New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's

Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by aashish2' timestamp='1317321134' post='21023508
[quote name='Headchef' timestamp='1317320865' post='21023487']
Hey Doug, I know your big on Hankooks- I will be getting new tires for my S for next season and would like to know why you recommend them and which model.
While Doug will fill you in on the info, do keep in mind that the tread width of the Hankook's may not match that of the S-02's you have on the AP1 wheels. Fronts should not be a problem, but I'd pay close attention to finding a tire as close to the S-02's as possible with all that power you make. If you plan on upgrading the wheels (17") then I think the CR specification tire sizes would work well for you.
If Dave still has 16" wheels he may be screwed
I got rid of my 16" wheels because I could no longer buy 245/45-16's for the rear, and I was not about to go back to the narrower 225/50-16
I currently run 215/45-17 and 255/40-17, the whole idea of running 225's on the rear just seems wrong to me
Good luck Dave, if you are still on 16's, you are severely limited
[/quote]

I looked on Tire Rack and they only seem to have competition tires in that size.

Dave's car looks pristine and period correct with those AP1 wheels and I'd hate to see him upgrade to the 17's. He has one of the most beautiful AP1's out there. I hope he continues to stick with the S-02's for a while.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: Hyundai Veloster

That thing is hot!
Surprisingly, I really like that too! Even the headlights work for me. I like things that are different from every other car
Old 09-29-2011, 02:53 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by klaxian
Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1317334549' post='21024217
Re: Hyundai Veloster

That thing is hot!
Surprisingly, I really like that too! Even the headlights work for me. I like things that are different from every other car
I think Hyundai has a problem. It could very well be a nice problem to have.

The Veloster fully equipped with DCT, Style pack, Tech Package, plus accessories like floormats, and mud guards steps over into Genesis coupe territory.

This is for the base model mind you. Now the R version or Turbo hot hatch will likely be priced somewhat similarly, if not more. I fully expect Hyundai to equip it with the goodies like LSD and firmer suspension upgrades. This could price the hot hatch at around the Genesis Coupe price (higher or lower).

Will Hyundai then sacrifice one so that the other may survive? They could get rid of the 2.0 Coupe, and make the Genesis coupe available only with a 6-cylinder for a higher price.

I'm sure they have pondered or are pondering this and they will likely manage the situation. I'd rather spend the money for the R-spec 2.0 Coupe that comes with Brembos though unless I had my mind set on purchasing a hatch owing to practical considerations.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I believe there is room for both at the same, or close to the same price point because they appeal to very different buyers, coupe, hatchback, RWD, FWD- very different buyers.

Plus I honestly believe in many ways the Veloster is a big gamble, nothing more, nothing less. If it works they have a home run because they can make it into 2 very different cars, the Genesis, RWD Coupe regardless of how much power is only one car, the Veloater on the other hand can almist be 3 cars, hot hatch, fuel sipper hatch, or fuel sipper sedan. That's a huge variety for a single body.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:36 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Honestly I believe there is room for both at the same, or close to the same price point because they appeal to very different buyers, coupe, hatchback, RWD, FWD- very different buyers.
base Veloster, Im sure wont compete and is different enough. But a turbo/R-spec that has more impressive performance than the Genesis Coupe (owing to its lighter weight) is what Im thinking about. But as I said before, its a nice problem to have
Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM

But RWD will honestly never compete head to head with FWD.

NOTE- I made a big edit to my post while you were quoting the original smaller thought.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Sequence X has already started the aftermarket boom that is sure to come in a big way

http://www.sqmall.net/
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

NOTE- I made a big edit to my post while you were quoting the original smaller thought.
ok, I'll bite. The Genesis and its variants are where Hyundai wants to go or aspires to go. That is the premium luxury / performance territory. I think they have a great cars in the Genesis Coupe, Sedan and Equus Sedan.

In a sense Hyundai has something along the lines of the 7, 5 and 3-series with those 3 cars.

Im not sure how much of a difference a hot Veloster will have over a Genesis Coupe. For the basic Veloster, I agree that the FWD versus RWD will come into effect, but will the pricing cause some friction between the hot hatch veloster and the genesis 2.0 is the question. They could theoretically build have the hot hatch veloster because they can, but I dont see them going away from the Genesis side. They will want to grow there too.

Again the Mini S is vastly more inexpensive than the 3 Series and the JCW is miles apart in pricing from the M3.

As you say, there could be no issue and I would hope so as both are decent cars (veloster appears decent). Can't help but think about how they intend to keep both cars different in terms of value to the performance-seeking customer
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Veloster prototype with carbon primer hood.
Way ahead of it's time.
Seriously, I think of this when I see that.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by aashish2
Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1317339703' post='21024654
ok, I'll bite. The Genesis and its variants are where Hyundai wants to go or aspires to go. That is the premium luxury / performance territory. I think they have a great cars in the Genesis Coupe, Sedan and Equus Sedan.
In a sense Hyundai has something along the lines of the 7, 5 and 3-series with those 3 cars.
Respectfully I don't agree...
I believe the Hyundai vision is much greater than that
I see them going more for the model of Nissan
Think about the Nissan product line, it includes everything but a moon walker
BMW honestly is a much narrower product line

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's