New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's

Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 AM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1310644392' post='20778327
I was given a similar choice when I graduated from high school. I didn't have to move out, but if I wasn't going to college, I was paying rent. I tried the rent thing for a year, and then went to college.
I know lots of younger kids today that I feel would be much better off if their parents had backbones like ours did
Do know what it costs to go to college these days? Kids still are choosing college and most of the time they, or their parents end up with a boat load of college loans. Jobs are pretty scarce when they do graduate college, so many have to take crap jobs at minimal pay, there is often no choice but to return home to Mom and Dad.

Things are very different than when we were young. I moved out at an early age and never went back.At one point, I was earning $95.00/week, getting $25.00/week in child support and living on my own. I got by. The economy is a mess and cost of living is extremely expensive.

I agree some parents make life a bit too easy for young adults, but there are many who have limited options.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Do know what it costs to go to college these days? Kids still are choosing college and most of the time they, or their parents end up with a boat load of college loans. Jobs are pretty scarce when they do graduate college, so many have to take crap jobs at minimal pay, there is often no choice but to return home to Mom and Dad.

Things are very different than when we were young. I moved out at an early age and never went back.At one point, I was earning $95.00/week, getting $25.00/week in child support and living on my own. I got by. The economy is a mess and cost of living is extremely expensive.

I agree some parents make life a bit too easy for young adults, but there are many who have limited options.
I went to a cheap, two year state school. Finished with no loans fortunately. It was mid 80s and the job market sucked. Took me a year to find a job in my field. During that time I was living with my parents and working for less pay than I was before going to school. Six months after I moved out of my parents house, they packed up and left town! Guess they didn't want me coming back again.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lainey
Do know what it costs to go to college these days?
Things are very different than when we were young.
Yes, I'm extremely aware
Not only are things different, but people are too, and not necessarily for the better
Old 07-14-2011, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on my own since I was 17. As a senior I went to school until about noon then got out early so I could go to work 4-6 hours.

I also got about $75 a month in food stamps because I was under 18 and still going to school. That stopped when I turned 18 and I worked full time for $110 take home.

I would have LOVED the opportunity to goto college but it was not in the cards.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:55 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

If someone would pay for it, I would love to be a career student. I just love the campus atmosphere.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Figured i would ask here since this is an upstate NY thread and i've met most of you already. Is anyone here a consultant for Ambit Energy?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tadashi
I've been on my own since I was 17. As a senior I went to school until about noon then got out early so I could go to work 4-6 hours.

I also got about $75 a month in food stamps because I was under 18 and still going to school. That stopped when I turned 18 and I worked full time for $110 take home.

I would have LOVED the opportunity to goto college but it was not in the cards.
I wasn't on my own at that age, but worked just about every day after school, close to 30 hours a week during high school to save money for college.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:01 AM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1310646998' post='20778384
Do know what it costs to go to college these days?
Things are very different than when we were young.
Yes, I'm extremely aware
Not only are things different, but people are too, and not necessarily for the better
And that's likely what the previous generation said about our generation.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:03 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KNFR
My dad too said it was go to college, or go to the marines.
I chose college as the hours were better...
My father gave me a choice. I could either go to college, which my parents and grandparents helped me to pay.

Or I could join the Marines and go to the Annapolis Naval Academy. Upon graduation, I would be presented with a new Corvette (because my father was a Corvette guy).

Seeing as the country went to war halfway through my undergrad career, I'm fairly confident I made the right choice
Old 07-14-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I went to a cheap, two year state school. Finished with no loans fortunately. It was mid 80s and the job market sucked. Took me a year to find a job in my field. During that time I was living with my parents and working for less pay than I was before going to school. Six months after I moved out of my parents house, they packed up and left town! Guess they didn't want me coming back again.
I did RIT for 5.25 years, used the extra year and a quarter to stack up a couple extra degrees and minors
Tuition was free, but I still has some sizable loans due to room and board costs, let alone school supplies
It was early '80's and I got a job almost right out of school, much of that was due to the support of RIT and good networking
That job was a contract, a 2-year only agreement, the man I worked for was older and had a specific retirement plan
He agreed to take me in under his wing and work me hard, but for no more than 2-years
When that job ran out, I was screwed... I was unemployed, living in an apartment just barely getting buy with a few freelance jobs
The unemployment lasted for almost 16-months, this was one of the lowest points in my life, but no way could I allow myself to crawl home
I as a person would not allow myself to go back and admit I needed help, maybe I'm retarded, but it's who I am
My Accord was on it's last legs, I was desperate, and I eventually took an anything job in my field, and things started to turn around
I bought the '87 CRX-Si after I started this job and things just kept getting better
Then the gods shown down upon me and I landed the dog butler gig, and that was the single biggest thing that propelled me out of debt
A year into that gig it got even better, and I landed what I considered my 1st real job, 7-years after graduating
And I remember clearly, it was my B-day, I turned 30, my 1st day of work was Wednesday the 30th, and I had a starting salary of $30k
That's when I bought the '90 CRX-Si and the '85 Nighthawk 650

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's