Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

am i the only one who knows that the

Old 08-15-2007 | 08:17 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

This is one of my biggest pet peeves BY FAR. I have gotten very, very good at coming within 6 inches of clipping cars as I pass their a** while they chill in the left lane. About 10% of the time I'll get a hand gesture or headlight flash.

Another technique I've started employing to 'educate' drivers on the rudeness of cruising in the left lane is by flipping on my right turn signal as I pass them and cut back in front of them. I hope it makes them think for 2 seconds on why I have my right turn signal on. <---"Oh, I'm a retard and shouldn't be driving slow in the left lane." I'm sure most of the people don't get it or else they wouldn't be in the left lane in the first place.
Old 08-15-2007 | 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Aug 15 2007, 08:17 AM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves BY FAR. I have gotten very, very good at coming within 6 inches of clipping cars as I pass their a** while they chill in the left lane. About 10% of the time I'll get a hand gesture or headlight flash.

Another technique I've started employing to 'educate' drivers on the rudeness of cruising in the left lane is by flipping on my right turn signal as I pass them and cut back in front of them. I hope it makes them think for 2 seconds on why I have my right turn signal on. <---"Oh, I'm a retard and shouldn't be driving slow in the left lane." I'm sure most of the people don't get it or else they wouldn't be in the left lane in the first place.
LOL!! A driver after my own heart.

Dude, I employ the NASCAR technique you speak of as well and give the cold stare as I ride by.

Instead of the turn signal though....I spray them with washer fluid as soon as I get in front (Only if my car hasn't been washed).
Old 08-15-2007 | 08:50 AM
jah

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Aug 15 2007, 06:28 AM
Actually there is no "fast" lane and the left lane is not for passing.

You need to re-read your driver's handbook.
correct there is no fast lane but still the left lane is no place to spend an extended length of time. many states are passing laws to this effect so everyone should have personal awareness here. maybe you have the life bandwidth that you can remain ignorant.

i ride to work, the bike is capable of doing 2-3 X the posted, would like to wind it up for at least 15seconds per day on an open road.
Old 08-15-2007 | 08:54 AM
15 Year Member

Received 247 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by GPMike,Aug 15 2007, 12:48 PM
and give the cold stare as I ride by.
The ol' stink eye.
Old 08-15-2007 | 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter how much your argue on the forum, how much you want it to be so or how you interpret it, it doesn't change anything. Discuss this with a cop and see how far you get.

The normal speed is the posted limit or lower (depending upon the conditions). The is never considered to be higher than the posted speed as that would be condoning speeding.

And in rare occassions the left left lane is legally the passing lane. Most notably on interstates to equalize road wear.

But as to the question of the original poster, asking "am i the only who knows . . ." the answer is still the speed limit is the same for all lanes of traffic and under normal conditions the left lane isn't just for passing. You need to accomodate the legal drivers as much as you want them to accomodate you.
Old 08-15-2007 | 09:05 AM

i think the bottom line is thqat we all adhere to the same "courtesy" principle...if your holding up traffic in the left lane, just change lanes. no harm - no foul.

i usuaqlly try to "acknowledge" those that move outta the way ( hazard light or a "peace" sign....
Old 08-15-2007 | 09:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The left lane is for passing and you should move over if someone faster than you is approaching.

In California there is a law that says if traffic is going a certain speed you can legally maintain that speed even if it is above the limit.

You are right there is no higher speed limit in any lane, but the left lane is the passing lane.
Old 08-15-2007 | 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000raj,Aug 15 2007, 11:07 AM

You are right there is no higher speed limit in any lane, but the left lane is the passing lane.
It isn't legally the passing lane except in posted instances but customarily SOME people think of it as the passing lane. Therein is the problem.

I have always used the left lane as my own private fast track but as I just spent $138 plus the cost of the course to learn THERE IS NO LEGAL FAST LANE OR PASSING LANE.

If you use it as such then there is no reason to get mad at the people following the law.
Old 08-15-2007 | 09:14 AM
Former Moderator

Again, it is the passing lane.

You can't legally exceed the speed limit in that lane, but if someone is going faster than you you should get over. You can get ticketed actually for passing on the right.

Check out left lane law in Illinios
Old 08-15-2007 | 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by GPMike,Aug 15 2007, 12:48 PM
Instead of the turn signal though....I spray them with washer fluid as soon as I get in front (Only if my car hasn't been washed).
It's like the golden shower of driving

Quick Reply: am i the only one who knows that the