New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

What could cause this?

Old 02-11-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could cause this?

This afternoon, my girlfriend's 2005 Scion tC started to stutter really badly. Driving at any rpm above 2000 would be a struggle. I plugged my OBDII scanner into the diagnostic port and came up with:

* Cylinder 1 misfire
* Ignition circuit malfunction

So, it could be coil packs or spark plugs maybe. We limp it home and I pop off the engine cover to discover:

Underneath the plastic engine cover. There is foam under there that is burnt away. Not sure why there is foam there to begin with as it may be a fire hazard, but whatever.

Coil pack wiring

Closeup of the carnage

Do any of you know what could cause this? I researched some sites and did not find any TSBs that would apply to anything of this nature. Unfortunately the car is over it's 36K mile warranty, but would the dealer cover this one? It's obviously nothing caused by normal wear and tear or driver abuse.

If worst case the dealer won't cover it, how can it be fixed? Obviously fix the wiring, but do I simply cut the wires, splice, and splice into new clip (where do I find a clip?). Is that built into the entire engine wiring harness? Is it a partial harness? I have no idea.

Any advice/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! =)

EDIT: I cross posted this on Honda-tech, and someone suggested that an animal may have chewed on it. Is that a possibility? It's recently been ~10 degrees for the past few days. The animal would somehow have to get under that plastic cover first too.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you cross-post this on the Under the Hood forum here on s2ki ? You might get a quicker response there.

Ellen and I are the only ones on Upstate who are allowed to stay up this late.....and we're from VT and PA
Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I was thinking an animal got to it too.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Critter, for sure.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap...

I'm thinking the burnt foam is the effect, and the cause is that bundle of destroyed wires.

I have to admit, the critter theory seems very plausable.

Did you make a thread in Under the Hood?

What else have you found out?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like something may have chewed through the wiring.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 AM

I wasn't so sure it was an animal until I downloaded the images and zoomed in what I could before the JPEG artifacts got too bad. The fact that the black covering is so neatly removed almost back to the next cylinder is the dead giveaway, as is the neat area of exposed wire on the violet wire. I do find it interesting that there seems to be absolutely no trash lying on the cylinder head under the wiring - did you clean it up?

As for fixes, you could probably patch something together but the connector has some issues, especially with the insulation being removed right up to it. The proper fix ($$$) is a new harness. Check a junk yard - that may be be cheapest. A quick check online shows prices for a Civic and S2K engine harness to be in the $350-400 range...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 AM

Might try looking for the parts you need here:

www.rockauto.com

Looks like a critter got to it, chewed through some wires, that caused the arcing. If you splice a new connector in, I don't see why it wouldn't work properly (use good, environmentally sealed splices, not that walmart crap). At the worst, you'll find yourself in the same predicament again, and can know that you have something more serious (sinister?) going on...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by jguerdat,Feb 13 2008, 08:28 AM
I wasn't so sure it was an animal until I downloaded the images and zoomed in what I could before the JPEG artifacts got too bad.
Damn rodents...
It's downright amazing where they can squeeze into.
I worry about this kind of thing with my trailer during winter storage because trailer wiring is in general so very exposed, and I have no idea why mice like to chew wire, but it is a fact, they do!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:44 AM

Sham: if you can wait a few more days, I have some good aircraft quality enviro splices I can hook you up with. (I'm in AZ till this weekend, though)

Quick Reply: What could cause this?