New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

When is everyone pulling the S back out?!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:20 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Originally Posted by aashish2' timestamp='1302792161' post='20466152
[quote name='Tadashi' timestamp='1302791140' post='20466084']

or maybe next time Tom works at Formula H on a Saturday I can beg some garage time...
so you can detail the car within the air conditioned confines of Formula H

BTW, Si warranty is up in a months time. May just bring the car to FH for scheduled maintenance going forward. That way I get to hang out with you and Tom too
You are going to bleed your own brakes, but pay someone to do scheduled maintenance?
[/quote]

stuff like valve adjustments and work that will require more tools and mechanical capabilities that I can do. It took me 4 hours to swap wheels. So you can imagine my predicament. As and when I bleed brakes, it may be a full 8-10 hours before I'm done
Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
It took me 4 hours to swap wheels. So you can imagine my predicament. As and when I bleed brakes, it may be a full 8-10 hours before I'm done
Stick with it grasshopper.

I think I could pull all 4 wheels, put the car on stands, bleed the brakes, and put the wheels back on in under 1 hour.

At an autocross, I can do a full tire and wheel replacement in about 10 minutes.

Of course, a floor jack and a cordless impact wrench help.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:04 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ will do Mark

At worst, I will have to call AAA and have them tow the car to Keeler Honda
Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Ash, much ad I love ya, if it took that long to swap wheels, you shouldn't be bleeding your brakes.
Drive on over and we'll do it together...
JB
Old 04-14-2011, 02:28 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by S2KNFR
Ash, much ad I love ya, if it took that long to swap wheels, you shouldn't be bleeding your brakes.
Drive on over and we'll do it together...
JB
Ha! I did LOL. Thanks for that and the offer Jeff. I very much appreciate it.

Reason it took that long is, I had to:

1. Move one car out of garage and line up the other
2. Get the jack stands out of the box and assemble them
3. Refer to manual and online instructions multiple time to ensure I had the right jacking point and the right place to position jack stands.
4. Jack up front of car from both sides and get jack stands under. CHocked the rear wheels prior to it.
5. Replace tires, tighten lug nuts and drop the car only to realize that one tire was flat (the only one on which I did not check tire pressure)
6. Spend 30 minutes wondering whether I must go out and buy a tire pump that plugs into the cars cig lighter socket or swap back to snows or go to RS-2's.
7. Decided to just put RS-2's on, so repeat the process for the front again.
8. RS-2's done, Used the rear jacking point (tow hook) on Si to raise the car. My low profile floor jack does not raise the car high enough to insert jack stands.
9. Lower the car and jack up each side separately, Get jack stands in, and replace the tires.
10. Interrupted by talkative neighbor followed by a phone call from a friend I was supposed to meet for coffee. Tell him I'm running late.
11. Lower the car and I'm done. Put everything away. Park the Si back in its corner and pull the S back into its spot.

Now every time I raised or lowered the car, I went slowly and carefully, only because I have been warned umpteen times to be careful. Also the fact that one of our members was crushed under his car was in mind. So every step of the way I was making sure that the car was jacked up right and not at risk of falling off. Also moved tires and bricks under the car in case a jack stand decided to give way.

and that is why it took 4 hours. I want to work on cars. It has always been something I wanted to do and only never got a chance to do to the fullest. I know there is a chance of mistakes happening, but I gotta start someplace.

I'm going to start with replacing the pads. Once I complete that, I will see if I feel brave enough to tackle the fluid or just take it into the dealer. Considering that every track event has cost me around $300-400 at the dealership I'd rather do it myself. All that is at stake will be a bruised ego and possibly the headache of having the car trailered to the dealer.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

A2... "come on down!!!"
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

and to further assure all of you, Im going into this armed with a whole bunch of DIY instructions including Billmans recommended gravity bleeding.

Also have the shop manuals that have been gleaned for info.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by S2KNFR
A2... "come on down!!!"
I would love to Jeff. Again your offer is very kind

I wanna try it though. If I cant get the wheels off and car up in under 20 minutes, I will send you a PM asking when I can stop by this weekend.

and if I do come, then you make me do all the work while you stand there sipping coors light or diet cola.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
Originally Posted by S2KNFR' timestamp='1302820402' post='20468024
A2... "come on down!!!"
I would love to Jeff. Again your offer is very kind

I wanna try it though. If I cant get the wheels off and car up in under 20 minutes, I will send you a PM asking when I can stop by this weekend.

and if I do come, then you make me do all the work while you stand there sipping coors light or diet cola.

Aashish (or Jeff), if you're in the neighborhood consider stopping by our house. My S is on the road, dent and all!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

sure would love to meet up if I'm in the area Skip. In fact I think a trip is due in addition to Knapp considering Jeff has been there for almost all the Albany area drives and attended the one last year. I need to come if Doug has a drive planned for the summer.

Quick Reply: When is everyone pulling the S back out?!