Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

absolute moronic fookin idiot drivers

Old 01-02-2006 | 12:42 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend Alain in NC sent me this today:

THE AMERICAN DRIVER
Interesting comments from Peter Egan ( Road & Track )

when our motorcycle came over the rise and around the corner, I laughed out loud for a brief moment, then put my head down on the gas tank in the standard gesture of de
Old 01-02-2006 | 03:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to agree with the Craigslist poster (except for his spelling). I run into these types of people EVERY FUGGIN DAY and it just keeps pissing me off.

What bugs me more than the left lane hogs who drive 40 in a 65 zone is the guy who piddles along until I try to pass him. All of a sudden, at the EXACT same second I change lanes, he decides that's the EXACT second to changes lanes too...right in front of me. When I try to pass again, he will either jump in front of me again or he'll speed waaaaay up to keep me from getting in front of him.

I just don't get it. Anyone have an answer?

Warren
Old 01-02-2006 | 04:03 PM

I try to be proactive and communicate my intentions VERY clearly to other drivers. If someone is sitting in the left lane for no reason, come up behind them and flash your lights a few times. Move over in the lane a bit so that you are in both their side and rear-view mirrors. Don't tailgate, but don't sit passively behind them and look like you just want to cruise at their speed.
Old 01-03-2006 | 08:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Nishant,Nov 29 2005, 09:53 AM
I think we should have harder driving tests, the road tests. When I took my test, all I had to do was parallel park and drive around the parking center complex (2 left's, 3 right's). Its so basic. I passed the test with only about 10hrs sitting behind the wheel. Could I drive? I could get around but I do not feel I was a good/safe driver. It took me an addition 3-4 months of daily driving to get where I felt I was a good driver.

Now lets take some European countries, their road tests consist of parallel parking, driving in the city, highway driving, slalom (spelling?), some additional cone maneuvering. You would think to pass all that, you need to be a better driver. Now look at their accident rates, its less than 10% of ours. I know the number of cars on the road plays a factor as well. But look at how low it is. I think we need better driver training.
Not only in European countries - try Canada.

I lived on the east coast in Canada when I got my license. I had to pass two parking tests and "survive" the small private test area before they'd even let me on the road. Then, I had to do city driving and highway driving with normal traffic. I didn't have to do a slalom, though.
Old 01-03-2006 | 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love looking at the "Best of Craigslist" section they have. It is always good for a laugh (or 12)
Old 01-03-2006 | 04:00 PM

love that article by egan
Old 01-04-2006 | 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Egan got it exactly right.

As a person who learned to drive in Ireland, with literally perhaps one cop sighting every six months, I can see exactly where he's coming from.

When I first came to the US, I couldn't believe the abysmal level of driving, and that US drivers are such a huge source of revenue to states and towns courtesy of their jackbooted tax-collectors with guns.

I don't see it changing. What would all the cops and clerical people do if speed limits were raised to real-life levels?