New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate MOTORCYCLE CHAT thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I dragged pegs on the Nighthawk S and routinely dragged a toe on the ST1100. Haven't gotten there yet on the VFR. Not for a lack of trying, it just has more corner clearance.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Inspection for me tomorrow, sure hope I don't have to ride over there in the rain........
Old 06-01-2013, 01:28 PM

Went out for breakfast, got the inspection done, ran a few errands, got 60 some miles on it today

CONE_MARK - me gots two, sort of three, maybe four questions for ya

You have the interlaced braking system on yours right?
I have it on mine, and so far I have found it very neutral, no real change over what I'm used to
Typically for stopping I use the fronts almost all the time, maybe a little of the rears at the very last coupe of feet before a stop
For starting up into an intersection corner, as well as many turning onto another road kind of corner, I use the back brake along with the throttle
It's sort of like a tension between the rear brakes, and the twist of the throttle
I can compensate for too much throttle with just a bit of toe on the rear brake, and the whole bike although in tension, feels just oh so stable and comfy
This was a habit I got into with the Nighthawk 650 as it really let me scoot out of the corner because of the stability
So now, I have the second one for ya...
What kind of wear rate, maybe miles, are you seeing on your brake pads, and how are the fronts wearing compared to the backs?
I replaced all my pads in '10-'11, and in all honest I bet in that time I got no more that 10k miles on the bike
I noticed today, I need to replace my rear pads this year, and holy crap, the fronts are not far behind
Initially I'm really surprised by this rate, then I think, ok, my dragging the rears has not helped, and I can't help but think of my track experience
I would say the brake compound on the Nightie was hard, it worked well for what it was on, but still, kind of non-aggressive
I would think the VFR's compound is way more grippier/aggressive, thus shorter lived
So, what are your overall thoughts to my story?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM

Just saw your post Doug...

I just checked my brakes today. I pulled the wheels off in preparation for mounting the new tires. I have new pads so I was able to compare them to what was on the bike. At 22,600 miles, I'd say the fronts are at about 50% worn and the rears are 60-70% worn. I use the rear brake just about anytime I apply the front brakes. I find if I apply the rear early in the braking process the front doesn't dive as much. I do drag the rear in conjunction with the throttle in very slow, tight U-turns as it helps stabilize the bike. I tend to carry braking into corners, but I would say I'm off the brake as I roll on throttle.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Preview of the 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Its looks have me uncontrollably

Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by A 2
Preview of the 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Its looks have me uncontrollably

Looks like fun!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Also looks like a rip-off of Triumph's Speed Triple
Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Just saw your post Doug...
I just checked my brakes today. I pulled the wheels off in preparation for mounting the new tires. I have new pads so I was able to compare them to what was on the bike. At 22,600 miles, I'd say the fronts are at about 50% worn and the rears are 60-70% worn. I use the rear brake just about anytime I apply the front brakes. I find if I apply the rear early in the braking process the front doesn't dive as much. I do drag the rear in conjunction with the throttle in very slow, tight U-turns as it helps stabilize the bike. I tend to carry braking into corners, but I would say I'm off the brake as I roll on throttle.
I need to see if I can figure out what/where I bought pads...
Thanks for the update, I'm thinking I'm getting a decent bit more wear than you, and I know they are not dragging
Where did you get your pads, and do you remember what brand they were?
I may have gotten something too cheap, or just a bit more performance oriented than I need, and I will say this, holy crap does this thing pull down the speed when I ask it to
Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM

Saturday morning looks good, I'm thinking I'm going to breakfast in Rushville, east side of Canandaigua Lake about half way down, and about 4-miles est of the water as the crow flies, which means I'll have to loop it to get home
Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Where did you get your pads, and do you remember what brand they were?
Highly recommended by VFRD:

http://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-FA261HH-Disc-Brake/dp/B006B28A94/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Honda|59&Model=VFR800%20I nterceptor|20140&Year=2000|2000&carId=002&n=156841 81&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=motorcycle

Quick Reply: Upstate MOTORCYCLE CHAT thread