New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Who here is good with car audio

Old 07-05-2012, 05:01 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark355
I'm driving around with my stereo gutted for now haha.
I was gonna say pics or it did not happen, then realized you'd already posted pics

Hard to believe you are driving around like that though
Old 07-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Have the day off so I finished this up today. The adapter was too big to fit anywhere inside the dash with it's bulky plastic cover so I took it off. The circuitry is exposed but whole area is enclosed with the radio door so I figure it'll be ok. The adapter sits toward the passenger side underneath the front of the headunit near the cables for the SRS module. I removed a piece of plastic on the very bottom of the trim so I could sneak the audio cable underneath the vinyl console cover toward the sliding console door.

With the center console off, I drilled a hole for the audio cable (location indicated by the pencil haha). Also lined the inside of it with rubber mesh padding so it's a friendly place for my MP3 player and cell.

Everything back together!

Extremely happy with how this turned out. Adapter came with everything I needed including a long 5 foot audio cable that still has plenty of slack which can be pulled through the center console if needed. Drop the MP3 player into the console, close the sliding door, and there's no sign that anything has been meddled with. I retain my dash controls and the sound quality is great also. I know the OEM headunit is unpopular, but my car has speakers in the roll hoops which add a little power--the earlier cars don't have 'em.

Thanks everyone for the advice, especially Jake who offered a hand if I got stuck.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

nice touch with the mesh padding, looks great
Old 07-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Community Organizer

nice touch with the mesh padding, looks great
Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake...If you have some extra time I have a big mess of wires on my hand..I have some pics posted on my Thread...any help (or a lot of help.LOL) would be greatly appreciated!! Joe

Mark...Nice work..look good!!!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 AM
Community Organizer

Where is your thread? I can help ya
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

How the heck did you get the audio cable through the transmission tunnel and up back behind the receiver in the dash?

I must've tried at least 20 times with my fish wire to get through there and never had any luck. So I just ran my mp3 cable to the passenger cargo pocket.

I'd really like to get the mp3 cable up into the secret compartment someday...
Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
How the heck did you get the audio cable through the transmission tunnel and up back behind the receiver in the dash?

I must've tried at least 20 times with my fish wire to get through there and never had any luck. So I just ran my mp3 cable to the passenger cargo pocket.

I'd really like to get the mp3 cable up into the secret compartment someday...
just pull out the foam around the shifter and it's really easy
Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
I worked the other way--from the dash down through the transmission tunnel. I didn't want any visible wires outside of the console compartment so the audio cable goes from the adapter underneath the headunit, underneath the vinyl console cover (had to clip a piece of plastic trim from the bottom for clearance), alongside the shifter but still underneath the vinyl, and then routed above the rear of the shifter foam and down into the handbrake area via one of the holes in the tunnel. I never removed the foam because I found it pretty easy to work around. The vinyl is tight below the radio and that was the hardest part to route through.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my MP3 connection wiring today!! Who wants to remove, connect up, and reinstall my radio?

There is money in this offering

Doesn't need to be any particular location - it just needs to connect to my iPhone and play my music without using the FM Radio transmitter that I have been using since 2006

Quick Reply: Who here is good with car audio