New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

what a great day!

Old 04-30-2003, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, I forgot....

Rocker, your day trip sounded wonderful.
Here are a few pics from my first day of ownership, notice the locations.

You had a great day for a great drive, thanks for sharing, I'm sorry I was at work all day!
Old 04-30-2003, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-H
[B]
Because he was alive when they raced on it.....

--------

Originally posted by Testut
I knew that Doug would come through on this. Now, what was it that Jerry was saying about the badges...

lmao now kids, I don't want to see blood at our next meet. Lets all just take deep breaths and calm down.

hey h, you like how I have improved my quoting skills
Old 04-30-2003, 11:50 AM

Jimbo, Skip and I go way back, there will be no bloodshed, well unless he spills my beer....

quoting skills are getting better, and remember, I'm here for ya, it's my job, I'm a trained professional.....

Actually, my grandfather was a mechanic and co-owner of an MG TC that ran on the original course back in 1948 and 1949, the Queen Catherine Cup. About 10 years ago when Mom decided to finally sell her dad's car I spent a lot of time in the research library in the village of Watkins Glen so I had all the right history to document the car. That is when I started taking an extreme interest in motorsports and discovered the joys of the original track, now just a part of the local streets. NOTE- you will find small street signs marking the route that help.

Also, if you ever want to kill a few minutes, check out the research library. One of my friends has his original oil paintings displayed there and the GVC BMW CCA bought a memorial brick that is part of the front sidewalk.

Check it out
http://www.racingarchives.org/
Old 04-30-2003, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish to second Doug's comments. If you've never visited the International Motor Racing Research Center in The Glen, you need to do it and soon. Take a look at some of the videos, especially after you've driven the original course, and you'll come away mightily impressed.

As for Doug and I (and Jerry) gigging each other, it's traditional. Jerry was kind enough to give me a lovely poster of one of the F1 competitions at the Glen in the early days (I was probably in my 50s then ) so he can do no wrong. As for buying a brick at the IMRRC, Doug, where's your brick?!?! In fact, Jerry, I don't remember seeing your name on a brick, either, and it was you who made me contribute $$$ to the s2ki forums
Old 05-01-2003, 04:00 AM

Our club bought a BIG brick; it is one of the 2-color, marble and something else kind. As you walk up to the front door from the main roadside of the building, it is just left of the front door, kind of close to the building. It says something like GVC BMW CCA Ultimate Driving Schools.

If memory still serves me, you can still buy small bricks. In fact I should find out because I would love to add Walter Astles, my grandpa! If memory serves me the small ones were $200. Not bad to be immortalized at the leading motorsport research facility in the country!