New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

what a great day!

Old 04-29-2003, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what a great day!

i dont want to be a post whore or anything. but i thought i would share my great day with you all.

it started with me washing my car all morning.
finaly by 2 pm, my s was looking hot. i couldnt wait to drive it.
so i take off on a little bit of a road trip.

i headed north on 96 to Taughannock Falls in Trummansburg. what a beautifull place. i loved it. eventualy i am going to make it back there to those hiking trails. after an hour or so i desided just one Central NY state park wasnt enough. so i headed to Watkins Glen.

im not familar with the Glen area so i just drove around once i got there. i did see the main entrance to the state park but hiking trails there were closed. i really liked Watkins Glen from what i saw of it.

and the best part about all of it was the driving. this car is so much fun to drive. i even left the maps at home cuz i didnt care if i got lost. being lost only meens that i get to drive my car more.

so now im heading out to IC to pick up the ex/current girlfriend.
then probably a picnic at stewert park or something. hopefully that will go smoothly

enjoy
Old 04-29-2003, 02:53 PM

Sounds like it was a great day! Wish I could have done something like that, I have been at work since 10 this morning and I am here till 8:30 Oh well
Are you gonna come to the Glen at all on Monday or Tuesday to check out the event and hang out?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:55 PM

You picked a great day for a drive. I hope you had the opportunity to drive the original Watkins Glen race course circuit. It is a lovely drive and lets you experience first hand what it must have been like to race in the olden days. Everytime I come down the back side of the old circuit heading back into the village I think to myself, "...and to think they came down this long hill on drum brakes." Truly awe inspiring.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:23 PM

Testut, how do you know where the old race course is? I've been out there a few times and I've always thought about the old track. I'm going there in a couple of weeks and would like to see what the old course was like.

Old 04-30-2003, 03:37 AM

Rocker,

I'm not sure how you'll be coming into Watkins Glen, but head towards the Park entrance on 414/14 South (must be heading south). Across from the courthouse is the original starting line. There is a small monument on the west (right) side of the road and a line is painted across the road. Drive south past the park entrance and take the first right turn (Old Corning Road). After that it's a question of following the historical markers. When in doubt, turn right. The course loops back around and reenters downtown Watkins Glen at the corner of 414/14 where it's a right hand turn to take you back to the starting line. I'm sure someone reading this must have a map or a URL for a map of the original course. Hopefully, they'll add it to this thread.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rocker
[B]Testut, how do you know where the old race course is?
Old 04-30-2003, 04:40 AM

Skips info is absolutely right on.

Here is another look.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:42 AM

Check out this web site for a self guided tour...
http://www.watkinsglen.com/gpfest/selftour.html#tour
Old 04-30-2003, 04:54 AM

I knew that Doug would come through on this. Now, what was it that Jerry was saying about the badges...
Old 04-30-2003, 05:54 AM

Testut & Triple-H, thanks for the info. We're going out that way for a Sunday drive and I thought it would be cool to check out the old course. It's a good excuse to get the S out. Once again, thanks guys.

Steve
'03 spa yellow

Quick Reply: what a great day!