Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

is allowing your kids to believe in santa...

Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ENTHRALLED,Dec 19 2006, 08:25 PM
what next.....gonna tell your kids the tooth fairy isn't real...?I say let them believe until they get to a certain age and realize it for themselfs.
i was thinking the easter bunny should be the next victim...
Old 12-19-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

god bad memories...
Old 12-20-2006, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, it wasn't my intention to upset anyone, and I would agree that there IS a difference between telling your kids something you know to be false (Santa) and something you believe to be true, but possibly not. (God)

I'm no expert, but doesn't Christian doctrine purport that Christmas is Jesus' birthday? I believe this has been almost universally proven to be false. So it's kind of a lie to tell the kiddies that Christmas is Jesus' birthday, right?

In any case, my 3.5 year old and I were discussing Christmas last night. She said, "Santa is bringing me presents." I replied, "Well, mommy and daddy will give you some presents, too."

She then said, "No dad, listen to me, I will tell you the real truth: Santa brings the presents." So who am I to argue?

Kids really say some funny things...
Old 12-20-2006, 07:12 PM

If kids dream up things all on their own, that's fine until a certain age. I would definitely not provoke such thoughts. I never believed in santa as a child, and my kids probably won't either.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hootsama,Dec 20 2006, 07:05 AM
I'm no expert, but doesn't Christian doctrine purport that Christmas is Jesus' birthday?
No.

There is no known record of the date of Jesus' birth, but it is generally agree that it was sometime in the Spring. Chirstmas is named for and celebrated by Christians for Jesus' birth, but its date comes from pagan - Druid, I think - celebrations. Early Christians who wanted to proselytize pagans frequently adopted pagan rituals - to make the transition for the newbies easier - and introduced Christian themes into them.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by vtec9,Dec 19 2006, 07:07 AM
yup according to most religions, there are probably 3 billion people in the world that lie to their kids every day!
+1 on that boat.

I won't even get started about religion, but... It's amazing how many things people choose to ignore/overlook out of fear. flame suit on. It may just be my perception, but it seems people are getting more and more away from religion over time.

I would not argue that religion does a lot of good for people, but I personally can't overlook the false ideals. I don't mean this towards any particular religion, just all of them.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Amit,Dec 20 2006, 08:12 PM
If kids dream up things all on their own, that's fine until a certain age. I would definitely not provoke such thoughts. I never believed in santa as a child, and my kids probably won't either.
but kids don't dream santa up on their own. it is somehow passed on, either through tv, stories/books, parents, other kids, etc.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 AM

Jesus' birthday is celebrated on Christmas, but it didn't happen on Christmas. Ever waited till Saturday to have a party even though the occasion is on a Tuesday? It's kinda like that, just on a different scale.

I got into the biggest argument with my former boss about the Immaculate Conception. After 10+ years of Catholic school under my belt he still wouldn't back down. I just said, "Oh, I thought it was something else" and walked away. It's very hard to back down from an argument where you are 100% sure.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:28 AM

Here is some timely advice, care of Newsweek:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16312967/site/newsweek/
Old 12-21-2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Dec 21 2006, 12:23 AM
but kids don't dream santa up on their own. it is somehow passed on, either through tv, stories/books, parents, other kids, etc.
True, I meant imaginative things in general not just santa. I as a parent figure though would not provoke it, and if they asked me I would try to be as honest as possible without doing damage.

Quick Reply: is allowing your kids to believe in santa...