New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Who here is good with car audio

Old 07-04-2012, 03:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Where did you hide it?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Behind the radio.. It's tight, but it fits.. I ran the cable end that plugs into the iPod around back and it sits in the little mesh pocket on the passenger side.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I have no experience using any adapter to change the factory cd changer input into an mp3 input. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

I know it looks like a tight fit back there behind the HU, but you should be able to cram it all in there behind it. There is more room there than you think, and the wiring has some give to it.

As far as running the cable to connect to to your mp3 player, I just ran mine around the passenger side and keep it in the cargo net there. I was planning on running it all the way into the secret compartment, but I never was able to fish the wiring through the transmission tunnel.

Be careful, this is a slippery slope you're going down. Soon you'll want better speakers, and then comes a new HU, and an amp...
Old 07-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I think I'm late to the party here but I'm a huge audio guy. Been building custom subwoofer enclosures and doing fiberglass work for 10 years on the side. Im very well known in the subaru community for my custom fit enclosures. If you need any help, just give me a shout, I'm not far from you. I think you'll be fine with this though, it's very simple and straight forward.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Interested:
Jake, I really don't use my car audio... in fact, the code request has probably been there for more than a year or two.
I would like to be able to add my iPhone so when I get a call, I can use the iPhone microphone, but have the caller come through the car speakers. Any thoughts?
Old 07-05-2012, 04:50 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like you would want a bluetooth kit to pair with the audio system in the car. Typically they have external mics you can run, and should have supplied wiring harnesses you can use to tap into the car's speakers.

A quick look around yielded me this for the wiring harness: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-BT-1721A.html, but it looks like the related kit to go with it is out of stock: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...100-BLACK.html

Whether or not you would have to use the external mic, I'm not sure, nor do I have any experience with how good or bad a setup like this is.

I will say this: Sarah's car does have built in bluetooth capability, and she hates it. It has issues taking up to 30 seconds to pair with the phone and is generally very flakey. Actually, just about every bluetooth device I've ever used is flakey.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Sounds like you would want a bluetooth kit to pair with the audio system in the car. Typically they have external mics you can run, and should have supplied wiring harnesses you can use to tap into the car's speakers.

A quick look around yielded me this for the wiring harness: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-BT-1721A.html, but it looks like the related kit to go with it is out of stock: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...100-BLACK.html

Whether or not you would have to use the external mic, I'm not sure, nor do I have any experience with how good or bad a setup like this is.

I will say this: Sarah's car does have built in bluetooth capability, and she hates it. It has issues taking up to 30 seconds to pair with the phone and is generally very flakey. Actually, just about every bluetooth device I've ever used is flakey.
Thanks Marc:
I really don't like bluetooth too much either. It worked well in the VW's, but the Audi S4 and A8 I had is was terrible.
I'd just like to be plumbed into the cars speakers so I can hear the caller, but I don't want to do any soldering...
Old 07-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

you're going to need to go with bluetooth for that. Or if you have a deck with an aux input it'll put the callers voice through the speakers and you can talk through the mic on the phone. Not the most convenient with a long cord runnign to the phone though
Old 07-05-2012, 05:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, I'm in the same predicament with my new Pilot. I love being able to hook up my phone and play music, I'm used to it from my other cars (S2000 included). I too found the GROM adapter when searching recently, it seems to be a popular and well working device.

I am however handy with audio, just have to make up my mind. As of right now I'm thinking about changing out the HU to one with a 3.5mm jack in the front, and while at it getting a unit that plays DVDs so I can hook up a monitor for the kids in the back. Decisions, decisions....

-Mike
Old 07-05-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks everybody. The adapter should be here next week. I'll give Jake a shout if I run into trouble. I'm driving around with my stereo gutted for now haha.

Quick Reply: Who here is good with car audio