New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Yet ANOTHER UPSTATE chat thread!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
A list of all cars available with an MT in the United States

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/eve...229050/+orlove

Only 5 mid-size cars - I think the Accord may be the coupe

Buick Regal
Honda Accord
Mazda 6
VW Passat
VW CC

and trucks

Chevrolet/GMC Colorado/Canyon
Dodge Ram Heavy Duty
Nissan Frontier
Toyota Tacoma
Sad but they market to the masses. That is where the money is. Even in the EU where manuals are available in nearly everything there are more and more auto trans. One good friend over here just purchased a new CRV with auto trans and they come with manual. They even have diesel as an option. BTW diesel or gas engine the price of purchase is the same. The extra cost of diesel cars is the yearly road tax but diesel is cheaper than gas so if you have to drive a lot in a year the cost per Km is cheaper.
Full size pickup, in my opinion, an auto trans is the best way to go especially if you intend to tow. If I ever need another full size pickup it will for sure have an auto trans
Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Riche
Originally Posted by A 2' timestamp='1424910321' post='23519414
^ They said if I did not have the receipt to go to the inspection station and get another and fax it to their number. Who even uses fax in this day and age? So much for the DMV claims of modernization. Their service is still stuck in the stone ages. Its a wonder they even upgraded their mainframe system so that they could spell out my full name and not just my last name and initials.
Aashish
Try asking the inspection station to do the fax/communication with DMV. It is their responsibility
The lack of modernization in government only gets worse as you filter down to the local level. Especially in the poorer rural areas.
Thanks Rich. Did not think of that. Called them and they claim to have new systems that probably don't have the data from when I had the inspection done. I cannot believe they do not have access to or don't keep that data. How else do they get my info for emailing their coupons.

In any case, I politely explained my situation to the guy that answered the phone. He said he'd check and get back to me by the end of the day.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Quiet here today, must be everyone is at the go-kart track/bar.
Levi
Old 02-28-2015, 01:15 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Quiet here today, must be everyone is at the go-kart track/bar.
Levi
not everyone. Tiny contingent, but it appears everyone had a good time.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:09 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I'm horrified

Found this via the status updates on the forum index - http://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394776

Old 02-28-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
A list of all cars available with an MT in the United States
You know we're in the end-times when you can buy a Buick Regal with a proper transmission but a 991 GT3 is automatic only.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:59 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ hahaha....so true
Old 02-28-2015, 04:59 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdMpNDyk3Y
Old 03-01-2015, 05:05 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
I'm horrified

Found this via the status updates on the forum index - http://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394776

Under Mayors Lindsey and Dinkins, you would see that all the time on the West Side Highway (and perhaps elsewhere)! If you broke down and had to leave your car, or even if you got a flat tire, you had about 3 minutes before the thugs would steal your tires and strip your car. Tires were just for amateurs. Stripped out engines were also common. If you wanted to get rid of a junker, you just parked it along the highway, took off your plates and walked away. Eventually the city would haul away the frame. I was always afraid to drive into New York City for fear of having my car completely stripped if I broke down.

Rudy Guliani put an end to that, as well as the squeegymen who threatened to break your antenna or mirror off every time you exited the highway unless you gave them a few bucks.

I think When Rudy called them quality of life crimes. How the critics howled when he said he was going to clean up that stuff.

Thankfully Rudy and his police department prevailed and New York is a much better place as a result.

Though, who knows with DiBlazio.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Nice column by Chris Harris - Why Every Car Brand Is Obsessed With Building Every Kind Of Car

http://jalopnik.com/why-every-car-br...kin-1688464984

In this new world the pressures of global success have manifested themselves as a quest for volume and this means everyone has to do everything. Porsche has to make SUVs and BMW has to make front-wheel-drive hatchbacks and Ferrari has to sell T-shirts. And, in the most part, I don't like the world of the generalist.

This can partly be attributed to a personal aversion to generalists – because the ultimate expression of such a creature is a politician, and I don't much like them. It's a terribly over-used idiom, but being jack-of-all-trades and master of none is a most depressing epitaph. Many car companies are being sucked into this potentially dangerous vortex of trying being everything to everyone.

Quick Reply: Yet ANOTHER UPSTATE chat thread!