New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate MOTORCYCLE CHAT thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Triple-H
I'm going to approach it very, very slowly, it's only been 1-month 1-week and 1-day since surgery...
I figure I'll get air in the tires and go for a short little ride on Saturday, and see how it goes.
Today was a bonus day, warm and dry and got out of work early... I don't know what happened to the predicted rain, but I could not be happier.

37-miles I rode tonight. The first 20 or so were completely without not only pain, but I totally forgot about my surgery.
Then I got on the binders hard, my hand moved forward on the bar, and I went over a little bump, and the incision area that had not been touching the bar got whacked. It was not brutal, but it got my attention.

The goal for the next ride is 50 miles, I had hoped to do 25 tonight and I was clearly able to. Next ride I'll be way more alert to allowing my palm to ride too far forward on the grip.

Overall, I could not be happier. Last year it took me about 2-months to feel as good as I do now just 1-month after surgery, and last year I never had the surgery till the first week in March, so I'm way ahead of where I was last year at this time. Yahoo!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1331812888' post='21510678
I'm going to approach it very, very slowly, it's only been 1-month 1-week and 1-day since surgery...
I figure I'll get air in the tires and go for a short little ride on Saturday, and see how it goes.
Today was a bonus day, warm and dry and got out of work early... I don't know what happened to the predicted rain, but I could not be happier.

37-miles I rode tonight. The first 20 or so were completely without not only pain, but I totally forgot about my surgery.
Then I got on the binders hard, my hand moved forward on the bar, and I went over a little bump, and the incision area that had not been touching the bar got whacked. It was not brutal, but it got my attention.

The goal for the next ride is 50 miles, I had hoped to do 25 tonight and I was clearly able to. Next ride I'll be way more alert to allowing my palm to ride too far forward on the grip.

Overall, I could not be happier. Last year it took me about 2-months to feel as good as I do now just 1-month after surgery, and last year I never had the surgery till the first week in March, so I'm way ahead of where I was last year at this time. Yahoo!
Use your knees to grip the tank under braking, that'll help.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:08 PM

Who wants a VFR?

2001 VFR Spencerport
Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Who wants a VFR?

2001 VFR Spencerport
Looks nice for sure
Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 AM

Use your knees to grip the tank under braking, that'll help.
Yup, that's my normal riding procedure, gripping the tank is just like riding bareback which I did a lot of when I was a kid
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 AM

So Mark, I got the coat, the helmet, the gloves, the boots, the bike, and about 60,000 miles of riding experience, and I need to learn how to ride this monster better, I know I'm leaving a ton of performance on the table. Do you have a suggestion for an advanced driver training class? I'm not so sure I want to do anything at a race track, but I think some one on one with an instructor would be a good thing. Any thoughts or suggestions on a class?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Who wants a VFR?

2001 VFR Spencerport
Fantastic deal, price is right.

Sadly, a bit more bike than I would like though.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1331867281' post='21513386
Who wants a VFR?

2001 VFR Spencerport
Fantastic deal, price is right.

Sadly, a bit more bike than I would like though.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 AM

Marc, I live in Spencerport. Come on over this weekend and we will go look at it together!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:35 AM

So Mark, I got the coat, the helmet, the gloves, the boots, the bike, and about 60,000 miles of riding experience, and I need to learn how to ride this monster better, I know I'm leaving a ton of performance on the table. Do you have a suggestion for an advanced driver training class? I'm not so sure I want to do anything at a race track, but I think some one on one with an instructor would be a good thing. Any thoughts or suggestions on a class?
Unfortunately, I am not much help on this subject.

There are two programs that interest me, but both are out of state.

Sport Touring Advanced Rider Training

Riders Workshop

Quick Reply: Upstate MOTORCYCLE CHAT thread