New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's

Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aashish2
This is growing on me. Maybe buy one used as a track car instead of the S2000 That way I wont have to worry about things like roll bars etc.
Nice choice Aash
When it comes to schools, the bottom line is fixed roof of any kind rules...
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM

This is growing on me. Maybe buy one used as a track car instead of the S2000 That way I wont have to worry about things like roll bars etc.
Notice the Veloster influence in the re-design

Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM

Here is a promise for ya Aash
You get a Genesis coupe, and I have Veloster Turbo
And we will do a driving school together
Who will have the best lap time?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Genny Coupe is not cheap. All the used lisitngs on Auto Trader are pricy. I thought it'd be a cheaper alternative to the Z.

Fixed roof may be a better choice, but the fact is most other RWD cars have under steer engineered into them. I'd never be able to drive something that is as much on the knife's edge as the S2000 is. Instructors like you are a rare breed and becoming rarer still.

You know I have as much FWD love as you do. So that wont work on me. I want to learn RWD, but all other cars except the Miata are engineered for understeer including the BMW Z4
Old 09-29-2011, 06:26 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Notice the Veloster influence in the re-design

dislike I think. The old design is much cleaner.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:39 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

a mix of flattering and poor reviews for the Genny Coupe.
http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/genes...s.html?ps=used

Best to stick to the known devil, Honda.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

front end of that thing is Smog Monster...
Old 09-30-2011, 04:05 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm blown away by what Hyundai is doing as of late.

A few weeks ago, I got to ride in a new Elantra. The car looks great inside and out and the ride was pretty decent - and I was in the back seat with plenty of room. A great alternative to the Civic. The only question is whether the resale value will hold with it the way it does on the Civic and Corolla.

We sat in a Sonata, and though we didn't have time to take it for a test drive, I was solidly impressed at the interior. I would say that it rivaled an entry-level luxury vehicle in terms of features, styling, and overall feel. It trumped the interior of the Legacy.

The Genesis coupe has intrigued me since it came out. I love the look of them, but I just don't see many on the road. The reviews I've read of it have been mixed. Since I'm not in the market for another RWD performance vehicle, I've not really looked into it more.

Probably the most interesting of Hyundai's lineup is the Equus. I finally saw one the other day, and I was trying to figure out what the heck I was looking at. I initially thought it was a Mercedes just from the shape of it, but when I got closer I realized what I was seeing. I don't know how well it will sell, and I think this might be one area where Hyundai dropped the ball. I think they should have created a new nameplate (a la Toyota and Lexus) to have a higher/upscale company (Genesis?) to offer their flagship vehicles.

At any rate, Toyota bores me. Honda has lost their way. Nissan has some good offerings. Subaru has some good offerings, though with all the style of a flounder left out in the parking lot on a hot day. Ford is doing some decent things. Chevy only has one vehicle I'm interested in (Vette), and Chrysler still has a long way to go.

Hyundai is kicking the crap out of all of them. Their biggest hurdle remaining is the resale value.

I'm starting to wonder if Hyundai is now going to become my new Honda? Also realize this is coming from a guy who said 8 years ago after selling his Hyundai "Never again!"
Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 AM

Marc, keep talking like that and we will have to revoke your Crazy

I totally agree with ya, and all the good that is happening with Hyundai is carrying right on over to Kia.

I had some asswipe in car talk tell me Kia copied the Accord, that they have nothing original

WTF kind of crack was he on?
The top car looks like it could have come out of almost any high-end luxury-performance car company
The bottom car is a ho-hum nothing special family sedan
Honestly believing the Optima is just a copy of the Accord is, well, f'ing retarded
That Optima is hot, that Accord is boring

Old 09-30-2011, 04:26 AM

Genny Coupe is not cheap. All the used lisitngs on Auto Trader are pricy. I thought it'd be a cheaper alternative to the Z.
Fixed roof may be a better choice, but the fact is most other RWD cars have under steer engineered into them. I'd never be able to drive something that is as much on the knife's edge as the S2000 is. Instructors like you are a rare breed and becoming rarer still.
You know I have as much FWD love as you do. So that wont work on me. I want to learn RWD, but all other cars except the Miata are engineered for understeer including the BMW Z4
You can unengineer much of that understeer right out with a new allignment and different settings
Don't ecclude cars just because they come from the factory in "safe mode"
The Nissan Z would be an awesome choice as well, I have seen plenty on the track, and with the traction control off, they go like stink
The Z had always been one of my desired next cars
And believe me, wanting to learn RWD on track is something I totally get, that is exactly why the CRX-Si was retired and the S2000 bought

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's