New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Yet ANOTHER UPSTATE chat thread!

Old 02-15-2015, 06:56 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

NSX at LeMans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJTthRbqDBw

that sound
Old 02-15-2015, 08:27 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Vettel drives the Ferrari FXX K at Fiorano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXbdcdxv93c
Old 02-16-2015, 04:50 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Where do you guys go to see the snowfall totals for the season?

The snow in my yard away from shoveling areas has to be at least 3-4'.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:15 AM

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
Where do you guys go to see the snowfall totals for the season?

The snow in my yard away from shoveling areas has to be at least 3-4'.
I usually go to the weather underground website, click on the almanac, and check out the 'Since July 1 Snowfall' totals.

However, I tried it with your address, and it doesn't show that info. I think they usually take the readings from local airports, so you might try something near an airport in your area to get a measurement.

Right now, Buffalo is sitting on 96.3" of snow for the season, as measured at the airport. The snow depth is rated at 26", but I can attest to it being deeper than that. I had to trudge around the side of the house yesterday to knock some ice off the rain gutters, and the snow was waist-deep.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Well, I think we all need to learn the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEbOL09ACww
Old 02-16-2015, 05:14 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ The US has a team. Did not qualify for the World Cup this time though. The Canadians also did not make it this year. Ireland though has plenty of character. I hope they'll make it to the group stages

Lets move conversations to the cricket thread, just in case I discuss outcomes and then get flamed for revealing the result

United States National Cricket Team
Old 02-16-2015, 05:57 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I was at the Subaru dealer this AM. Took JJ's car in for a recall related to brakes. While I was waiting I asked if they had a WRX I could see and maybe test drive. They called a sales guy who said they did not have any WRXs on the lot. I wouldn't blame him it was -7 outside and felt much colder. I told him I just checked their inventory and it showed they had 7 cars on the lot, and having purchased a car from them, I expected a better reply. So he dragged his feet for a bit and then said they had a car in the back that had just been delivered and said he would get it for me. I said I'd go with him.

The car was red and brand new. It still had protective stickers on the hood and trunk and on the wheels. It had boxes on the rear seat. Looked at the window sticker and realized it was the options the car was ordered with - short throw shifter, performance exhaust and other things of the nature. So they start the car up and wait for the ice to thaw. I get in and check seat position. This was the base model sans the moon roof, so it had plenty of headroom for my helmet (unlike the BRZ that I also sat in inside the dealership). There was check engine light flashing and I pointed it out to the sales guy. He said the car had not been prepped yet for test drives, but that we should be ok. I was not too sure.

Anyways, after some time, we get in the car to drive it out. I put it in first and get the car moving but its very rough and when I put it in second it stalls. The car had no grip at all as I pulled it out of the lot and inched it towards the front of the building. So the sales guy then says, the grip is bad, let me check with my manager and ask if he is really sure he wants me to test drive the car. After he left, I got out of the car and looked at the tires. Dunlop Sport Max tires in a size 234-45-17. No wonder there was no damn grip. It was like driving on pucks. In any case the sales guy, comes back and says, they'd really like it if I come back when the weather is better to test drive the car. I could have gotten it out of the lot and the roads were fine, but I too did not feel like risking it. I mean after all if I'd caused damage, it was going to be a loss for the dealership. So I drove it back and reversed it into its spot. The spot was very tight, so having the rear view camera helped.

The car looks good on paper. At around 3200 lbs it is about 400 lbs heavier than my Civic Si. But it looks like a great car to drive and the interior by Subaru standards was rather good. The seats were supportive and I found a good driving position.

Of late, driving the Impreza we own a few times a week I am having fun when there is snow on the ground. Its nice to kick the tail out and stay on the gas as I countersteer. Of course all of this is on empty parking lots and at very low speeds. That got me thinking about the WRX. I see that the new one also comes with a CVT. That could bode well with JJ and I sharing the car.

If I got it, I think I'd want to get it in the WR Blue color, with the exhaust, wheels and short shifter kit. But that and sundry little accessories bumps the MSRP up to $30K. I'll be driving the Si tomorrow and no doubt once I get to work, I will wonder whether I really will enjoy a WRX.

In any case, the WRX is one of the cars on my radar. It has decent performance and it looks like it can be a decent car to drive daily and possibly also make for a good track car. Power output is good with around 268 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque available at 2000 RPM. The only drawbacks (in my mind) is that it has a brake-operated torque vectoring system in place of a proper differential and unlike the STI, you cannot adjust the differential to direct more power to the rear wheels. Then there is the price. Add on a few accessories to the base model and you will quickly be looking at a figures in the high $20K's inching close to $30K.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:34 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Well, I think we all need to learn the game.
Speaking of the game....anyone recognize the men in white

http://raceweeklondon.com/about-race...cricket-match/
Old 02-16-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Front row: Scheckter, Bell, Lauda, Stewart, Peterson, ?, ?
Top row: Ken Tyrell, ?, ?, Hailwood, Hunt, Hill, ?, ?, ?, ?
Old 02-17-2015, 01:44 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Taking the WRX for a "test drive" was a great way to kill time while JJ's car was being serviced.
Levi

Quick Reply: Yet ANOTHER UPSTATE chat thread!