 11:28 AM
/rant on

/rant off
i agree that it is annoying when people come up behind you honking and flashing their lights. i don't necessarily condone your measures of revenge;it's certainly nothing i would do. on the other hand, if you're doing 80 in the left lane, that's awesome! someone has gotten out of your way! if someone comes up behind you doing 90, don't you owe him the same courtesy? if you're checking your rearview every 7 seconds like we all ought to (obviously no one does that, but it should be a habit to regularly check your mirrors), then you see him in plenty of time to get over so he doesn't have to swerve around you and/or flash and honk. think about it, you don't know why the guy's speeding; odds are he just thinks he owns the road, but if your wife is pregnant and needs to be at the hospital 10 minutes ago, don't you want to be able to turn on your hazards, speed, and have people accommodate you? i know i do. it seems like some people are losing sight of what's important here. the reason i started this rant, and the reason this kind of stuff pisses me off is because it's a lack of courtesy. if i hold the door open for someone and they walk through without so much as acknowledging me, yeah that annoys me. if someone holds a door for you and i'm behind you and you let it swing shut never putting a hand on it, that's annoying. it's about having courtesy. this scenario was just the latest thing to chap my hide, so it's what came out.

Quick Reply: am i the only one who knows that the