New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate MOTORCYCLE CHAT thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, everything that I was reading on the 599 forums suggests that yellow usually decreases value over black. Most people are saying for average mileage you should be getting 3k-3.2k for the bikes. Most mods on the bikes merely decrease the value for me.

People are trying to sell these things for outrageous prices now (like $1k higher) simply because I think it is the start of the riding season.

I'm prepared to wait. But, I'm not prepared to browbeat someone because they're asking WAY higher, and if I have to travel a long way to get it, that is a cost I need to factor in as well.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1305115362' post='20562786
He gave me a price of $34/wheel for mount and balance if I bring in the wheels and the new tires plus $2/old tire for NYS disposal fee.
West Side Cycle did mine for $25 a tire last time, but had me take the old tires with me. Not a problem for me, as the town will take them for free during the spring cleanup. This time, he quoted the same price, but I'm buying the tires from him. Not sure if he would raise it if I wasn't buying tires from him.
Last time I went to Hollink, it was $45 a tire if you didn't buy from them.
I'm more than happy with close to my house and $34 per
Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
I'm prepared to wait.
That's good!
That will clearly help make the purchase price lower

I was done waiting
Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1305029258' post='20558097
Installed my heated grips Saturday. The instructions said to use epoxy to glue them down. I have never needed any adhesive in the past, but the throttle side was loose. I ended up using a spray adhesive that I found in the basement. The grip slipped so bad yesterday, that it was difficult to ride. When I got home, I turned the grips on for a few minutes to see if it would help cure the adhesive. This morning it was 90% better. Slipped a very small amount. Not even noticeable while riding. Hope it finishes curing today. The true test will be to run with the heaters on and see if the glue softens.
Love the new controller! So much better than the rocker switch that shorted out everytime it rained.
Looks like I will have to try the epoxy. I ran the heaters this morning, and now the grip is slipping again. Guess the adhesive softens with heat.
Good luck with the glue!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 AM

Ordered...

Due here mid next week sometime
Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Just got the call...my Michelins are here.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice looking rubber Doug.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Just got the call...my Michelins are here.
Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
Nice looking rubber Doug.
Cone- as in what your gardener called and said they are at the house or did you ship them to the bike shop?

NH- thanks, the BT-020 is what is on the bike now, they are sold as OE, the S-023 seemed a bit more advanced so I figured I would give them a shot. I suspect the next tires after these will be an even harder compound, I need more of the touring, and less of the sport, although these are about as far to the touring as you can go, if I only get 6,500 miles out of the rear it is not hard enough
Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Cone- as in what your gardener called and said they are at the house or did you ship them to the bike shop?
I ordered them through the shop, so they have them.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1305119082' post='20562956
[quote name='Conedodger' timestamp='1305029258' post='20558097']
Installed my heated grips Saturday. The instructions said to use epoxy to glue them down. I have never needed any adhesive in the past, but the throttle side was loose. I ended up using a spray adhesive that I found in the basement. The grip slipped so bad yesterday, that it was difficult to ride. When I got home, I turned the grips on for a few minutes to see if it would help cure the adhesive. This morning it was 90% better. Slipped a very small amount. Not even noticeable while riding. Hope it finishes curing today. The true test will be to run with the heaters on and see if the glue softens.
Love the new controller! So much better than the rocker switch that shorted out everytime it rained.
Looks like I will have to try the epoxy. I ran the heaters this morning, and now the grip is slipping again. Guess the adhesive softens with heat.
Good luck with the glue!
[/quote]
Success! (I think ) Epoxied the right grip on. Seems to be holding much better and the epoxy hasn't even fully cured yet. While I was at it, I fixed something that was bugging me. The new grips are 1/2-3/4 of an inch longer than the handle bars. This meant there was an unsupported portion out by the bar end. Tonight, I found some PVC pipe in the basement that was the correct ID to fit over the male end of the bar end. I then turned down the OD by hand using a bench grinder, so that it fit the ID of the grip. Cut two pieces to length and inserted them in the grips, followed up by installing the bar ends. Now that area is firmly supported!

Edit 5/12: I am declaring victory! Grip did not slip on the way to work this morning, even with the heat on high!!

Quick Reply: Upstate MOTORCYCLE CHAT thread